Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My customer experience with Aero Leather: What's happening?

Mikel64

New in Town
Aero Leather is a well-known brand for the quality of their jackets (no doubt about this point) and their customer service. However, I'd like to testify about the way they acted after I purchased a jacket with them. Rather surprizing...

I discovered this brand one year and a half. I saved money to make a dream come true, to get a custom cafe racer jacket in Cordovan. I contacted them in mid-September 2016 and I discussed with Holly about the specs ; I especially draw their attention about the fact I wanted to wear the jacket with a hoodie so the sizing should be in consequence (they advised a 40, I personnaly think it should have been a 42, but that's another story). I finally placed my order one month later.

I knew there was a delay and I was told the jacket should normally be ready for the 2nd half of December 2016. They had a problem with the leather delivery and consequently the jacket wasn't done. I had no idea when it would be ready so I decided to cancel the order.

Despite my cancellation, they contacted me in February 2017 telling the jacket was ready (I didn't think they would have made it) and made me an offer, sending it + free shipping. I accepted.

I tried the jacket when I received it. It didn't fit me at all. I quickly sent them pictures with jacket on. I JUST wanted to have their advises about the way it looked on me.

They never replied.

I tried again in July through the after sales service. Never replied too. Same on Facebook.

I contacted them a few days ago about a used jacket they had on sale for which I needed a size which was not shown on the ad (fortunately, because another given size was wrong). Christine replied to me, but finally the jacket didn't fit me. I was interested in other similar jacket on sale, needed the same information, I'm still waiting for the reply...

In conclusion:

Did they act this way because I cancelled my order? If yes, this is unprofessional.

Maybe there was a misunstanding (I think in fact they didn't chose the correct size) about the specs of the 1st jacket I bought in February, but I can't understand why Aero Leather failed to react. I have the feeling I have been ripped off, only because they didn't reply.

This is absolutely unfair for this kind of brand. One thing is sure, I don't trust Aero Leather anymore because of this way of treating customers.

And If you have to buy a jacket from them for the 1st time, be very careful about the ordering information...

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
From reading your post here I'm not sure if you wanted to return the jacket to them in February or just wanted them to see your photos - Perhaps they had the same confusion and so your email wasn't looked upon as important and got missed.

If you wanted to return the jacket I don't fully understand why you waited the five months before trying to contact them about it again? (I had a similar issue with another maker and it took me two weeks and multiple emails to get a reply/return instructions from them.)

I'll agree their sizing advice isn't perhaps as great as I see some people post here that it is, I've ordered two jackets from them following their advice and one is a little slimmer than I'd like and another is definitely one size too large - But I can appreciate different patterns will fit different shaped people in different ways so they are never going to get it completely correct.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry for your experience, it appears Aero may have gotten your sizing wrong. This is unfortunate, but it can happen. However you can always return a jacket when receiving it and realizing it's not your thing. You should have returned it right away in February. Even though I don't know why they didn't answer your mails, I do understand Aero didn't want to deal with the issue 5 months later.

I ordered a cordovan bootlegger at the exact same time as you. I was informed of the delay (which is understandable, Horween makes the leather, not Aero) so I wait as long as they do. If they don't have the hide, they can't sew up the jacket. That's nobody's fault...I recieved my jacket on 1/27/2016, ordered I believe around 9/5/2015. Well worth the wait.
It's important to remember that Aero is at the mercy of their vendors as well. Whatever the commodity might be: leather, hardware etc., they can only finish the jacket as quickly as those resources are available.
Regarding fit...I agree with the posts above. You know the fit is off within the first 2 minutes of wearing it. I would've been tapping away at the keyboard right then and there.
Can you post some fit pics?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Wow, that's not sounding very good.
Which is odd given that it's Aero.
I had to wait over a year IIRC for my M442a because large enough goat hides for my size 50L order weren't available. Of course, I didn't know it was going to be so long when I ordered, that's just the way it worked out. It was frustrating, but like ton312 says, there's not really anything Aero can do about their suppliers delivery schedules. It's ok.
When the jacket arrived, I knew the fit was wrong, and got straight into Aero within the hour (with exasperated vengeance I should add, much to my shame) and Ken made all things good (thank you Ken).
I have six Aero's and before ordering each one, I sent a very clear and direct mail asking with bullet points, if they could give me the details I wanted for the sake of clarity. When they replied that they could, I submitted my orders.
I think that the key is clear and precise communication, and prompt action in the event of a misunderstanding.
Without seeing all communication between yourself and Aero in this matter, it's difficult to understand how this all unraveled for you.
I think the important thing is not to apportion blame, but to understand how this happened. Because I'm pretty sure Aero would never screw over a customer.
I wish you good luck, and (although it's really none of my business) I'd be interested to know what Aero's take is on this.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I'm not getting this. The problem with the new jacket is not resolved ( waited waaaaay too long to contact them ). Then your interested in a used jacket that's not your size ? Too confusing !! What about calling them on the phone ?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have the feeling I have been ripped off, only because they didn't reply.

Well, you received the jacket in February and while you could return it directly as it was definitely a bad fit and not what you asked for, you chose not to. So therefore you were not "ripped off".
I guess it has to do with communication and/or bad choices and posts: you receive a jacket in February which does not fit. You send some fit photo's to Aero without getting a reply - did you mention anything about return? You choose not to return it. Then on June (4 months later) you offer this jacket for exchange here where you claim that the pit-to-pit is 20.5 (for a size 40!!!) and you say that you've "been fooled" (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-leather-cafe-racer-perfect-condition-for-exchange.90824/). A couple of days later you claim that the pit-to-pit measurement is not 20.5 but 23. Then on July (5 months later) you contact Aero again (what did you do in the meantime, what exactly did you ask them?) but again without any reply.
I know that not getting a reaction from a customer's service is annoying: I had this with ALL the companies I've dealt with except for one: Schott.
I am not trying to justify anyone. However there are some things I don't get, mainly why you didn't return the jacket straightaway and why you contacted them again 5 months later.

Mikel64

New in Town
From reading your post here I'm not sure if you wanted to return the jacket to them in February or just wanted them to see your photos - Perhaps they had the same confusion and so your email wasn't looked upon as important and got missed.

If you wanted to return the jacket I don't fully understand why you waited the five months before trying to contact them about it again? (I had a similar issue with another maker and it took me two weeks and multiple emails to get a reply/return instructions from them.)

I'll agree their sizing advice isn't perhaps as great as I see some people post here that it is, I've ordered two jackets from them following their advice and one is a little slimmer than I'd like and another is definitely one size too large - But I can appreciate different patterns will fit different shaped people in different ways so they are never going to get it completely correct.

No. I first contacted them as soon as I received the jacket in February I first wanted explanations and/or advises. Returning the jacket could have been an option but it was not necessarily my intention. Then I jsut tried again 5 months later.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
No. I first contacted them as soon as I received the jacket in February I first wanted explanations and/or advises. Returning the jacket could have been an option but it was not necessarily my intention. Then I jsut tried again 5 months later.

Hi Mikel64, This is Denny from Aero, I am very sorry to hear that you have experienced problems with your order and your aftercare customer service. I’m afraid that I do not have access to my emails or Aero order history this weekend but if you drop me an email I will deal with this as a priority on Monday morning. My email is denny@aeroleatherclothing.com.

I am surprised and shocked that your mails have gone unreplied, we really do proud ourselves on our customer service. I do know that during July when we were burgled we did slip behind on some emails but this is no excuse.

We will make this right for you.

Mikel64

New in Town
At last, I am now in touch with the Aero Leather staff. I won't reply to some posts from you who didn't read correctly or didn't understand my meanings, certainly because English is not my natural language.

I thank you for your replies. I'll eventually keep you informed.

Mikel64

New in Town
Hello to all,

I got in touch with Ken and Denny Calder. The reason why I had no replies is that all the emails I sent vanished in the spam folder since last February. It's completely absurd, unexpected and exceptional.

First of all, I must say Aero Leather's customer-service reputation must not suffer from this issue, and I guess nobody had doubts about this.

On the other hand, further to my previous post about the Cafe Racer I purchased and according to Denny, I am confirmed by the fact the jacket looks too small at the lower part and waist.

We are now discussing about a new jacket and I have no doubt we'll find a successful outcome.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Good to hear, glad it's all sorted out. Enjoy idea-crafting that new jacket, it's the best part of this whole obsession to me; fantasizing and trying to create the perfect jacket..

Benproof

A-List Customer
Wow Mikel -

thanks for sharing your difficult and hard-earned experience and reminding us that Inbox and Spam Folder are a recipe for falling out with others!

It's been sometime since I ordered my Aero jacket - thought I'd share this since it was shocking for me. After numerous to and fro' emails with Aero confirming custom sizes, with me (frankly) getting irritated wondering how difficult my body shape could possibly be to have to check so many times), one day I had phone call from some guy in a foreign language.

I thought it was a cold caller on a premium charge, but the number was a UK number and there was a real human being, not an autobot machine. The guy mumbled something and the only bit I could understand was my name "Ben".

Then I realised he was talking English in a Scottish accent - he was from Aero's factory checking that my measurements were right. That caught me completely off-guard and I could've hung up already lol.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I don't see the problem with Aero trying to make sure your jacket is going to fit, I mean, can it catch you offguard and surprise you, sure, but it's still a good thing, right?

It's funny to hear though that people from England have problems with the scottish accent, too. When I was traveling through the highlands, I didn't understand anything unless the locals tried real hard, you know, basicly baby-talking me, slow, loud and simple words :D

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Good to see this is working out.

Cafe Racers are tough fits overall, my 4-pocket CR by Aero will not work with a standard Hoodie, maybe a lightweight one, but that's the fit I wanted and what Carrie at Insurrection provided to me. Good luck with the new Jacket!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unless you come from deepest Glasgow, a Scottish accent is by far one of the clearest, most attractive accents in the UK. It's why so many call centres base themselves up here!

I love the Scottish accent, all the guys sound cool like Sean Connery and there is nothing sexier than a bonnie lass with a Scottish accent!!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Sloan, Glasgow accent? That's like Rab C. Nesbitt right? I can't understand anything that guy says. Put that's all put on for TV though, isn't it?
Real Scots sound more like Robbie Coltrane, don't they?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hello to all,

I got in touch with Ken and Denny Calder. The reason why I had no replies is that all the emails I sent vanished in the spam folder since last February. It's completely absurd, unexpected and exceptional.

First of all, I must say Aero Leather's customer-service reputation must not suffer from this issue, and I guess nobody had doubts about this.

On the other hand, further to my previous post about the Cafe Racer I purchased and according to Denny, I am confirmed by the fact the jacket looks too small at the lower part and waist.

We are now discussing about a new jacket and I have no doubt we'll find a successful outcome.
Please let us know what the outcome is. I am thinking about getting a cafe racer but I guess I will have the same problem as you- the size that will fit me well on chest and shoulders would be too tight around the belly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points