Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help dating this jacket and HOW do you know if a zipper has been changed?

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Hi all ..my friend asked me about this leather jacket that I need help dating :

#1 This jacket LABEL has typography of the late 1940's-early 1950's jackets { see pics for comparison]

#2 The jacket STYLE seems to me to be post war -early 1950s? [ correct me if I'm wrong]
What throws me off is the STYLE and LABEL typography is late 40's -early 50's but the zippers is CLIX. The bottom of the zipper is CLIX too, not just the tab.

I know that CLIX is post war. Just want to know if the following TALON story matches the jacket.
At the end even IF the TALON wasn't replaced, the CLIX is still possible to be the original zipper because this is a post war jacket [I think]

#3 The lady who sold it to my friend said the zipper was replaced from TALON to this CLIX zipper. I know she said this CLIX zipper replaced the TALON ...but

#4 How does one KNOW for sure that the zippers have been replaced in a vintage jacket? Example: TRUE 1930's jacket replaced with a 1950's zipper.

#5 Do most 1950's era leather jackets look like the 'Wild One' 'Brando' jackets?

#6 I need help from zipper masters here...when did CLIX start and end?

#7 Does anyone know when did 'press buttons' came into history? When it was used a lot in jackets?[ see pic of end of sleeve on leather jacket for these press buttons.]

Input on dating this jacket would be very much appreciated!

Thanks all!

THE LEATHER JACKET

THE LEATHER JACKET IN QUESTION LABEL

Compare this label's stitching 'Sport Champ' and the font and stitching of the first 1940s label 'Daniel Boone'

1940's JACKET LABELS

1950's JACKET LABELS

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
With that style of lining and label, I would put this one in the early 1960s. The elastic-under-leather for the waistband is more typical of this period as well, especially for Canadian-made jackets. With that style of cuff/snap arrangement and waistband, I would guess Sport Champ also did good business in leather hockey jackets, as those details are both more commonly seen on that style. As far as the zipper goes, it's probably a replacement. I would have guessed an oval-tab Canadian manufactured (Lightning) Talon as the original.

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Hi Dinerman I'm wondering if you or anyone have any examples of 1960's leather jacket styles. Also, examples of 1960's jacket fonts.

Thanks all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana