Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Custom Premier Highwayman!

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Just received my Custom Premier Highwayman this week--I'm pretty darned pleased overall! This is my first venture into a nice custom leather jacket. I had a vision in my head--something of an "all-arounder". I'm a part-time pro musician and wanted something a little 50's Rockabilly, and I often dress Western, so I wanted that flair too, plus something "conservative enough" that I could get away wearing it to my day job--business casual style. I really think I achieved all of those things--I know sometimes mixing too many options can be a setup for failure, but not so here IMO. The 50's style Highwayman jackets weren't really a consideration due to fit concerns, so my jacket is kind of a 50's style, turned 30's style (Premier), turned back to 50's style! Here are the specs:

Black Vicenza horsehide--select smoothest hide
Black cotton drill lining
Modified collar
Olive drab stitching
Waist buckles, zip sleeves, and ball and chain pulls ala '59er Highwayman
V-yokes front and rear like Zip Sleeve Highwayman
Left side interior pocket with no hardware
Rock and Roll label!

Carrie sent me a size 40 in the 30's Half Belt (I was undecided on the style at the time) and it fit "ok", but it was a little bit bulky in the body, and way bulky in the upper arm area which bugged me, yet it was a bit too snug in the chest/shoulders. Carrie moved me up to a size 42 in the Premier Fit--I believe the dimensions are similar, but it's a trimmer cut--especially in the sleeves. It too felt a little binding in the chest/shoulders/armpits (with higher armholes) at first try on, but Carrie indicated it would break in nicely--and after only one day it's loosening up some, so no real concerns there. I might have knocked an inch off the length, but I sometimes wear my shirt tail out so the length here is probably better. I really like the hide--it's beautiful and has a "this is a vintage jacket" look that I wanted, plus it's a decent weight for my climate. Anyway, a few pics:

More here that Carrie posted on this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...nned-horsehide-for-aero-jackets.77738/page-63

And some fit pics:

Thanks to Carrie at Thurston Bros. for the great customer service, and to Julie Leitch at Aero for the great craftsmanship!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations on your first.. it certainly won't be the last.. once you've started the quest for the ultimate grail of a jacket, you never get out of that morass again. That being said, the jacket looks and fits great! I am a great fan of the HWM style. Never liked the backyoke of the Premier HWM. Looks like you got the best from both worlds.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Makes me think of those great 40s trucker jackets like in the Bogart movie They Drive By Night. Just a classic look that while vintage, never dates. If it looks that good now, just think how cool it's going to look after some wear!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful jacket and it suits you perfectly. The best thing about it is yet to come with the break-in (along with the thought that you've got one of the best and coolest jackets in the world). Wear it in good health.

dan_t

Practically Family
What a 'Mo bro!
The jacket is pretty special too.
I love the eyelets detail on the side straps.
Congrats on a brilliant order, I think you've nailed it. It reminds me of my zip sleeve highwayman from the early '90s.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
What a 'Mo bro!
The jacket is pretty special too.
I love the eyelets detail on the side straps.
Congrats on a brilliant order, I think you've nailed it. It reminds me of my zip sleeve highwayman from the early '90s.
Haha thanks--yeah I've had the 'Mo a bit longer :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Really sharp looking and a great design. Awhile back I tried on a friend's Premier HWM in size 42 but found it was too tight for me in the chest and shoulders, especially the shoulders. Yours appears to be a great fit though.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Really sharp looking and a great design. Awhile back I tried on a friend's Premier HWM in size 42 but found it was too tight for me in the chest and shoulders, especially the shoulders. Yours appears to be a great fit though.

Thanks Fanch! Yes it a trimmer cut--but it is starting to loosen up some--the sleeves are trim--not sure how much those will give over time (hard to grab on to your shirt sleeves--but I think the fit/look is good. For comparison here's a couple of pics of my fit jacket which was a 30's Half Belt size 40--which apparently is a trimmer fit vs the 50's cuts, but the size 40 was still a bit snug in the chest/shoulders, yet the sleeves were baggy and there was a lot of excess material in the shoulders IMO. I think sizing up to a 42 in the Premier fit was the way to go and what Carrie got me into.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Actually the fit of the 1930's HB looks pretty good to me too but is designed not as tight fitting as the Premier line but slimmer fitting than the 1950's HB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider