Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Howard Hughes style Hollywood Jacket

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I think that replicating vintage clothes is the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future...
;) :)[/QUOTE]

UH, should I start padding the walls of the condo???

Wild Root

Gone Home
Pendleton never made Hollywood coats, the plaid coats we find are just a wool casual coat.

Good job on that score! I like the plaid colors and you'll just love it I'm sure.

=WR=

Mycroft

One Too Many
Nice work man, love it. Do you where it in the summer or winter etc.? I live in Florida I have no concpet of jacket and when to where them. Try wearing some matching pants, I mean to the brown part. Also, a cravat might look cool. All you need is a Howard Johnson Fedora, and a plane that can't fly. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is a picture I found showing how long the sleeves are on the movie version of the jacket:

Mine is probably going back to the tailor's however.
I need to obsess over it for a while and get everything fixed all together.

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
resortes805 said:
That's a great look! I also had a hollywood jacket recently reproduced. The front and back panel are a purple-ish wine, while the sleeves, collar, and pocket details are a light and dark brown houndstooth check with purple-ish wine cross-hatches running through it. After doing the final fitting this weekend, our tailors are putting the final touches on it. I had it based on vintage sketches and footage from old movies. The final product came out pretty nice. In the meantime I had tracked down (finally) an original piece for the tailor to copy in the future..

Will you be posting pics of this? Sounds great!

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Would a Hollywood jacket typically be sized larger than a regular sport coat?

In the Hughes and DiCaprio pictures, the drape and hang of the shoulders kind of give that impression.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Matt Jones said:
Will you be posting pics of this? Sounds great!

Sure thing. For movie buffs, I based the design after the jackets worn by the lindy hoppers in the movie Boy! What a Girl!

kools

Practically Family
Great music in that film!

Sure thing. For movie buffs, I based the design after the jackets worn by the lindy hoppers in the movie Boy! What a Girl!
I don't remember the lindy hoppers in that film, but I do recall a dancer wearing a cool Hollywood jacket during the Slam Stewart song Oh Me, Oh My, Oh Gosh.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
That might be the same fella! I have'nt seen the whole film, only a clip. The scene I used seems to be during a jam session of the band's, with couples taking turns showing off their best moves. It's funny because the music on the audio track is clearly not the music that the dancers are dancing to because the rythmns don't match up!

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
HJ,

Love the jacket:) I'm still looking for my Hughes Lucky Hat. That's my golden era holy grail right now.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Clyde R. said:
HJ,

Love the jacket:) I'm still looking for my Hughes Lucky Hat. That's my golden era holy grail right now.
Thank you, Clyde,
Which hat are you going for? I realize that Howard had his lucky fedora that burned up in the crash of the XF-11, then he had one made to its original specifications, the assumption there being that the original style was no longer made. So, it was destroyed July 8, 1946 at the crash of the XF-11. More than a year later, November of 1947, he shows up with this smashing hat that he wore to pilot the Hurcules.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
HJ,
I suppose I'm going for something like the one in the pic from the Hercules flight. I'm still a bit of a noob on hats, and I'm familar with the look of the hat but not sure of some of the details...
Here's a pic of Hughes behind the controls of the XF-11 wearing his soon to be un-lucky fedora. Quality of pic is pretty poor.
Edit: I did most of my Hughes "research" years ago and read Dietrich's book, Empire, etc. and most recently the Peter Brown work. I seem to recall in one of those books Hughes' hat was referred to as a snap brim Stetson, and that when he briefly sloughed of his lethargy in the early '70s and wanted to fly again, he wanted that hat. Suppposedly a search was made for one, this being in London where he was staying at the time. I realize he owned at least one Herbert Johnson that was auctioned on ebay. You have any more 411?
standard.jpg

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Absinthe,

The 40s replacement hat would do me just fine! What a great lid :) I love the wide brim. By the way, that Hughes sight is a wealth of super pics. I don't think I've ever seen the last public appearance photo from 1952 before. Great shot of a fedora in that one, too. If anybody has any info on the details of the replacement hat, like approximate brim width, crown height, sources for repros, etc... I'd be much obliged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana