Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My G-1 Lineup (Others Invited)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Wow, that's weird. It is a good looking jacket though.

Great jacket Tkecks! Love that reddish mouton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robrinay

One Too Many
Well I got my G1 back from Byson Leathers, who have carried out a major refurbishment of the badly treated LW Foster 55J14 I bought on eBay a month ago. It was in a hell of a state - sticky with too much Pecards, wrong Knits - badly stitched on messing with the lining, ripped male side of zipper lining ripped etc etc. I followed armscyes advice on getting rid of mould (it's a sticky in outerwear), to get rid of the excess Pecards and applied a light dressing of Effax Lederbalsam when it was dry. I then sent it to Byson. They have supplied and fitted a period new old stock conmar zipper, patched the lining stitched in my new knits beautifully realigning the lining, replaced the action back elastics etc. I am really pleased with their work - judge for yourself http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/robrinay/library/G1

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Well I got my G1 back from Byson Leathers, who have carried out a major refurbishment of the badly treated LW Foster 55J14 I bought on eBay a month ago. It was in a hell of a state - sticky with too much Pecards, wrong Knits - badly stitched on messing with the lining, ripped male side of zipper lining ripped etc etc. I followed armscyes advice on getting rid of mould (it's a sticky in outerwear), to get rid of the excess Pecards and applied a light dressing of Effax Lederbalsam when it was dry. I then sent it to Byson. They have supplied and fitted a period new old stock conmar zipper, patched the lining stitched in my new knits beautifully realigning the lining, replaced the action back elastics etc. I am really pleased with their work - judge for yourself http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/robrinay/library/G1

That G-1 looks great! What a save! I need to get new knits for my latest G-1. Was Byson expensive?
BTW, your pic, that's a Prisoner blazer, right? Very cool!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Out of curiosity, I opened the stitching on my new G-1, and took a look inside. The reverse of the shell shows that it is leather (although I got no idea what type, maybe I'll go for a DNA test).
It's not great leather, not very dense or tough. It seems to be split, in that the top layer that would normally be the shiny outer of the shell, seems to be absent.
Maybe the manufacturer bought it cheap as a by-product of some other leather item production, and sprayed (?) the outer with that brown plasticky coating to make it waterproof and tougher?

Anyway, I sourced a period CVA-64 patch, and a hand-made VF-96 patch, so I think I'll send it for some Showtime 100 tribute art.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
That G-1 looks great! What a save! I need to get new knits for my latest G-1. Was Byson expensive?
BTW, your pic, that's a Prisoner blazer, right? Very cool!
Byson prices are quoted clearly on their website and they were fast at answering emails when I asked them specifics. I thought the charges were very reasonable and paid for themselves in the value added to the jacket.
http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/BYSON LEATHERS FLYING PRICE.htm
Yes its a Prisoner blazer - pic taken on my Honeymoon in 'The Village' Portmeiron. We drove down in a rented Morgan (my favourite fantasy car), rather than a Lotus 7 and stayed in Portmeiron. Great series - I've got the box set of dvds if anyone wants to borrow them.
Rob

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Byson prices are quoted clearly on their website and they were fast at answering emails when I asked them specifics. I thought the charges were very reasonable and paid for themselves in the value added to the jacket.
http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/BYSON LEATHERS FLYING PRICE.htm
Yes its a Prisoner blazer - pic taken on my Honeymoon in 'The Village' Portmeiron. We drove down in a rented Morgan (my favourite fantasy car), rather than a Lotus 7 and stayed in Portmeiron. Great series - I've got the box set of dvds if anyone wants to borrow them.
Rob

That's fantastic!
Did you get up every morning and shout at your wife 'I am a free man!'?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Wow, where do you guys find these jackets? Of course, being a 46-48 these days cuts me out of heart of the envelope on these.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Guys, have you seen this on eBay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wil...95?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item43cf8a33e3

If it's genuine, it's in remarkable condition, and is an relatively rare size 48 (Deacon, you seen this?).
But in fact it's in such good condition, that I am suspicious about it. I'm even more suspicious of the little white label behind the size tag that seems to say 'Made in the USA', because I have never seen that on an issue G-1 variant. Maybe one of the collectors here knows better.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
You have every reason to be suspicious Big J. Most likely to be a recent reproduction.

As far as I know no issue item has a country of origin tag in the first place. (a stamp could be added later to a surplus item for export purpose, though)
Also the waist and cuff bands don't seem to be single-ply as with earlier versions of the G-1, zippers are not the smaller ones, hanger loop looks different, etc..

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You have every reason to be suspicious Big J. Most likely to be a recent reproduction.

As far as I know no issue item has a country of origin tag in the first place. (a stamp could be added later to a surplus item for export purpose, though)
Also the waist and cuff bands don't seem to be single-ply as with earlier versions of the G-1, zippers are not the smaller ones, hanger loop looks different, etc..

Damn, you sure know your G-1 variant details! That's exactly why this forum is so good! Thank you very much for that!
Ebay, a regular den of iniquity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points