Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Brent Black Panama

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
I'll post more if and when I get time, but here's the basics: I'm on a 1-year military deployment to Iraq. I decided to splurge and order a true, fine Montechristi Panama, guaranteed to be the best, from Brent Black while I'm here. This will be used primarily to kick up my feet late at night after work, by one of Saddam's many old palaces, and relax--take a vacation in my mind and retain some sense of civilization. A small piece of fine beauty in such a difficult place. The rest of the time, I'll be storing it carefully.

Just received the hat today. Here's the first pics taken of me opening the box, explaining it to my buddies, trying it on, and then taking a few shots back in my bunk. Please excuse the rudimentary settings and iPhone pics. If I get a chance sometime to take better camera pics, I will. The name and print/serial number on the hat have been blurred for security. You can get a decent idea of the weave and center of the hat crown from the pics, though.

This is the middle of Brent's "entry-category" hat range, termed "Premium". I had specified it be made as a classic fedora style, with standard black ribbon, standard brown leather band. From my custom sizing bands we worked with, it's fit to a custom 24 5/8 inches Long Oval for my head. I think the size is pretty much perfect. I've worn it briefly inside with cool air conditioning, and outside in the 120 F or so heat, and it's a barely snug, and very comfortable fit. Won't be too tight at all. If anything, if I ever wear it in active or breezy conditions, I'll slip a bit of thin felt under the band to snug it up just a bit more for retention purposes.

Bottom line, day one, I'm loving it! The feel of the hat is excellent, fairly soft for straw. The color is a bit more golden than I expected. I look forward to wearing it when I get the chance.

SAM_0801.jpg

SAM_0802.jpg

SAM_0803.jpg

SAM_0805.jpg

SAM_0806.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat, and hope you enjoy it and it gives you much deserved pleasure on your posting, Sir.

Any hint at what price range you went for?

Fine pics btw, especially from your location

One Too Many
Now in this moment:

Mr. Wildblue,You need wearing:
Shirt: white or hawaian
slacks: white or beige
shoes: white moccasin
hat: new montecristi and
1000 bucks
Go to the nearest Dancing Club to pass a good time"
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wildblue said:
...The color is a bit more golden than I expected. I look forward to wearing it when I get the chance. ...

Hell yah! Good as gold. :eusa_clap

Feel free to wear it out because you have a Moonstone colored traveler coming your way --- eventually :( :D .

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sweet lid WB! :eusa_clap But, you're out of uniform mister! ;)

Be sure to post the pics of you kicking your feet up (in a non-sensitive area of course). Well done! :)

Cheers!

Dan

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Well thanks, all! Some replies here:

daizawaguy said:
Any hint at what price range you went for?
Sure... I don't ever discuss exact pricing, but this is pretty much the middle of the range in Brent's "entry category" of hats, labeled "Premium". I'm not able (or wanting right now) to go ultra-ultra high end on a Panama, but I did want to buy a very high quality fine Montechristi that could be the last Panama I'll ever need. So, especially for where I'm at now, this more than suits my needs. Can't wait to get it home and try it on with my navy blue double-breasted suit.

150719541 said:
Mr. Wildblue,You need wearing:
Shirt: white or hawaian
slacks: white or beige
shoes: white moccasin
hat: new montecristi and
1000 bucks
Go to the nearest Dancing Club to pass a good time"
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Darn tootin'. While I'm not allowed to wear anything other than a prescribed uniform while I'm here, I did bring casual clothes for R&R and such. Some night, I might just throw it on here in my bunk and have my own little private getaway evening. :)

theinterchange said:
I don't know what's cooler, the hat, or the fact that you're wearing a shoulder holster and military uniform.
Hehee... thanks. I figured if I'm wearing a fine Montechristi, my shoulder holster better be fine Galco leather. What... that doesn't make me look like Don Johnson? Awwwwww.....

You guys are awesome.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Wonderful-looking hat! I think if you send a few pics off to the brass, they'll make it standard issue ;) .

Looks as if the process went well for you - congratulations on a very well-deserved slice of civilization!

Cheers!

C-C

Winston-Smythe

New in Town
Wildblue --

As the proud owner of a couple of BBB's, I wish you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. The only problem I found with BBB's are you can't have just one. A fine monticristi is addictive.

Stay safe, and I hope you and the hat return stateside ASAP.

Thank you for your service.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
First, we all thank you for your service, you and your comrades are not forgotten.
Not exactly G.I., is it? ;) But somehow I think the fine weave looks quite classy with the camouflage.
Wear it in good health! Stay safe, and post some pictures of yourself wearing it in the bosom of your family!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ