Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New ELC Roughwear B3 Jacket :)

SMF144

New in Town
Radz108, would like to know where things stand with your B-3. Are you still happy with the purchase? I have been mulling over the purchase of a ELC B-3 for a while now but wanna make sure before I drop $1000 worth of Canadian Tire money. In 1996 I purchased a Type A-2 from ELC but it hasn't lasted as long as their claim 'just like the originals..." and am none too please Thanks from above in Yellowknife, NT. Stephen

Oh, BTW, I don't care what people say about Canada Goose products. All I know is my Resolute is keeping me warm, very warm. There ain't no B-3 that's going to keep your nuts warm at minus 30, with a windchill making it minus 45.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Radz108, would like to know where things stand with your B-3. Are you still happy with the purchase? I have been mulling over the purchase of a ELC B-3 for a while now but wanna make sure before I drop $1000 worth of Canadian Tire money. In 1996 I purchased a Type A-2 from ELC but it hasn't lasted as long as their claim 'just like the originals..." and am none too please Thanks from above in Yellowknife, NT. Stephen
Hi Stephen,
I am very happy overall with the jacket. I have been wearing it everyday for about a week now. The stiffness has improved somewhat and the tight cuffs have loosened to a more comfortable snug fit. I can actually tuck in my 100g thinsulate deerskin gloves under the cuff and it feels comfortable. The fit is not bulky and baggy like my Cockpitusa jacket but a more tailored fit. Right now it's -24C with a windchill of -35C. I had to fill up my wife's gas tank and all I had on were jeans, a collared dress shirt and a cotton vest under the jacket. I had my wool toque on and I pulled the collar up and I was quite comfortable in the frigid cold while filling up the tank. My "nuts" were cold but it wasn't too bad :) The horsehide facings have started to crease a little giving a nice grain to it and the sheepskin looks great and handles snowy weather quite well. In terms of longevity, I am not sure yet, but the stitching is as perfect as one can get it, the sheepskin hides are thick and the finish on them is substantial. Only time will tell, but it feels it could last many winters and look better with age. The only small problem I have with the jacket right now is that there is a small bald spot around the top of the fleece windflap. I believe it was there from the start and is not a sign of premature wear. I have already contacted Gary and Rob at Eastman regarding it and I am waiting for their response. Others on VLJ have stated that their ELC Roughwear B3 windflaps have a similar look to my windflap and claim it is the nature of the jacket. Even Andrew (AKA: aswatland) states that several mint original B3s have similar looking "bald spots" on their windflaps as well. It's not a deal breaker, but I'll wait to hear the final verdict from Gary and/or Rob. I guess the only problem I see regarding jackets from Eastman is not the quality or authenticity (I believe they make the best quality/authenticity/price ratio repros in the market and I would definitely buy from them again - I'm even thinking of getting a seal on seal standard B3 in the fall :) ), but it there are reasons that you may need to return the jacket (defects, sizing etc.) you have to ship it back to them and pay postage etc.... such a pain :( . Again, I love the jacket and I am extremely happy with the purchase. My small issue regarding the windflap might just be my obsessive compulsiveness getting the best of me. :) Was it worth the $1000 Canadian - for me definitely!
Oh, BTW, I don't care what people say about Canada Goose products. All I know is my Resolute is keeping me warm, very warm. There ain't no B-3 that's going to keep your nuts warm at minus 30, with a windchill making it minus 45.
LOL, I hear ya! I've owned and still own a few down filled jackets from Eddie Bauer, North Face etc. I don't own a Canada Goose (for the price of a Canada Goose, I can get a decent Shearling coat:p ). But checking them out at Harry Rosen, they are a beautiful down coat. I love the heavy duty shell and the luxurious coyote fur trim on the hoods. They are lighter than some heavy sheepskin coats as well. I'm glad they hold up to their name for quality and warmth. I'm just a shearling guy. If I lived in NWT, I would probably get a Canada Goose or this jacket - A B7 Shearling Parka from Aero Leather http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=197 Should keep my nuts plenty warm at -40C and it's not that much more expensive than your Resolute :p

Last edited:

SMF144

New in Town
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Resolute up here are $550. A lot cheaper than down "south" and in Ottawa. I was in Calgary a month ago...wouldn't mind taking a look at your jacket the next time and I am there.

Stephen

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Resolute up here are $550. A lot cheaper than down "south" and in Ottawa. I was in Calgary a month ago...wouldn't mind taking a look at your jacket the next time and I am there.

Stephen
No worries :) Glad I can help with the info.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
In 1996 I purchased a Type A-2 from ELC but it hasn't lasted as long as their claim 'just like the originals..." and am none too please

Steve, that might be a little harsh on ELC (or any other jacket maker). Remember how many A-2s were made compared to how many survive to today. Then, of the ones that have survived, see just how many have seen anything like daily wearers. Most jackets were daily wearers for their owners back in the day and that is why they are no longer around: Worn to bits then thrown away or left in a closet.

I and several mates have ELC jackets (and Sefton ones too in steer), all over 10 years old and all needed lining replacements and several sets of knit replacements per jacket in 10 years. They were not made to last 70 years as daily wearers. The knits are fragile as is the cotton lining. Even period photos show lots of wear - especially the cuffs (linings are rarely visible). Even the leather on originals is much thinner than people often expect.

They were a cheap jacket in their day and just because we all pay big bucks for the same materials etc as an original, doesn't mean we get a harder wearing jacket than an original. That wear is, for most of us, precisely the look we are after.

I would also say myself that shearlings / sheepskins do not last anywhere near as well as Horsehide or goat A-2s.

As to Canada Goose. Awesome. I used to work up your way on seismic as a surveyor. Stopped my butt getting froze off many a time.

Dave

Last edited:

SMF144

New in Town
Hi Dave,

Fair enough, but I don't fly airplanes on a regular basis, parachute harness included, that would, as far as I am concerned, double the wear and tear on leather jackets such as the Type A-2 experienced during the war. I have mainly worn mine during the spring and fall months and after dropping $800, would have thought it could have held together longer than five years. And trust me, I have treated mine with kid gloves but gave up after the quality did. In any event, you're probably right, I am being too harsh but...I am willing to try again as I have heard over the years the early ELC's suffered from quality control. A Buffalo Airways C-46 just flew over the house. I still wear mine and plan to get it repaired when I find the right tailor, but do plan on acquiring another Type A-2.

Yeah, the Great White North is certainly a neat experience and so far, so good.

Stephen

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Hi Dave,

Fair enough, but I don't fly airplanes on a regular basis, parachute harness included, that would, as far as I am concerned, double the wear and tear on leather jackets such as the Type A-2 experienced during the war. I have mainly worn mine during the spring and fall months and after dropping $800, would have thought it could have held together longer than five years. And trust me, I have treated mine with kid gloves but gave up after the quality did. In any event, you're probably right, I am being too harsh but...I am willing to try again as I have heard over the years the early ELC's suffered from quality control. A Buffalo Airways C-46 just flew over the house. I still wear mine and plan to get it repaired when I find the right tailor, but do plan on acquiring another Type A-2.

Yeah, the Great White North is certainly a neat experience and so far, so good.

Stephen

Hey Stephen,
You are right, 5 years of gentle wear isn't much. We used ours day in , day out and for working on the WW2 vehicles that some of us own. And I can see that getting any repairs is a bit if a faff as the maker isn't even on the same continent. I think you must've got a Friday afternoon jacket there. :( That's a shame because you are quite correct in saying an original should hold up better than that. And certainly an $800 repro should behave like an original.

I had visions of you being a bush pilot / lumberjack and beating wild animals to death with your A-2 ;)

Dave

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Ya sure ya wanna know the lyrics ?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

Chorus: He's a lumberjack and he's okay,
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing,
And hang around in bars.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing,
And hangs around in bars.

I cut down trees, I wear high heels,
Suspendies and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear pappa.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he wears high heels?
Suspendies...and a bra?

...he's a lumberjack and he's okay,

...he's a lumberjack and he's OKAAAAAAAAAAYYY.

The stuff bolded REALLY takes it out of your A-2 ;-)

Bon weekend all,
Dave

msrtex

New in Town
The jacket brings back a memory from the sixties of my dad's Air force issue hanging in the basement with his full cold weather suit from the Korean War.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Looks even cooler now that its been worn in the other thread!

I Just checked ELCs prices and theyve almost Doubled. My eyes got watery and there was a pain inside my sinus.

Last edited:
Hi
congrats for the very nice B-3 from ELC...wow!
just be very cautious with the Crown spring loaded puller, some are very week and break away.
It happen to me recently .
Other than that, next to perfection...wow!

Last edited:
Reactions: xmr

zoran

Banned
More pics of the jacket:
ELCRWB3-20110222-13.jpg

ELCRWB3-20110222-14.jpg

ELCRWB3-20110222-15.jpg

ELCRWB3-20110222-16.jpg

ELCRWB3-20110222-19.jpg

ELCRWB3-20110222-20.jpg

ELCRWB3-20110222-21.jpg

Radz108

One of the Regulars
OP, what is your height and weight? I need the sleeves to be as long as yours, and I'm 5'9", 180lbs., wear a 17x35 shirt, 43" chest. Thanks.
At the time of the photos, I was 180lbs and I'm 5'6.5" with a 42.5 chest. The 44r should fit your dimensions. Currently I'm 158lbs and my chest is now about 40.5. The jacket is a bit big for me :(

Radz108

One of the Regulars
hello.What is the exact weight of your Eastman B3 jacket?
It is real patina.
Best.
I haven't weighed it but it feels about 8-9 lbs. it is quite hefty and puts a strain on the shoulders if you wear it for hours. The patina is real and it looks even better since I put 5 years of wear on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112