Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to the jacket tailor today

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
hehe.. when you put it that way it does sound nice, thanks man

:)I do share all my drawings, and I won't be stopping others here to use any of them as inspiration, as I'm certainly use other things I've seen somewhere in real life, in internet, or in a movie or video game as my inspiration too.

Someone with an incredibly good eye and a lot of artistic talent works at that shop 'cause to have them make it exactly, and I mean exactly like in your drawings... I doubt you could get that even from the highest-end brands. This is seriously very impressive. When I went custom, my jacket had to be restitched about a dozen times before they got it to be wearable and not look like crap.

Creases are already forming nicely, too. Seems really heavy, can you button it easily?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
thanks Monitor:D, with custom model they use denim as mockup so once they do it in leather the problems are mostly gone, only the weight & the rigidity of the leather make it looks slightly different from the mockup.
this leather creases quite easily, and hopefully would finally does patina
buttons are a little (a lot) more hassle when new like this, if I have to unbutton it while riding, I'd hit a palm tree and fell into a ditch for sure, probably I would rarely button it up all the way, 3rd button is most likely the one used

thanks Handymike, hopefully people from the church agree I'll try this weekend and see how it goes.:D

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Last february when my brown jacket was done I saw a dark blue sample and I said something about how I plan to have my next jacket in blue and they said they would buy the leather for me while they are in stock, but alas they forgot or didnt think i was serious enough, so the lady working there took me to a leathersupplier, and straight to the back warehouse with poor lighting and fully stacked with leather rolls with no leather samples i can choose from, they just pulled out a hide to show me and another and another after third time it was clearly they were tired of me, and out of 3 blue cowhide options in front of me I got to pick my choice. All three were shit, they have a leftover of the blue hide I wanted but it was only one hide left with a hole in the middle. So the one i like was there but not to be have, and these other 3 were meh. But i made my choice. It was the thickest and the least glossy option.

d8TWA66.jpg

it is difficult to photograph dark blue without direct comparison to black, apparently blue cowhide is not desirable here since they have very nice blue sheepskin but i dont like how thin they are, at least this cowhide is thick enough and from the profile it is still more leather than paint. But the surface is just printed, it is the less offensive of the other printed options. The brown part is a little better sanded leather pretty obvious so all the grains would be from wearing.

Last february when my brown jacket was done I saw a dark blue sample and I said something about how I plan to have my next jacket in blue and they said they would buy the leather for me while they are in stock, but alas they forgot or didnt think i was serious enough, so the lady working there took me to a leathersupplier, and straight to the back warehouse with poor lighting and fully stacked with leather rolls with no leather samples i can choose from, they just pulled out a hide to show me and another and another after third time it was clearly they were tired of me, and out of 3 blue cowhide options in front of me I got to pick my choice. All three were shit, they have a leftover of the blue hide I wanted but it was only one hide left with a hole in the middle. So the one i like was there but not to be have, and these other 3 were meh. But i made my choice. It was the thickest and the least glossy option.

d8TWA66.jpg

it is difficult to photograph dark blue without direct comparison to black, apparently blue cowhide is not desirable here since they have very nice blue sheepskin but i dont like how thin they are, at least this cowhide is thick enough and from the profile it is still more leather than paint. But the surface is just printed, it is the less offensive of the other printed options. The brown part is a little better sanded leather pretty obvious so all the grains would be from wearing.

They ought to make printing leather a crime!

I really like the look of that blue/brown color combo. That's a particularly nice blue! Kind of gunmetal blue. As far as the texture goes I think the contrast between the two colors and finishes will look amazing. This is going to be a really cool jacket. I can't wait to put my order in your queue. I'm first!

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
a
Studying those pictures, I decided to keep the zipper length, but to make the upper waist of the jacket slimmer, and the lower waist bigger, and to have inner lips underneath cuff sleeve since it won't have cuff gusset, and the zipper would be on top of my wrist watch face, so I want it to protect the watch from being scratched, despite of being gussetless.
I also did more thorough testing for the range of movement in its slim sleeve and raglan shoulder, and it was great, the body of the jacket stay in place, very minimum riding up on the back and the side despite being very slim all around, however the sleeve need to be made 4cm longer from comparison to my other jacket with a set in wrinkles, the armpit eventhough it was very good in its range of motion, I also decide to add 1cm for easier wear.
these are photos taken earlier today, as I visited them again, while wearing less puffy pants to get a better idea of its real proportion.
View attachment 28300 View attachment 28301 View attachment 28302 View attachment 28303 View attachment 28304

awesome ability to move arms!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think they will have better option when I wait, i dont know how soon that might be. But one thing i see here. Any leather as long as you keep wearing them with time it would turn up much nicer than when it was new:D the nicer the leather the sooner it would happen and the lesser the leather the longer.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Was called today to see how i want the hem to be stitched, i decided to have the hem only stitched from inside with leather facing, and the lapel area down pressed with top stitch 2mm from the edge, so im hopeful i can wear the jacket before new year... perhaps but perhaps not.... the other pic was the mockup, it still have some adjustment after that but decided to be done on the leather directly since it is minor and to safe time. The adjustment is 1cm taken from diameter of the sleeve from inside the elbow down to cuff, the angle of the sleeve pockets, sleeve rotated 2cm forward, and thin shoulderpad to maintain the shoulder slope.
3gN49yy.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points