• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

My Vintage Radio Collection

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by RetroToday, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Here's an 1937 Emerson model AM-169 "Ingraham" radio. These specialty cabinets where made in Connecticut primarily for Emerson:
    DSC00590.JPG
    ...and a 1937 Pilot Radio model G-184. This a very large and heavy tabletop with nice deco/machine-age design touches:
    1937 Pilot Radio G-184.JPG

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    1955mercury and vitanola like this.
  2. 1939 Silvertone 6409 (2).JPG View attachment 96276 Here's a small 6-tube streamline-modern bakelite night-table radio. It's a 1939 Silvertone model 6409. This is the walnut grained bakelite model. There was also black bakelite and white painted models. The set has an unusual upside chassis and performs surprisingly well. It has a hefty solid look and feel.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    3fingers, 1955mercury and vitanola like this.
  3. I recently purchased this 1946 Westinghouse H-125 "Little Jewel" radio. Collectors call it the "refrigerator" radio because not only does it look like one, but it is believed these were part of a promotion in the sale of refrigerators. They came in four colors, ivory, burgundy, dark green, and mine, light blue-green. These are quality little 6-tube sets that perform surprisingly well. They have a solid quality feel to them. This one is all original. I had plans to touch-up the chips and scratches on the painted surfaces, but it has such a nice patina I think I will leave it as-is.
    1946 Westinghouse H-125.JPG
    This was actually a period Westinghouse refrigerator color!:
    cb5c11e5c85774ef83e7cc6f13929c28.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. I recently acquired this 1940 Silvertone model 57-F-05845 78RPM-only phonograph "attachment". These small bakelite units were popular in the late '30's and early '40's and were meant to be a low-cost alternative for a electric phono. They usually came in two models, one, like mine, attached directly to your radio, and the other had a built-in transmitter. That one was almost double the price. This unit was $7.95 in the day and included your choice of 10 78RPM records. You have to push-start the turntable and install steel needles.
    I polished the cabinet and re-flocked the platter and amazingly, the unit works perfectly as-is. It's a piece of streamline-modern art and possibly the work of Raymond Loewy, but I've yet to confirm that.
    1940 Silvertone 57F05845.JPG

1955mercury and Krash1974 like this.
  5. Krash1974

Krash1974 Familiar Face

EA42672F-B618-4784-8E3E-A2CC264A049D.jpeg I think the radio is a 1957. The table was my paternal grandparents’ in the ‘50s. The hat’s not old, but will be someday.

6. I'm on a bakelite '30's phono "attachment" kick! I just had to add one of these "teardrop" models to my collection. They were made by RCA and GE. This one is a 1939 RCA Victrola R-100. It is a John Vassos creation and a small streamline-modern work of art. It was in sad shape when I got it and needed hours of fixing-up including some new wiring, grommets, re-flocking, polishing, and decal replacement. The old crystal cartridge, naturally, is no good and will be replaced by a ceramic one soon. The simple syncro motor runs fine and, amazingly, the rubber motor "hangers" are still pliable!
    1939 RCA Victrola R-100.JPG

7. Being very much into early small bakelite phonographs lately, I decided to add a later 45 player to the collection. This one is the first 45 player from RCA Victor, model 9EY3, from 1949. These small units have a nice chocolatey bakelite case with very sharp post-war lines. It was a departure from the passé smooth streamlined curves of years past. You stack up to 10 45's on the spindle, push the front button and walk away! The whole spindle turns along with the stack of records and the changer action is very fast. This one has been completely rebuilt, they always need to, and sound so rich and warm, like a small jukebox from the era.
    1949 RCA Victor 9EY3.JPG

1955mercury likes this.