Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My favourite eau de cologne

Marc

Vendor
I always thought that most of the current offerings of eau de cologne and after shave smell far to sweet and / or "soapy" and have therefore over years used the German brand "Tabak original" that has been produced for at least 50 years.

But now I made a discovery and even got it as a gift from my girlfriend for birthday. It is a very masculine fragrance, not sweet nor "soapy" hand blended in London and called: Geo F. Trumper, Spanish Leather Cologne. I simply love this fragrance to death and even the bottle is very classic, with a brass crown on top, instead of a cheap piece of plastic.

You can see it on a German website here:

http://www.manufactum.de/mhp2/cgi-b...4391&pT=37302&fb=1&pnrJava=1&pstrLZ=undefined

Personally I associate the fragrance with wood, leather, smoke and maybe a tiny bit of dark honey. If you have been looking for a classic fragrance, this might interest you.

Other fragrances of the brand can be found on the homepage:

http://www.trumpers.com

Regards,

Marc

marshaellen

New in Town
vintage cosmetics

i am interested in vintage cosmetics such as powder, lipstick rouge,the brands and if you can still purchase them, i would appreciate any information,i do know that you can still get evening in paris cologne, and tangee lipstick

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I wear Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes afte shave (or Astor, if I'm dressing up). I absolutely love it. It smells great going on, then fades nicely. After about 30 seconds, I can't smell it anymore. My wife can still smell it at the end of the day, though. I usually order mine by phone direct from Trumper's. Easy and fast (if a bit expensive).

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I love heavy, musky scents on me and guys... (the only perfume I have found that I love is Opium) My three favorites are Lagerfeld, Gaultier and Paul Sebastian. They smell sooo good on me and when a guy wears it...? ;) Look out! I highly recommend them!!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Veronica Parra said:
My grandmother always wore French cologne-for men. I don't know the name of the maker. :(

Many of the "male" scents by Creed and Acqua di Parma are worn by women as well.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
1792-1926-2016
IMG_4428.jpg

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the tip. I will look for Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather.
BTW: The sight of that 4711 bottle takes me back to my childhood. There was always a bottle of it in my parent's room.

As an American kid and far from a cosmopolitan one, I was use to the word "cologne," but not "eau de cologne," except I remember looking the word up as a kid because of its use in The Who song "5:15." Pre-internet, you had to work a bit harder to do a search like that. Here's the relevant and, for the time, pretty provocative section:

Girls of fifteen
Sexually knowing
The ushers are sniffing
Eau-de-cologning
The seats are seductive
Celibate sitting
Pretty girls digging
Prettier women

I think this thread might be the second time I've come across the word - or, I guess, phrase - in fifty years.

And to Dreamofgilgamesh, my girlfriend is an ardent fan of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

She also is a fan of Jo Malone fragrances which are not sweet or strong, but more subtle and not "perfumey."

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I was just "dissed" by a snob.
At lunch I went to a high-end Parfumerie near my office (I was wearing a suit and tie) and politely asked if they carried Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather. The response I got was "Spanish Leather? Never heard of it. Have you tried the supermarket?"
I kid you not. I stammered something like "I don't think they would carry it either" and left.
I wish I was a master of the snappy come-back. :(

Obviously a young lady of impeccable taste.

Except for in men.

I think I was just "dissed" by a snob.
At lunch I went to a high-end Parfumerie near my office (I was wearing a suit and tie) and politely asked if they carried Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather. The response I got was "Spanish Leather? Never heard of it. Have you tried the supermarket?"
I kid you not. I stammered something like "I don't think they would carry it either" and left.
I wish I was a master of the snappy come-back. :(

Yes and no. Yes, a snappy come-back feels good, but walking out calmly is also very elegant and classy - it shows you are above his childish level of play. What the store clerk did was rude and crass hinting at his own insecurities.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Gotta love the Lounge...
I'm from Parma and I've always assumed, until this thread, Acqua di Parma was a ladies perfume!

Gotta love the Lounge...
I'm from Parma and I've always assumed, until this thread, Acqua di Parma was a ladies perfume!

I am not familiar with Aqua di Parma, but the "men / women" divide for colognes is breaking down as preferred scents become less "perfumey" / less floral overall and tilt more toward spices like the aforementioned Jo Malone. For example, my girlfriend brought home a lime-basil scent that, to me, was neither male or female (and lime has traditionally been the base of some men's colognes).

My favorite Cologne was the oriental "Tabac Original" Eau de Cologne, but I'm not more using perfume, except aftershave. And on the aftershaves, I'm generally using simple herbal barbershop-fragrances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana