Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name the Actor...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The scarecrow is indeed Brother Semon, king of the gigantic stunt-man-fall into a big barrel labeled "OIL." And Dorothy is his wife, Dorothy Dwan. That's not a horrible picture, despite its modern reputation, but it's nothing whatever like the 1939 version, or the books. It's Oz crossed with a typical Semon two-reeler, and all that that implies.

If it's time for silent comedy, how about this peach of a pair?

Joan_Crawford_Harry_Langdon_Tramp_Tramp_Tramp_1926.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I know it's the silent Wizard of Oz (1924?) and that's Oliver Hardy as the Tin Man... but I'd have to look up who the Scarecrow and Dorothy are. I don't want to cheat by going to Wiki... The Scarecrow looks like Larry Semon, maybe?

Yep!
That's Ollie as the Tin Man with
Larry Semon starring as the Scarecrow
in the silent 1925 "Wizard of Oz".
Dorothy was played by Semon's
wife, Dorothy Dwan.

I saw this silent version of Oz recently.

It was Laurel & Hardy silent films plus the ones they made before they became a team that I was able to know about the
other two actors.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The scarecrow is indeed Brother Semon, king of the gigantic stunt-man-fall into a big barrel labeled "OIL." And Dorothy is his wife, Dorothy Dwan. That's not a horrible picture, despite its modern reputation, but it's nothing whatever like the 1939 version, or the books. It's Oz crossed with a typical Semon two-reeler, and all that that implies.

I 'll have to pass although I haven't seen this film. I know who the actor is
because of previous posts from
you about him being one of
your favorites. If I'm not mistaken,
I believe Eddie Cantor is another
favorite .
When I read something interesting
I usually do a follow-up to learn
more.
Not only in films but in other topics
as well.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

For some strange reason I think the actress is Joan Crawford. Don't know why; I haven't looked it up (though I'm fairly sure her career began as silents were winding down); but she reminds me of La Crawford. Now tell me I'm crazy, and I may or may not go quietly.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
For some strange reason I think the actress is Joan Crawford. Don't know why; I haven't looked it up (though I'm fairly sure her career began as silents were winding down); but she reminds me of La Crawford. Now tell me I'm crazy, and I may or may not go quietly.

You're not crazy!

That's the one and only...
"Lucille Fay LeSeuer"
or "La Crawford"! :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Poor little Harry is probably wetting his pants in fear there. I'm a big Langdon fan, and "Tramp Tramp Tramp" is an excellent picture, especially the way in which he continually subverts the expectations of the audience.

So again with the silent comedians, here's another one:

maxresdefault.jpg

He was well-known for playing delicate, slightly sissified characters who could never seem to cope with life's minor annoyances. He was one of the most popular comics in two-reelers in the late twenties, but he could never lick his alcoholism, and he died of drink in 1935.

Great freakin' call. As 2Jakes says, the chubby cheeks completely threw me as the image of "very young Joan" I have in my head is from those very early talkies when she's weed thin.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Great freakin' call. As 2Jakes says, the chubby cheeks completely threw me as the image of "very young Joan" I have in my head is from those very early talkies when she's weed thin.
Her cheeks didn't look chubby to me in that pic. It was the shape of the mouth and nose that suggested Joan to me.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Poor little Harry is probably wetting his pants in fear there. I'm a big Langdon fan, and "Tramp Tramp Tramp" is an excellent picture, especially the way in which he continually subverts the expectations of the audience.

So again with the silent comedians, here's another one:

maxresdefault.jpg

He was well-known for playing delicate, slightly sissified characters who could never seem to cope with life's minor annoyances. He was one of the most popular comics in two-reelers in the late twenties, but he could never lick his alcoholism, and he died of drink in 1935.

The cap & tie!
mrcn51.jpg

I remember an uncle who wore a similar cap all the time.
Not the tie though.:D

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Correct. The film is a 1927 short called "Papa's Boy," in which Mr. Hamilton appears as the prissy son of a millionaire, trying to avoid a henchman whom Papa has hired to "make a man" of his son. There's a great bit in this film where Hamilton is flouncing along with a butterfly net, and mistakes a tattoo of a butterfly on the calf of a passing woman as the genuine article. Complications ensue.

EngProf

Practically Family
Do you know who is playing the bass fiddle? The piano?
Movie?

20setmq.jpg
Jackie Gleason on bass\Cesar Romero on piano
I recognized the actors but did not know the movie. I had to look it up so I won't say it. Let someone else get credit for that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Orchestra Wives," the second of two Fox musicals intended as a showcase for Glenn Miller's orchestra. Gleason was never actually a member of that band, but appeared as one in the film. The other two are genuine members of the Miller band, drummer Moe Purtill and guitarist Dick Fisher.

Speaking of Fox musicals...

wakeupandlive_390.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Orchestra Wives," the second of two Fox musicals intended as a showcase for Glenn Miller's orchestra. Gleason was never actually a member of that band, but appeared as one in the film.

Speaking of Fox musicals...

wakeupandlive_390.jpg

I recognize the faces and although I’ve seen the movies.
The titles do not come as easy sometimes.
That’s the Tin Man from the ’39 version of the Wizard of Oz.

But this is a scene from another movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ