Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you're stunned that people haven't seen....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree that it's about taste rather than age: I was in my fifties when I saw ND and liked it a lot. But - having been in my late twenties when it came out - I think The Goonies is total junk... The worst kind of B-picture Spielberg slumming, lacking the wit that makes other lesser Spielberg-produced flicks like Young Sherlock Holmes entertaining.

Edward

Bartender
ND appeals to a certain type, I think, rather than age group. My wife and I were in our late 30s when it came out, we LOVE it, own it, quote it, because, let's face it, it's SWEET!

I think you might be right. I'm in my mid late thirties, and hated it so much by the end I was actually daydreaming about doing severe violence upon the eponymous character. I "got" it, but the lead character being so utterly unlikeable killed any appreciation I could have for it.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
ND appeals to a certain type, I think, rather than age group. My wife and I were in our late 30s when it came out, we LOVE it, own it, quote it, because, let's face it, it's SWEET!

You're right, "type" is more appropriate than age. My husband and I were in our late 30's too and loved it. I was a total nerd in Jr./Sr high school though so I could relate to it very well!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
He's also pretty good in "Sunny Side Up," made a year earlier, and also featuring the indomitable Marjorie White. No Martian Queens though.

My love runs deep for Miss Marjorie White! I own a silent movie called Sunny Side Up made in 1926. It stars Vera Reynolds. I bought it off Grapevine Video (remember them?) I'd be stunned if anyone else has seen this.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My love runs deep for Miss Marjorie White!

I hope you've seen her in "Diplomaniacs," a 1933 Wheeler and Woolsey picture in which she gives her absolute ultimate performance, wrestling poor Bert Wheeler to the deck of an ocean liner while bellowing a musical number at the top of her ample lungs. And that's just for starters. One of my favorite forgotten personalities of the pre-code era.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've seen Diplomaniacs! Isn't she shrink-wrapped in that? lol I also have a picture of her on my fridge. And I make my husband watch the Three Stooges episode with her on it when it's on TV! Haha! He loves the Stooges, but not that episode.

I'd be stunned if anyone knew of any other silent film stars besides Charlie Chaplin! lol

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I think you might be right. I'm in my mid late thirties, and hated it so much by the end I was actually daydreaming about doing severe violence upon the eponymous character. I "got" it, but the lead character being so utterly unlikeable killed any appreciation I could have for it.

What's not to like? He's got skills. Bow fighting skills. And he can hunt wolverines in Alaska! And those sweet dance moves.....

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
You're right, "type" is more appropriate than age. My husband and I were in our late 30's too and loved it. I was a total nerd in Jr./Sr high school though so I could relate to it very well!

Napoleon makes me in high school look like a jock. I didn't even play Dungeons and Dragons - I wasn't cool enough....

JFriday

New in Town
I am glad Twelve OClock High was mentioned above. Our local stations tended to play many classic films for mid day matinees asn even a few of our local theatres, including one private owned by a classic movie fan so I was fortunate to get to see many both on television and then select a few to see on the big screen. I would like to add in The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Maltese Falcon, Frankenstein(Clive-Karloff), White Heat, Public Enemy, To Have and Have Not, Robin Hood (Flynn-DeHaviland), The Caine Mutiny and Singing In the Rain to the list of films I am always surprised to hear that others have not seen. In Western Genre, the Man with No Name trilogy comes to mind as should be seen, along with the Magnificent Seven. While less likely as ``Foreign`` Fritz Lang`s Metropolis and Kurosawa`s Seven Samurai also seem not as viewed as I would think would be the case.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
My wife and I just this past summer took a couple to see Casablanca on the big screen. Neither of them had ever seen it. He is 62 and she is in her late 50's. How they missed this great movie in their life is beyond me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider