Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Bespoke Gray Flannels - Pictures! - What Do You Think?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Here's my newest acquisition. Trousers from a mid-gray 17oz. flannel by J. & J. Minnis. Very expensive cloth, but looks marvelous and has a wonderful hand. You won't believe how soft and light it feels when you wear it. The cut is pretty much copied from 1942 dated American trousers, except that I opted for a button fly instead of a zip fly.

Fishtail back, Hollywood waist, drop belt loops, outside suspender buttons, outward pleats, 4.5cm cuffs
IMG_0623.JPG

Two back pockets, one buttoned
IMG_0624.jpg

Horn buttons
IMG_0625.jpg

J. & J. Minnis tag
IMG_0626.JPG

Front view. Waist is exactly at navel height.
Gray%252520Flannels%252520Front.jpg

Back view
Gray%252520Flannels%252520Back.jpg

Side view worn with belt.
Gray%252520Flannels%252520Side%252520Belt.jpg

Side view worn with suspenders. Note how much better they drape when they hang from the shoulders instead of the waist.
Gray%252520Flannels%252520Side%252520Suspenders.jpg

Please let me know what you think. :)

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No, for a navy blazer I prefer white or cream. I'll most likely wear it with my 30s Halfbelt leather jacket or a tweed jacket.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Mario, she's getting better nailing the vintage styles with every pair I commission. I think this time she got the bottom design right. I paid the old price because I had commissioned them still in August, but I think the raise is moderate and it's still worth it. Might be different with the standard customer but because of the different fit and special details I want I wonder if she makes any profit at all from me. I believe she spends considerably more time with my trousers than with most other's. I think it's more that she enjoys learning new stuff and honing her skills.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Beautiful trousers. Interested to know why you opted for belt loops. They drape so much better with braces/suspenders. The waist would be much cleaner without the loops.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, the vintage originals had both suspender buttons and belt loops, too. And I think it goes well with this style. These trousers will look good with a short sleeved loop-collar shirt on a sunny spring day as well as with a tweed or leather jacket in fall and winter. I wouldn't want to wear suspenders with a short sleeved shirt. I guess it makes the trousers just much more versatile.

The next trousers I have in mind will be from a 19oz. Thornproof Donegal tweed. I don't think these are going to have have belt loops.

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
Very sharp looking trousers. You are probably correct in thinking she doesn't make much of a profit considering the time she puts into them, but, speaking for myself in other fields, it's a delight to work on unique projects that push one's craftsmanship to another level than the every-day grind demands. What's next on the bespoke list?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mario, she's getting better nailing the vintage styles with every pair I commission. I think this time she got the bottom design right. I paid the old price because I had commissioned them still in August, but I think the raise is moderate and it's still worth it. Might be different with the standard customer but because of the different fit and special details I want I wonder if she makes any profit at all from me. I believe she spends considerably more time with my trousers than with most other's. I think it's more that she enjoys learning new stuff and honing her skills.

When I talked to her I told her about all the features I'd wand and thought that those would add up to a whole lot of extra cash but she told me that the price stays the same...

You really need to tell me about this cloth you bought!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
The next trousers I have in mind will be from a 19oz. Thornproof Donegal tweed. I don't think these are going to have have belt loops.

I highly recommend the thornproof Donegal tweed. I have a three-piece "country" suit in this fabric. It will come out of storage in a few weeks. Ahem, I hope it still fits, I put on a few pounds this summer.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The waistband is much too busy for my taste. Aesthetics aside, I wouldn't ask my trousers to pull double duty (belt and braces) as my braces trousers are not cut nearly as close to the waist as my belt trousers so wearing a belt with them (if they had loops) would be problematic. I have a few pieces in that cloth and it is lovely though I can't wear it when the temps rise above 60(F) or so.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
J. & J. Minnis makes one of the finest flannels in the world. Too bad they don't sell cream coloured flannel. Mine is pattern 0317. You can get it through Nicola for 150 Euro per meter. If you buy it directly at Huddersfield Fine Worsteds it's only £84. Before they raised their prices a little while ago it was £74 I think. http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jjm&c=7&p=2 I still got a better deal at £60 because I bought it through a guy who used to sell small lengths.

The Donegal is a Porter & Harding Thornproof Tweed (pattern 62015). http://www.harrisonsofedinburgh.com/collections.html?cs=ph I'm not sure if they sell cut lengths to the individual public. I got it through the same seller as the flannel. If you let Nicola order it it's very likely going to be around 150 Euros per meter as well, as she doesn't order directly from the mills but from an agent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk