Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music?

taylord

New in Town
Some times a couple of freinds of mine and I dress up in our "ganster" suits and roll around town. But the problem in we have no music for the style. I put in frank sinatra and they dont like it so we usually end up listening to "gangsta" music (rap). any one got a suggestion for tunes?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Music suggestions...

How about sound track music from films that authentically reflect the Golden Era? Most every modern movie has a accompanying soundtrack CD available with extended versions of the music played during the course of the film. I'll bet by perusing IMDB.com you can put together a list of great movies theme soundtrack titles that should fit the bill for a whole evening of cruising.

http://www.imdb.com

example: Road To Perdition Soundtrack http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257044/soundtrack

Hope that helps! -dixon cannon

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Johnny Cash... you're too young to drive around listening to big band, Sinatra or 20s-40s pop and jazz, you have to grow into that stuff. Try Murder Ballads. Stagger Lee is reinterpreted for the times. Scary!

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
jake_fink said:
...you're too young to drive around listening to big band, Sinatra or 20s-40s pop and jazz, you have to grow into that stuff...

Not necessarily, as it sometimes depends on your taste background. For instance, those who have been into more mainstream and modern culture for awhile might be more likely to automatically label those music types as "uncool", but I went from listening to total 90's "alternative rock" (or whatever you call it!) to Ruth Etting and etc. in a very short time. :)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Not necessarily, as it sometimes depends on your taste background. For instance, those who have been into more mainstream and modern culture for awhile might be more likely to automatically label those music types as "uncool", but I went from listening to total 90's "alternative rock" (or whatever you call it!) to Ruth Etting and etc. in a very short time.

Fair enuff... I'm just working with this:

Some times a couple of freinds of mine and I dress up in our "ganster" suits and roll around town. But the problem in we have no music for the style. I put in frank sinatra and they dont like it so we usually end up listening to "gangsta" music (rap).

In any case, taylord, you should still check out redhotjazz.com. It's a great site with lots of great things to listen to. But I'm still not seeing the lads rolling 'round town with the windows down and Ruth Etting blasting into the street. ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, crapola, no one's too young for good music!!!;)

I was only 13 when I started to listen to 40's swing... I enjoyed 50's Rock, doo-wap and classical already which paved a path for my taste in vintage music. If you guys are driving around in a vintage car, you'd best have some proper tunes but, if it's not, you should find something you're all in agreement on. What kind of car are you guys terrorizing the neighborhood in? Now, if you're the boss who's doing the driving and you want to listen to classy music, tell your friends to go suck a lemon if they don't like what the driver likes!lol My friends learned to like what I was playing if they wanted a ride any where.

Hard 20's or 30's Jazz is really good stuff, get a Duke Ellington CD that covers his late 20's to early 30's stuff, same with Paul Whiteman! That stuff is fun and you guys might enjoy it... you never know and it will open a door to new ideas and it will fit your style better. Well, that's what I think.

=WR=

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Very convincing statements Root!! You are right, you don't want to listen to slow classy stuff if they are 'terrorizing the neighborhood'lol

By the way- I blame you for my discovery & love of Dean Mora...;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
katiemakeup said:
Very convincing statements Root!! You are right, you don't want to listen to slow classy stuff if they are 'terrorizing the neighborhood'lol

By the way- I blame you for my discovery & love of Dean Mora...;)

Well, I'll gladly take on that blame Katiemakeup! To be blamed for some one's love of a band such as his, I thank you!

Say, that's another good idea, you guys can pop in a CD of Dean Mora and still be current... he's a great band, great Jazz music and all recorded with in the last 10 years and later! So, it's not like hearing old recordings, they're all high quality sound and are fresh as a daisy!

Check out Dean Mora's page for those who haven't!!!
http://morasmodern.com/

=WR=

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
jake_fink said:
...But I'm still not seeing the lads rolling 'round town with the windows down and Ruth Etting blasting into the street. ;)

[Giggle!!] I think that would be the cutest thing!
A friend and I were playing Alice Faye and the Brox Sisters in the car during a recent trip. Yes, squares at heart are we!! :D

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
you need the Dropkick Murphys, my friend. Boston Irish punk rock complete with tin whistle and bagpipes. Songs about drinking, fighting, friendship, working and getting married, in that order.

Or lots of Dean Martin and Sammy Davis. Same thing, just more, eh, refined.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I guess it all depends on the kind of gangsters they're trying to be... whether it be "Roring 20's" Hooch bandits or refined mid Century crime bosses... eh, to each his own... me, I'd be WAY more hep to going around town blasting Dean Mora's stuff! That would just screw with people's minds! lol lol lol

=WR=

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
KELLYS CHOICE

The sound of a machine gun was music to his ears !!lol

GEORGEMACHINEGUNKELLY.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk