Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my new project

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ooh! Another vintage pattern person! Yay!

I love making dresses from vintage patterns, for the main reason that I don't have to worry about ripping or spilling on a sixty or more year old dress!

I am sure your dress will be beautiful! And yes, please post pictures!

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Ooooo Kamikat!!! GORGEOUS. You will be the belle of the ball. What fabric have you chosen?

Also, a question to all you sewers - I have collected quite a few fabby vintage patterns, but they are all really tiny. Does anyone know the rules on altering pattern sizes to make them bigger?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
It depends on how small the pattern is. If you need just an inch or two through the side, you can add a bit to the side seam allowance. Remember that every 1/4in works out to 1in on your finished product. Meaning that if you add 1/4 in to both side front and side back, you add a total of 1 inch. If you need more than one or two sizes, get a book on grading. Also, there are bigger patterns out there. I wear a size 14 US in stores and regularly find patterns on eBay that fit. In fact, if you go to oldpatterns.com, they have a section of patterns for the plus-sized lady. She regularly has patterns that fit a 46inch bust.
kamikat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112