Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Buzz Rickson N3-B William Gibson Edition

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I thought I would show you all my latest (used) acquisition via Japan. I found this on Yahoo Japan auctions for a steal, and used ZenMarket proxy service to ship it over to the UK (fantastic service, highly recommended!)

This is one which I didn't think I'd ever get! Finally, after many, many N3-Bs coming and going, have I found the one? Possibly...!

This is a superb jacket. The quality is exceptionally good. Stitching is perfect, the nylon is exactly the right weight and texture, and the coyote fur trim is absolutely delightful. Sorry PETA, but you can't beat real fur in this application...

Buzz classifies this as 'slender fit jacket', although it's nowhere near as slender as their MA-1s. It's simply slender compared to an original (which isn't hard - they're huge). I've owned an original jacket in a size XL, and it's interesting to see how they've changed it - much higher armholes, much slimmer sleeves and slightly narrower shoulders. Interestingly, they've removed most of the wadding in the shoulders - original jackets kept this in an it gave you a 'linebacker' esque silhouette - now it's much more natural. This consequently allows the sleeves to sit a little longer.

In a size XL, it fits my 6 foot 3, 45-ish chest frame very well, even with a sweater underneath. The internal knit cuffs felt a little short at first, but now they're loosening up and feel fine. The length is quite a bit shorter than an original jacket, but I guess it looks contemporary. I personally prefer a longer jacket, but this is more than acceptable.

Edward

Bartender
I like the blacked-out look the WG stuff has. I'd like to try one of their MA1s one day, though I'm on the upper end of what BR makes, size-wise. This one looks good - first I've seen of one in the wild.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I like the blacked-out look the WG stuff has. I'd like to try one of their MA1s one day, though I'm on the upper end of what BR makes, size-wise. This one looks good - first I've seen of one in the wild.

Thanks Edward! The black colour scheme has really grown on me...although I would like an original sage green one at some point too! :)

Finding bigger Buzz stuff is a bit tricky, although as I've proven it is doable..the market feels like it needs a better mid range option for nylon jackets - it's Alpha or Japanese repro and nothing inbetween!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Buzz/William Gibson makes a nice looking black N-1 that is a bit slimmer as well. N-1 jackets can look quite Michelin-man, but this version is cut pretty nicely.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
amazing that it fits a large man so well, and the shoulders don't have that linebacker look as meacham notes!

hopefully they do the same slimmer Gibson treatment to the N2 jackets...

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Edward! The black colour scheme has really grown on me...although I would like an original sage green one at some point too! :)

Finding bigger Buzz stuff is a bit tricky, although as I've proven it is doable..the market feels like it needs a better mid range option for nylon jackets - it's Alpha or Japanese repro and nothing inbetween!

It is possible Bronson or another Chinese brand could fill that gap. I get the impression from looking at some of them that they're made in the same factory as thE Alpha, but trying to correct some of the 'mistakes' in the Alpha designs.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
It is possible Bronson or another Chinese brand could fill that gap. I get the impression from looking at some of them that they're made in the same factory as thE Alpha, but trying to correct some of the 'mistakes' in the Alpha designs.

Bronson/Houston stuff looks very nice for the most part indeed. My trepidation with ordering from Chinese sites is mostly down to the difficulties in returns, which is a problem since I’m usually quite a difficult size to pin down!

It would be helpful is someone in Europe became a distributor of their stuff, as I reckon there’s a market for it over here.

Edward

Bartender
Bronson/Houston stuff looks very nice for the most part indeed. My trepidation with ordering from Chinese sites is mostly down to the difficulties in returns, which is a problem since I’m usually quite a difficult size to pin down!

It would be helpful is someone in Europe became a distributor of their stuff, as I reckon there’s a market for it over here.

Yes, that's my issue with buying stuff internationally online in general, I'm afraid - it gets much more hassle to return. That said, looking at £80.00 for the L2A I've been considering, it's not the end of the world if it needed to be sold on. I just wish I could find somewhere in Beijing that sold this sort of thing in bricks and mortar, so I could try it on there. It seems like Shanghai is more the centre for that sort of thing.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Yes, that's my issue with buying stuff internationally online in general, I'm afraid - it gets much more hassle to return. That said, looking at £80.00 for the L2A I've been considering, it's not the end of the world if it needed to be sold on. I just wish I could find somewhere in Beijing that sold this sort of thing in bricks and mortar, so I could try it on there. It seems like Shanghai is more the centre for that sort of thing.

There are a few pretty sweet looking items out of China I've seen though which I would be tempted to have a go with regardless..

Jinrushi MA-1, which surely is made in the same Chinese factory as Alpha? They like to publicise in the descriptions how the stitching and materials are as good as Alpha. Plus, the logos and decals actually look pretty accurate...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USAF-Arm...hash=item4d6bdca705:m:mp5-QWXvTwCZOy6iV5gzNbw

Waiper N3-B, which is basically a straight ripoff of the Buzz Rickson one...they even do a regular (classic) fit and a rip off of the slender fit one. It's nearly identical...made in Japan. https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-waiper/item/noj032095109/

Edward

Bartender
Yes, the Jinruishi ones are what I was thinking of especially - I've seen that auction. Same guy has a green liner Bronson fro about forty quid more than also look more heavy duty. I'm sorely tempted to try the L2A first, see if that's good. Such a simple jacket, there's not much to go wrong with if you use decent materials. I have one of the Alpha versions, but its from the 'Vintage' series, so much too light a blue. The colour of the Jinruishi at least looks good.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Yes, the Jinruishi ones are what I was thinking of especially - I've seen that auction. Same guy has a green liner Bronson fro about forty quid more than also look more heavy duty. I'm sorely tempted to try the L2A first, see if that's good. Such a simple jacket, there's not much to go wrong with if you use decent materials. I have one of the Alpha versions, but its from the 'Vintage' series, so much too light a blue. The colour of the Jinruishi at least looks good.

Would you order a 2XL in that Jinrushi L2B? Assuming their measurements are accurate, I would probably buy it off you if it doesn't work out for whatever reason. Let me know if you ever do get one.

I think I'm probably going to at least try and Alpha MA-1 first...their standard MA-1 (not the weird slim fit one) looks okay for the money. Some eBay sellers are putting them up for £85 ish, which feels okay to me. I still don't get though why they don't do the green version with grey knits...that's accurate, and they flipping make grey knits for the replica grey colour of the same jacket! Was there even an actual contract that came in "replica grey" or are they just making stuff up?

Edward

Bartender
Would you order a 2XL in that Jinrushi L2B? Assuming their measurements are accurate, I would probably buy it off you if it doesn't work out for whatever reason. Let me know if you ever do get one.

I think I'm probably going to at least try and Alpha MA-1 first...their standard MA-1 (not the weird slim fit one) looks okay for the money. Some eBay sellers are putting them up for £85 ish, which feels okay to me. I still don't get though why they don't do the green version with grey knits...that's accurate, and they flipping make grey knits for the replica grey colour of the same jacket! Was there even an actual contract that came in "replica grey" or are they just making stuff up?

I'm not sure about the grey - I've never seen it in daylight, but I do sometimes wonder whether it's the 'grey-green' colour that vintage MA1s look to be (whether that was variance in the original issue colour or the effect of sun-fading, I'm not sure). In some lights the Alphas look right, others they don't. Alpha did make the majority of MA1s for the USAF, I believe, though I'm not sure how close to milspec the current line is. (I mean the later, pocket-flap milspec with poly filler, obvs.) I'd love to get to compare a Rothco directly to an Aero as well. So much cheaper makes me wary, though I hear in some corners of the web folks saying they are better nylon and warmer.

Im' not sure what size I'd be in the Chinese stuff yet, but I suspect I might be either an XXL or an XXXL. Usually the way.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I'm not sure about the grey - I've never seen it in daylight, but I do sometimes wonder whether it's the 'grey-green' colour that vintage MA1s look to be (whether that was variance in the original issue colour or the effect of sun-fading, I'm not sure). In some lights the Alphas look right, others they don't. Alpha did make the majority of MA1s for the USAF, I believe, though I'm not sure how close to milspec the current line is. (I mean the later, pocket-flap milspec with poly filler, obvs.) I'd love to get to compare a Rothco directly to an Aero as well. So much cheaper makes me wary, though I hear in some corners of the web folks saying they are better nylon and warmer.

Im' not sure what size I'd be in the Chinese stuff yet, but I suspect I might be either an XXL or an XXXL. Usually the way.

That was my thought too - later MA-1's have that greenish grey look, but the Alpha looks to be nearly silver. I've ordered one of their MA-1s in sage green for around £80, which I think was a good deal - we will see how it is when it arrives.

I messaged the eBay seller in China for those jackets and he said at 6 foot 3, 45 inch chest I would be too big for the MA-1 they sell. :( He said 2XL in the L2-B might work though.

dubpynchon

One Too Many

I have a black Alpha MA-1 (‘You’re not getting in tonight lads, regulars only’), great jacket, well worth the money. They look even better after a year or two when they flatten out a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot