Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

Albert King

2qk04za.jpg

25fhgde.jpg

30xhrvm.jpg

35lx535.jpg

snnlnc.jpg

34zwu1j.jpg

Out of curiosity, I did a search on Mr. King's guitar. This undated article has the above instrument, along with his original Flying V and another one, in the hands of Steven Seagal.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3813/albert-kings-flying-vs/
"This article originally appeared in VG‘s June 2009 issue. All copyrights are by the author and Vintage Guitar magazine."

Here is the quote from that article that cracks me up:

"Steven Seagal, Mojo Priest"

"This article originally appeared in VG‘s June 2009 issue. All copyrights are by the author and Vintage Guitar magazine."

Thanks. I scrolled all the way down (didn't read the whole thing), and clean missed that. I assume he still has them.

Here is the quote from that article that cracks me up:

"Steven Seagal, Mojo Priest"

He seems to be a man who takes himself to seriously.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I don't remember, if we've ever discussed Louis Armstrong's hats or hat-style. Anyway, I noticed a funny thing in this video from 1956, where he sings "High Society":

First I thought, "Wow, some wild brim-curl right there!". Then I noticed the bow in the wrong side, and my curiousness was awakened. He was actually wearing the hat reversed - front to back. I then did a Google-search, but it seems, he was never a frequent hat wearer. Nevertheless I found this auction for a stingy felt Dobbs, he supposedly wore at his last performance at The Waldorf-Astoria in 71. It had obviously been worn in the same fashion.

Maybe the turned-around style was not just a coincidence ... maybe it was his style(?) Interesting, anyway you put it! :)

In case the vid and/or the auction is removed sometime in the future, here's a couple of pics, showing both the straw from the vid and the felt-fedora from the auction:

LouisArmstrong_1.jpg

LouisArmstrong_2.jpg

LouisArmstrong_3.jpg

I also found this image from a fitting with hatter, Sam Taft, where the hat is put on the "right" way. Wonder what he did to it, when back on the street :D

758px-Hatter_Sam_Taft_with_Louis_Armstrong.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure he got stung by a cannabee just before that last pic with the hatter. I read an interview somewhere, where he stated, he had never set foot on a stage without smoking weed first. You sure couldn't hear it though. Always sharp and tight as a fiddle-string!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure he got stung by a cannabee just before that last pic with the hatter. I read an interview somewhere, where he stated, he had never set foot on a stage without smoking weed first. You sure couldn't hear it though. Always sharp and tight as a fiddle-string!
One of Art Blakey's musicians once told me that Louis had the worst weed in the music business. He said it was "cheap New Awlin's s***, practically legal."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff