Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wesslyn

Practically Family
The 'Poet' was only worn in 'Raiders' ( brown & grey versions) & a different hat was used in each of the following 3 movies, so in reality, there is no such thing as an Indy hat but a ' Raiders' hat or a 'TOD' hat, etc................................oh dear, now I'm starting to sound like an Indy nerd.:eek::D
The original hat in the first movie was not use in the following films, you are correct. But Temple and Crusade did use HJ poets. They were just made differently. They had new hats made for each movie. And of course Adventurebilt made the Skull hat.
Trust me though, the first three were Poets, the second and third just didn't hold a candle to the Raiders hat.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Fedora+INSETS+2.jpg

Found this that sold on ebay a while back. It's a Poet from the 60s. Just goes to show how much the hats changes over time.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
We may be runnig away with ourselves here, It's not because H.J. called a particualar hat in their shop window ' The Poet' that it was named after anyone in particular, merery that the high crown, wide brim & soft felt, inspired a certain romanticism & who better to symbolize that than a poet. If you wanna sell a hat, it's gotta have a name.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Very possibly they didn't have a specific poet in mind. Whatever the name or whoever they did or didn't have in mind, I very much like the style and spirit of the earlier and older "Poet."

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another Irish author, James Joyce, had one that he wore while studying in Paris around 1902. He refers to it in "Ulysses" as his Left Bank hat. BTW, when Wilde was giving his lecture tour of the U.S. in the 1880's he was very impressed by the outfits he found among the cowboys in Colorado. He thought they were the perfect combination of form and function.

backstagejack

New in Town
My understanding is that the Raiders hat was not one the actual Herbert Johnson "poet" hats but one of their "Australian" models that wardrobe designers had altered for the character .
At least that is what happened according to costume designer for the film Deborah Nadoolman
She has also sworn that Indy wore Red Wings in all the movies and that she's never heard of Richard Swales at HJ ......

Nadoolman's memory seems to constantly play tricks on her. She can't seem to keep her stories straight from one interview to the next....

It's possible an australian model was in the works though.... as the AB hat expert said, "I think she used the Aussie hat to make the prototype. Then this was used as the model for the hats Swales got made, or made for her. I doubt if he got Aussie hats made, with no eyelets, and this is where he probably used an old stock HJ, the Poet, to create the final hat, in brown. The 3 inch brim of the Poet, would lend itself to this. And it would explain why he said he used a Poet."

Who really knows after all these years....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana