Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you're stunned that people haven't seen....

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
How about movies you would be stunned if people have seen?

This would be me because I've never seen just about ALL the movies mentioned here. Never saw The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, etc. None interest me. Tried to watch Citizen Kane, but gave up after 10 minutes. Never was a big movie watcher -- more into music.

But as for movies I'd be shocked if someone else actually saw -- JUST IMAGINE (1930)!! It's my favourite film! No one I've ever met has seen it and I doubt I'll ever meet anyone who has! lol And I'll admit I'm a bit of a "hipster" when it comes to classic film. I like the obscure 20s and 30s programmer movies over the big names. I often bypass the big names to spend time with the little ones -- which I know I'll enjoy more. Men Are Like That (1930) is a good one no one has ever seen. So is a cute Minna Gombel movie called Women Must Dress (1935) and another from 1935 called Convention Girl. Please tell me someone else on here has seen these? :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Laser disk? I remember the VHS/Betamax wars. Our local video store (boy, is that expression fading into obscurity) sold the machines as well as renting tapes. A guy came in and asked the owner his opinion on which system was better, and why. After saying that Betamax was "technically" superior and with an allegedly better picture, he reamed off the myriad advantages of VHS - longer recording times, four-head playback, re-winding without spooling the tape through the heads, and so on. Without saying anything the other guy turned around and left.

The store owner said "must be a Betamax owner".

That was 1983.

I was working at NBC in NY back then. I remember buying an RCA VHS VCR with a remote control, a big deal back then, on a no-interest payment plan, for, are you ready - $400. This was a 1st generation top-loader - no stereo. That machine lasted almost forever.

The year before that I worked in a video store. They were everywhere back then. We rented movies in both VHS and Beta formats but VHS was dominant even in 1982.

This would be me because I've never seen just about ALL the movies mentioned here. Never saw The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, etc. None interest me. Tried to watch Citizen Kane, but gave up after 10 minutes. Never was a big movie watcher -- more into music.

But as for movies I'd be shocked if someone else actually saw -- JUST IMAGINE (1930)!! It's my favourite film! No one I've ever met has seen it and I doubt I'll ever meet anyone who has! lol And I'll admit I'm a bit of a "hipster" when it comes to classic film. I like the obscure 20s and 30s programmer movies over the big names. I often bypass the big names to spend time with the little ones -- which I know I'll enjoy more. Men Are Like That (1930) is a good one no one has ever seen. So is a cute Minna Gombel movie called Women Must Dress (1935) and another from 1935 called Convention Girl. Please tell me someone else on here has seen these? :D

[video=youtube;zD5YWJbni6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD5YWJbni6E[/video]

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I was working at NBC in NY back then. I remember buying an RCA VHS VCR with a remote control, a big deal back then, on a no-interest payment plan, for, are you ready - $400. This was a 1st generation top-loader - no stereo. That machine lasted almost forever.

The year before that I worked in a video store. They were everywhere back then. We rented movies in both VHS and Beta formats but VHS was dominant even in 1982.

We bought our first VCR in 1982, top loader too, you had to "programme" the stations using little dials, with switches to indicate VHF or UHF stations, I think you could pre-programme 24 stations. It was a top of the line model apparently, stereo, something like a two-week in advance timer for recording, and set my mum back - ARE YOU SITTING DOWN?

$1200.

Welcome to Canada, home of higher prices....

It too, however, lasted into the 90s.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
My mother has never watched it, because of the scene where Zuzu says "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings." She said that scene in the preview makes her gag. Sometimes I wonder how we're related :eusa_doh:

This movie flopped at the box office when it came out and was appreciated by only a few for decades until it started being shown en masse on TV. It's one of our favorite movies of all time and both my husband and I cry buckets at the end of it, while my parents (in their 80's) are completely unmoved by it and don't understand why we love it so much. I don't get it.

rue

This movie flopped at the box office when it came out and was appreciated by only a few for decades until it started being shown en masse on TV. It's one of our favorite movies of all time and both my husband and I cry buckets at the end of it, while my parents (in their 80's) are completely unmoved by it and don't understand why we love it so much. I don't get it.

My mom is only 60 years old, so it's not because of it being a flop at the box office. She's just really weird lol

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I've not seen them ever. Well, not entirely true. I tried watching the first one when it came out. To me, it didn't live up to all the hype and I quit watching after an hour into it. I've avoided the rest entirely though.

Honestly, I can't imagine anyone who has not read the books (and likes them) liking the movies. I love the movies, but only because I'm also a Potter book fan. The plots are so complex that if I had never read the books, I would have hated the movies.

But then, not everyone likes this genre, either, so that is also understood.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Isn't that Gremlins? Which I incidentally never saw. Goonies is about a bunch of kids who muck about in some sort of caves/dungeon (all I remember; I saw it back in the '80s and wasn't impressed so here's one person who didn't like it): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089218/

I think The Goonies is one of those films that is a generational, moment-in-time things.....you had to be a 8 - 13 year old in the mid 1980's, in America, and have had to seen it at the movie theater when it came out, to appreciate its appeal.

For a current example, the movie Napoleon Dynamite from a few years ago. Everyone in a certain age group loved it and "got it", while people over that age group shook their heads and said, "Huh?" as to why anyone could think it remotely funny.

I think The Goonies is one of those films that is a generational, moment-in-time things.....you had to be a 8 - 13 year old in the mid 1980's, in America, and have had to seen it at the movie theater when it came out, to appreciate its appeal.

I've never seen Goonies, but then again I was quite a bit older than 13 in the mid '80s. :D

rue

For a current example, the movie Napoleon Dynamite from a few years ago. Everyone in a certain age group loved it and "got it", while people over that age group shook their heads and said, "Huh?" as to why anyone could think it remotely funny.

Yeah.... that was me.

I've never seen Goonies, but then again I was quite a bit older than 13 in the mid '80s. :D

I was 16 and I loved it :p

BigFitz

Practically Family

I have to say that I enjoyed this movie and I'm 45. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that if you removed Napoleon's glasses, it'd be close to my appearance in high school. Now where did I put my senior picture....

Found the goonies entertaining. Tried to watch Napolean Dynamite, but couldn't stand it. I am okay with that.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

ND appeals to a certain type, I think, rather than age group. My wife and I were in our late 30s when it came out, we LOVE it, own it, quote it, because, let's face it, it's SWEET!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot