Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Because my hats always end up with "the turn" quite naturally, for some reason. Expanded cranium, perhaps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
This was from 10 years ago, up on the Blue Ridge in North Carolina, and I wasn't even attempting an Indy look. That was an Akubra that just turned on its own...

98bae4be626055d23b122b53f20a73c8.jpg

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Great pic
Thanks. I was wearing a 30-year-old chrome biker's jacket, an Akubra Adventurer (or equivalent), and my wife snapped a silhouette as I came over the crest. Everybody online (before Facebook) said, "Indiana Jones!!" Which I guess is what started my interest.

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Thanks. I was wearing a 30-year-old chrome biker's jacket, an Akubra Adventurer (or equivalent), and my wife snapped a silhouette as I came over the crest. Everybody online (before Facebook) said, "Indiana Jones!!" Which I guess is what started my interest.

This is what the ensemble actually looked like, sans the hat...
e979c1d7fed7c6984fb72840ee1e9df4.jpg

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
image.jpeg
I have a penman raiders in beaver. It's made from featherweight beaver.
I asked for it open crown and bashed it with a turn. It's not "flimsy", but is SA floppy maybe a bit less than the adventurebilt legacy raiders he offers in rabbit, due to it being beaver.
I can sit on it, throw it on the ground and stomp on it, then pop the creases back on, maybe brush it off and continue on my adventure.
And yeah, those are spider web particles on the hat. Just got done recovering a long forgotten artifact.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I completely agree with the recommendation to get your "Indy" hats from John Penman, whether it's Raiders, TOD, LC or Crystal Skull (CS). And you can choose to go with a beaver or rabbit Penman:

http://www.penmanhats.com/Indy_Hats.html

...or have him make the Adventurebilt hat:

http://www.penmanhats.com/Page_11.html

I'm on John's wait list, too, and my original order was for a beaver Crystal Skull hat. I'm only about 30 miles from John so I drove over to get my egg-head measured. I've seen and handled the block, looked at several hats in various stages of completion and I'll say the quality is there and the attention to detail is second to none.

Days (hours?) later I decided I needed a hat NOW, so I drove back to John's shop and picked up one of his factory produced Everyman "Indy" hats. John creased it right there while I watched, like the CS hat, and I love it. But this is not a handmade Raiders hat. It's a production hat that John creased for me in his shop.

My name comes to the top of John's wait list in December... and I've pestered John several times about what hat I really want when my "block" time comes. I'm not a serious Indiana Jones fanatic, I just like the hats. I keep changing my mind. I've gone from a beaver Raiders to the Leverage/Kane in dark moss, to a custom lid based on modifications to his "Eno" hat...

I also agree with the recommendation in order to save time and, especially, money by going straight to the best and bypassing the hats you'll probably be disappointed with. I think we all do that to one degree or another when we start out buying hats.

I've worn this hat in the rain and it suffered not one bit. Just set it down on the crown and let it dry and it's ready to go again with no fuss.

i-WhTrWhK-L.jpg

RJR

I completely agree with the recommendation to get your "Indy" hats from John Penman, whether it's Raiders, TOD, LC or Crystal Skull (CS). And you can choose to go with a beaver or rabbit Penman:

http://www.penmanhats.com/Indy_Hats.html

...or have him make the Adventurebilt hat:

http://www.penmanhats.com/Page_11.html

I'm on John's wait list, too, and my original order was for a beaver Crystal Skull hat. I'm only about 30 miles from John so I drove over to get my egg-head measured. I've seen and handled the block, looked at several hats in various stages of completion and I'll say the quality is there and the attention to detail is second to none.

Days (hours?) later I decided I needed a hat NOW, so I drove back to John's shop and picked up one of his factory produced Everyman "Indy" hats. John creased it right there while I watched, like the CS hat, and I love it. But this is not a handmade Raiders hat. It's a production hat that John creased for me in his shop.

My name comes to the top of John's wait list in December... and I've pestered John several times about what hat I really want when my "block" time comes. I'm not a serious Indiana Jones fanatic, I just like the hats. I keep changing my mind. I've gone from a beaver Raiders to the Leverage/Kane in dark moss, to a custom lid based on modifications to his "Eno" hat...

I also agree with the recommendation in order to save time and, especially, money by going straight to the best and bypassing the hats you'll probably be disappointed with. I think we all do that to one degree or another when we start out buying hats.

I've worn this hat in the rain and it suffered not one bit. Just set it down on the crown and let it dry and it's ready to go again with no fuss.

i-WhTrWhK-L.jpg
Good information and insight,Fed.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Apparently Herbert Johnson is going to relaunch shortly as a traditional hatters. This was posted on their Facebook page back in November. Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

After Many years Herbert Johnson Hatters civillian is going through a re-boot.
It's about time...
We are turning back the clock, and have now installed a team of Master Hatters who individually make every hat that we produce entirely by hand. After over a century of supplying royalty, statesmen, and celebrities, we find it only fitting that we should produce the best of the best.
Herbert Johnson supplied Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford the Indiana Jones fedora for the first three Indiana Jones films. We are now honoured to produce one of the most screen accurate Indy Fedoras to date.

Using the orginal Ribbon, the original Poet Block and the orginal "Sable" colour. The original dimensions as the orginal fedoras. We have even re-installed our iconic shield within the liner.

Each of our hats is hand blocked, hand pounced and hand sewn. We even use age old Master Hatter Techniques to minimise felt shrinkage. Our hats are fit for any adventure our clients are ready for.
The Indy Poet is availabe in 100 % Beaver and 100 % Rabbit felt.
Our Brand re-launch will be in the new year, however we are taking pre orders of our Indy Poet for delivery in the new year. For enquiries please see our website www.herbert-johnson.co.uk or sales@herbert-johnson.co.uk

RJR

Apparently Herbert Johnson is going to relaunch shortly as a traditional hatters. This was posted on their Facebook page back in November. Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

After Many years Herbert Johnson Hatters civillian is going through a re-boot.
It's about time...
We are turning back the clock, and have now installed a team of Master Hatters who individually make every hat that we produce entirely by hand. After over a century of supplying royalty, statesmen, and celebrities, we find it only fitting that we should produce the best of the best.
Herbert Johnson supplied Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford the Indiana Jones fedora for the first three Indiana Jones films. We are now honoured to produce one of the most screen accurate Indy Fedoras to date.

Using the orginal Ribbon, the original Poet Block and the orginal "Sable" colour. The original dimensions as the orginal fedoras. We have even re-installed our iconic shield within the liner.

Each of our hats is hand blocked, hand pounced and hand sewn. We even use age old Master Hatter Techniques to minimise felt shrinkage. Our hats are fit for any adventure our clients are ready for.
The Indy Poet is availabe in 100 % Beaver and 100 % Rabbit felt.
Our Brand re-launch will be in the new year, however we are taking pre orders of our Indy Poet for delivery in the new year. For enquiries please see our website www.herbert-johnson.co.uk or sales@herbert-johnson.co.uk
Interesting.

Ren

New in Town
I got my Poet Hat from Herbert Johnson a couple years ago. It's the finest hat in my collection as a hand-made one. For the impatient, the only thing is, it takes too much time to obtain it :( !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112