Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to the jacket tailor today

Wow. Late to the party here but what a cool read and outstanding finished product. Looks like you were born in it, which it should, since you gave birth to it. Amazing job man. Creative, unique, just bad ass in every way imaginable. This is easily one of the coolest things I've seen on this forum. Brav friggn' o!

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Amazing read and congrats on your leather jacket quest! The one you made for your brother seems to drape very easily. Is it sturdy enough for riding?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I use necromancy on this....

BTW, I want to share pictures I took when I was called to check my jacket, today I drove there, and tried on the torso of the jacket
(BTW don't mind the neck , it is still including 1cm all around for sewing.
JlvBF03.jpg

it was heavy...

Reactions: G'c

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
KhG7RRJ.jpg

heheh, today I was called and there was my jacket on the table, the liner was on their mannequin, I need to point where the eyelets, snaps and main zipper length going to be... ahhh hopefully I can collect it by the weekend, I'm fluish and drowsy from the medicine but so happy right now :p

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
vslL3ft.jpg

today I visited because I thought I would try the neck/ collar in its final state, sadly no luck the lining and the shell had not been sewn yet... so I guess I cross my finger everything is going to be alright, so I was just in time when they punched holes for the eyelets and took this inside out pics.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
P5Ai6kE.jpg

still no collar roll and throat latch has not folded yet, but inside out like this, make it easier to visualize how the latch would look (the darker area)

that lining on the back panel is the lower half of my "back pocket"
like my first jacket this too have a full back pocket to bring flat a4 size stuff like a sketchbook or tablet

sad news... I couldn't have my jacket this weekend :(

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
thank you Nick :) I'm really lucky to live in a place where I can bring my drawing to be made into real jacket, even luckier the place is so nearby, and so relax I can walk in basically everyday after my morning walk to see what's up without any appointment, to add in details, or check fitting every step of the way... so I'm taking pictures of whatever I see to share it before it goes hidden forever underneath the lining :D

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

Today I finally tried the collar, or the half back of it
yX0odQR.jpg

the front throat latch is going to be redesigned a bit ( I knew that already... but they always ensure me it is going to be fine) ... anyway since it sticks out and jabbing my jaw when unsnapped, I asked them to trim it and uses 1 center snap button instead.

I also designed that curving pocket latch on the spot from scrap leather I found laying around there, as planned they are low and more to the side of the body, I think it won't look like nipple LOL...

It has very high armpit to optimize arm movements without gusset. I love its trim silhouette, love the shoulder and seeing how this thick cow will mould well and I imagine it would look very cool in few months, and the color works too for me, the leather is very thick but quite easy to crease.

sorry the jeans is sagging on the back, forgot to wear belt

This is some serious magic! It looks like something straight oughta some movie or anime. It's so well designed and made, and fits you beyond words. Most people dishing out thousands of monies looking for a trim silhouette with high end jackets don't get anywhere near this, myself included. Those guys are truly incredible! I've worked with two jacket tailors, nothing even close to this level has ever been delivered.

I find it perfectly perfect as it is and wouldn't want it any trimmer. Sleeves I would shorten just a tiny bit but I can see that's still to follow so no trouble there.

And the pocket latch doesn't look like nipple. Anymore. XD

Keep us updated!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thanks mate :)
the body really works great :D I'm very pleased with it and they are too... and I must give some credit to a cheap china made size L blazer that fit me very well and lend it's pattern for the torso.

today finally the liner and the outer shell is sewn together sans the rear bottom hem, so it still can be flipped over for fixing, I was called to see and sadly there were some minor and not so minor problems which were only visible to me after the part assembled and I can properly zip up the jacket and see...
the biggest fix would be the shoulder curve on the front, and the minor ones are just main zipper alignment and stitches along the edges to have a neatly done flap over the main zip, and since from the start they forgot to install the pocket tab (on the last pic I just ask for double tape and temporarily positioned them) and to do that they need to work on the front panel with the risk of having unwanted stitches holes and other risk... I decided to skip the tab, maybe it is for the better.
throat latch also being remodeled.
08UcWGP.jpg

there would be a little decoration on the back, a little tab across the rear zip like the one on my avatar with cross thing, but on this one it would have a shield like shape with a bronze wolf head (Cloud Strife's wolf head from Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children :p) on it

Now I just need to wait for the final result:)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
PUiAV2c.jpg

and there it is, just came back home very happy with the quick fix, the zipper is neat now completely hidden, the zipper box is quite high as I want it, roughly at the place where 1 button blazer is , and with some overlap it will look perfect for me. Sorry I was standing in the darkest spot in their fitting room trying to stand as far as I can from the guy since he is taller than me to capture a more natural proportion.

chest pockets are designed to be lower than my actual chest, but they're at the best/ most balanced proportion for the length of the jacket in my opinion. the sleeve curve at the armpit is only slightly modded, but I'm willing to accept that.

just one last step to hem the rear, and install collar snap button, and I can bring it home... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: G'c

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
vVycFZa.jpg

Ftru16D.jpg

yesterday I was called to try the prototype, the body and style was right on, btw I decided to change kidney panel on the inside from my drawing.
there are some changes to how the sleeve is mounted, I left a blazer that fit me well there for reference, and the back neckline was too high and leaning forward that need to be modified too, front neck line is also need some change, elsewhere is the same with my previous grey jacket number, this prototype is made from light denim so it shows creases more on the body, but in leather it would look different due to the weight and thickness.
biggest conundrum to me is they can't find the brown color I like from local leather supplier, so I tell them to please look for it from other suppliers and give them some color alternatives I'm willing to consider olive and navy dark hues of blue. I will show the color again when they show some samples, I also try to find online local leather suppliers for worst case scenario...I wish I can have the color I wanted.
another scenario is I ask this prototype to be really finished into a real jacket, and then I for now I buy the prototype first and waiting until they can find the leather so they can replicate the pattern on leather.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
ziNRmtT.jpg

yesterday I was called and there were 2 options I'm interested, but I sticked with the original plan, so the brown one maybe blue for something else in the future was a nice supple blue, on the sample the flesh side is a bit loose maybe just on that part but the brown one looks great & tight on the flesh side too.

0IsGISu.jpg
[/IMG]
0IsGISu.jpg

the fit also been reworked on the sleeve.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
thank you BobJ, it is the most interesting part indeed, will keep sharing the pictures as the process goes on... can't wait to get another call again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112