Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My White's/Hathorn Hi Line Ranch Farmer workboot (pics)

JanSolo

Practically Family
I always had a soft spot for vintage styled quality work boots and during the last decade I must have had at least 6 pairs of RedWings and two pairs of Alden 405s.
Somehow I totally missed White's, Wesco and Viberg as those brands don't have many retailers in Germany (if any).
A couple of years ago I was browsing through an issue of Japanese magazin "Free & Easy" which featured an article about American work boot brands. Obviously I wasn't able to read a single word as I don't speak Japanese but the pictures were stunning and very well composed.

This is how a typical Free & Easy page looks like:

6358405297_afb043f4e3_z.jpg

The article also featured a lot of pictures of White's boots, especially the Semi-Dress in various configurations and the famous Smoke Jumper. - I was hooked and I knew that sooner or later I had to get a pair of those. I contacted a fellow forum member who has both wealth of knowledge regarding White's and a very good and sensible taste. I asked for his advice ( Ask and ye shall be given...) and during the following weeks we exchanged dozens of personal messages.
But still I wasn't put over the edge. I knew that owning a pair of White's or Wescos would be terrific but I was put off by the steep price, the wait period, shipping costs and custom duties. And what if they wouldn't fit?...

A couple of months went by until I found out that White's have an Ebay shop. Finally a suitable pair turned up and I had a very good friend (and all-round top guy!!) from Connecticut bid on it. We both didn't expect to win the auction but somehow the boot must have slipped through. The boots were sent over to Germany and I've collected them yesterday.

Anyway, without much further ado: Brand new in box, 10.5 C, Hathorn Ranch Farmer.....winning bid 152 USD:p

6358247419_cf0d389c82_z.jpg

6358253047_beb915ef0e_z.jpg

6358256997_db1cef873b_z.jpg

6358262197_86e7011fc9_z.jpg

Shortened and modified false tongue. I've used punch pliers and a scalpel to give the kiltie a refined look.

6358268005_6630542032_z.jpg

All in all the boots are exactly what I expected. They fit like a glove, the construction is superb and I love the combination of uppers, stacked heel/leather welt and rubber sole.

What do you think?

Credit where credit is due:
Thanks a million to John and Daniel!

Last edited:

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
That is one heck of a deal! A beautiful pair of boots. I've considered bidding on their ebay site as well but I'm no sure whether I would need to size up or down. I had to size down for the Wesco engineers I received recently but am not certain if Whites would also fall into that category.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
a sweet deal and an amazing product, both in looks and craftsmanship. what more can you hope for! congratulations and i am lokind forward to a review after 1000 miles.

JanSolo

Practically Family
I had to size down for the Wesco engineers I received recently but am not certain if Whites would also fall into that category.

The Hathorns/White's are generously cut but by no means oversized. Probably the cobblers at White's expect you to wear thicker boot socks with your shoes and their sizing incorporates that.
But they are certainly not as oversized as some Red Wings tend to be. In RW Iron Rangers and 1908 Centennials I had to go down one full size!!
I measured my feet before I had my friend bid on Ebay and my feet turned out to be just between size 10 and 10.5. with plain cotton socks. I have quite narrow feet but I was quite anxious that the C last would be too narrow. However the boot turned out to be a perfect fit. I've also put a thin goatskin neoprene lined inner sole in and the fit is still perfect.

My advice: If you see a pair that you like call White's directly and speak to somebody who can give you more detailed specs. I did that and it helped a lot. They sure know what they are talking about.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Those boots are beautiful. I have been looking at more and more quality boots recently and I think I need to get another job to pay for those I have added to my wish list:eusa_doh:.

They are great boots made for the working farmer,cow puncher etc,I used to wear them many years ago when I was running around in horse manure,those days are gone and they have become"chic" to wear.It seems to me that the working mans clothes have become fashionable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana