Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Natural/Home remedies for super dry skin?

lframe

One of the Regulars
The other day, after I put on my usual moisture cream, I got a horrible rash - it must have been an allergic reaction. :eeek:
that puzzles me because I've been using that same cream for about 1,5 years now. It was terrible, I looked like a lobster, my face got hot and I even felt a bit dizzy. It took a few hours till my skin got back to normal. Did any of you ladies experience anything like that?

Did you get any red, scaly areas that are hanging around on your face?

scarletgrenadine

New in Town
My skin tends to be on the dry side. I find that diet helps. For example, taking a quality fish oil and including other sources of omega-3. I've upped the fat content in my diet, concentrating on natural, traditional fats like butter, coconut oil, etc. (I still avoid processed vegetable oils.) I've also added a high-quality gelatin powder to my diet. I can add it to a cup of hot cocoa at night, for example.

As for skin care, I aim to be as gentle as possible. I only wash my face in the evening, using a gentle, enzymatic cleanser. I use a rosewater and witch hazel toner and a shea butter moisturizer. Once a day, I spread a little raw honey on my face and let it sit for ten minutes or so before washing it off with one of those little pink rubber scrubbies from Sephora. My skin has felt much better hydrated now that I've been including the honey in my routine for the last few months.

wahine

Practically Family
Did you get any red, scaly areas that are hanging around on your face?

Sorry for the late reply.
No, there were no scaly areas. The skin turned just very red, got hot and burned. I didn't use that cream again and the rash didn't happen again. I'm still unsure of what it was.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ok, so this isn't for dry skin so much as it is for dry scalp- BUT I see no reason why not to try it to wash your face with.

I've started using Aloe Gel to wash my hair. You can buy Aloe Vera gel in a plastic jar in a natural foods store, or use an Aloe leaf. I put it in a small hand pump spray bottle (the kind that hairspray comes in, but travel sized). I wet my hair, then squirt the alow vera all over, about 20 squirts. Then I scrub all over and then rinse well.

It takes away grease and extra buildup, leaving my hair clean but soft. I think it would work wonders to clean your face instead of soap- apply a few squirts directly to the face, rub it in, wait a bit (maybe while you brush your teeth), then wash off.

This woman: http://www.thankyourbody.com/ph-balanced-shampoo-recipe/ adds coconut milk to her aloe shampoo. I don't see why you couldn't do this for your face, as it would make it extra moisture-rich. But even if you just used aloe it would moisturize. I was originally inspired by her blog, but decided not to add the coconut milk because it would likely make my hair too greasy given how limp my hair used to be.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
^^^^^
Actually that reminds me, many years ago when I was an exchange student (in Thailand) the father of the family I stayed with had bad acne & he would use fresh aloe gel clean his face, apparently it helps with inflammation.
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but soaking in a bath of 1 cup of oatmeal (blended to a powder) is very good for dry inflamed skin.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
For what it's worth, I am the Clinical Supervisor at an allergy/asthma office.

My skin has always been on the dry side, though I do not personally have to deal with eczema. For my face: Pond's Cold Cream to remove make-up, wash with Johnson's baby wash, then moisturize with Oil of Olay. It's the only facial moisturizer that didn't cause break-outs years ago so I've stuck with it. Let me now add that I actually use store-brand knock-offs of these products. :)

I don't usually use a body moisturizer, but at work we often recommend a mixture of Eurcerin and Aquaphor for eczema. My niece has severe dry skin and swears by Amlactin. My daughter had very dry hands one winter and had good success with pine tar ointment. Going the more natural route, per this thread's actual subject, we've been hearing good things about coconut oil.

Nora

New in Town
I always get super-dry hands during the winter. It used to be really annoying and painful, and nothing worked. Mum got me all sorts of hand creams, but it seemed to only make it worse, then when I was out of all other stuff, she gave me this mostly aloe-vera thing... and POOF! All gone, been all right since! It was almost scary! 0_o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points