Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you're stunned that people haven't seen....

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Any American who was alive and functional in the 80s or 90s would have had that one thrust at them from all directions every December, maybe. It wasn't ever broadcasted here in the 80s or 90s.

I saw it (for the first time) this Christmas so now I don't have to again. I know lots of people love it, but it was most decidedly not my thing.

I'm surprised when people haven't seen Gone With The Wind too. And The Jungle Book. Also, for people my age and younger, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Matrix.

For Swedish people, I'm surprised if they never saw Ivanhoe with Anthony Andrews because that's been running on New Year's Day since 1980 and you'd have had to work hard to avoid seeing it at least once.

Ivanhoe, really? How has that version become a classic, anywhere?

Flicka

One Too Many
Ivanhoe, really? How has that version become a classic, anywhere?

Because it's exactly the sort of cheese you enjoy when you're sickeningly hung over? Or because it's perfect to put your kids in front when you're sickeningly hung over?

ETA: And because up until 1993 we (as in Sweden) had two (2) channels and it was always Ivanhoe on one and nothing on the other on New Year's Day. :)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I haven't seen the Godfather films or ET or Top Gun.

I only recently watched Princess Bride for the first time!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen the Godfather films or ET or Top Gun.

I only recently watched Princess Bride for the first time!

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

PB was a huge hit in Canada. When Mandy Patinkin does live shows, he ends by saying that line. Canadian crowds go wild. Americans go "wha'?".

Any American who was alive and functional in the 80s or 90s would have had that one thrust at them from all directions every December, maybe. It wasn't ever broadcasted here in the 80s or 90s.

I saw it (for the first time) this Christmas so now I don't have to again. I know lots of people love it, but it was most decidedly not my thing.

I'm surprised when people haven't seen Gone With The Wind too. And The Jungle Book. Also, for people my age and younger, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Matrix.

For Swedish people, I'm surprised if they never saw Ivanhoe with Anthony Andrews because that's been running on New Year's Day since 1980 and you'd have had to work hard to avoid seeing it at least once.

There is a great scene in the film Home Alone showing the family has made it to France for their Christmas vacation. The kids are bored to tears watching a dubbed to French version of It's a Wonderful Life. I believe it's the scene where George says no to Potter regarding the job offer. Stunning!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."....

Damn, I've seen some of that movie about ten times, I'll have to watch all of it.

My kid thought Scarface was the best action movie ever until I MADE him watch the Godfather series. I always liked Fat Clemenza.

Later

Flicka

One Too Many
But it has Kelly McGillis in it! And cool planes. And Canadian actor Michael Ironside!

Actually, you're right....

It has one of my favourite lines in it though. It's after one of their training sessions when one of the teams failed and 'died' and afterwards someone says to them in the locker room: "We regret to inform you that your sons died because they were stupid."

I quote that a lot at work. :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
To me, it's generational. For someone with 10 years of me on either side, I'd have to say The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, Jaws (also a huge big deal when it was released, the original Planet of the Apes, Bullitt, Easy Rider, and The Exorcist.

I was exposed to a lot of old movies when I was a kid in the 60s (the 4:30 Movie) so I watched a lot of films that were made up to 40 years before I was born. Of those films, my top pick would have to be The Wizard of Oz, Ben Hur, and my favorite, It's a Wonderful Life, as well as It Happened One Night which I am sure was one of the raciest films of its day.

Oh yeah, and The Ten Commandments.

Last edited:

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, and, frankly, I have no intention of doing so. I just can't stand the subject matter.

I have seen Top Gun. Wife's favorite. Ex-girlfriend's favorite. Dumbest excuse for aircraft action I've ever seen.

DNO

One Too Many
Before I retired I was Head of Arts at a local high school. I was sitting in the staffroom one day having lunch and noticed two teachers...one a math teacher, the other an English teacher...standing in front of a poster that listed the winners of the Oscar for best picture, right back to Wings. Both were in their early thirties. I asked them them which ones they liked the best and they both admitted they had only seen one. One...out of all the best picture winners since the late twenties. I even pointed out ones like The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Wizard of Oz....nothing. I was appalled. They asked me how many I've seen and I replied every one of them, of course.

They were nonplussed. These were educated people (theoretically, at least) who frequently went to see current films. I really didn't know how to react to this one.

I'm used to seeing films that nobody else seems to know about...The Beast, Gallipoli, Dead Man, The Man Who Wasn't There, etc. ....but this one was too much.

WH1

Practically Family
I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, and, frankly, I have no intention of doing so. I just can't stand the subject matter.

I have seen Top Gun. Wife's favorite. Ex-girlfriend's favorite. Dumbest excuse for aircraft action I've ever seen.

Wow just because Tom Cruise was the first navy fighter jock with a phone book on the seat so he could see out of the cockpit.

Quadrophenia is brilliant, but it has almost no cultural presence in the US.

OT: I'm actually terribly behind on classic films, but as far as cultural standbys go...I always get very surprised when people say they haven't seen The Princess Bride. I've only met two people who, having seen it, didn't like it.

Disliked "The Princess Bride?". Philistines!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui