Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding a hat

JMG32

New in Town
So, I'm rather new to the fedora thing. Have previously worn ivy-style caps but my dad wore fedora-style hats when I was a kid and I want to keep it going for my kids. Anyway, I'm looking for something pretty particular and haven't had any luck finding just the right thing. I'm looking for something pretty close to the hat Steve Martin wore in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles. " Seen in the picture here:

TrainsPlanesFinal.jpg

I've found a lot of grey fedoras but they usually have more stiff-looking brims or ones that curl up a bit around the edges. I like the exact syle of the one here. Grant it, this was from the 80s, but it seems like a pretty timeless style.

Any suggestions?

JMG32

New in Town
That's pretty close, thanks. Still not quite what I'm looking for though.

Seems like this kind of hat doesn't exist anywhere...I've looked high and low.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
That's pretty close, thanks. Still not quite what I'm looking for though.

Seems like this kind of hat doesn't exist anywhere...I've looked high and low.

it is pretty much the exact hat with a different crease

the hat you are looking for exists everywhere

Last edited:

JMG32

New in Town
I do appreciate the find. It could work. I was hoping for a bit darker of a gray closer to the one in the movie, but this might work.

Now, can you find one a bit cheaper? haha

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I do appreciate the find. It could work. I was hoping for a bit darker of a gray closer to the one in the movie, but this might work.

Now, can you find one a bit cheaper? haha

sure... but remember with hats you get what you pay for

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all-fedoras/451139-3223/pinch-crown-crushable-fedora-hat.html

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all-fedoras/451139-91616/chatham-fur-felt-fedora-hat.html

http://bernardhats.com/hat-store/co...luxe-bogart-caribou-gray-fur-felt-fedora-hat/

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

JMG32

New in Town

Yeah, true. I do want a good one.

That second one looks pretty good. I'd prefer the brim not curl up in the back but that's not really a deal breaker. I think I came across that one earlier today but I've looked at so many I lost track of it.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, true. I do want a good one.

That second one looks pretty good. I'd prefer the brim not curl up in the back but that's not really a deal breaker. I think I came across that one earlier today but I've looked at so many I lost track of it.

so snap the back of the brim down

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Spend the bucks and buy the hat. It comes in an open crown so you'll be able to crease it exactly like in the pic. It also has a nice whipstitch brim treatment similar to this.
IMG_20160129_185644_zpsqgnkwrl1-1.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
my pleasure .

I hope you get something you like ... and if you do please show us it on your noggin

I still think the first one I posted ... the Escape is the way to go .... but I understand if the price seems steep

probably worth it if you plan to wear it a bunch

JMG32

New in Town
my pleasure .

I hope you get something you like ... and if you do please show us it on your noggin

I still think the first one I posted ... the Escape is the way to go .... but I understand if the price seems steep

probably worth it if you plan to wear it a bunch

Yeah, I'm gonna try to talk myself into it, thanks!

Just have to figure my hat size now...and get a trench coat to complete the look.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

Just have to figure my hat size now...and get a trench coat to complete the look.

That looks to be more of an overcoat than a trench coat... a trench coat to me is a rain coat

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

The very first one is the one I was referring to also. It comes in open crown and I believe its a Seville hat made for JJ. Its a very high quality hat body and should be fairly soft.

GGlep

New in Town
Looks much like an Akubra Stylemaster or Sydney/Fedora to me. The Stylemaster comes creased while the Sydney/Fedora comes with an open crown and can be shaped to your liking. The fedora from JJ Hats (link above) looks very nice. The Akubras are a bit more reasonable but still known to be a very high quality product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112