Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative comments about your jackets from others

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I get compliments on my jackets from strangers when I go out. It's a little weird, to be honest, but I like it, I think. As for my girlfriend, my girlfriend thinks I'm a little bit weird, but she likes my keepers. She does make fun of me a bit for how much I have, which is deserved, she's a good sport and so am I.

willyto

One Too Many
Jason Momoa - I don't have a TV, never heard of the guy, so I googled him. He looks like a cross between casehopper and Monitor:

Hot-Jason-Momoa-Pictures.png

I've just heard that he is quite difficult and egotistical. The biggest example is that he received a free Harley as part of a promotion and then immediately spray painted it in front of the reps as though it were a complete joke.

Haha I've been accused of picking things that are "too slutty" as well at times... what can I say, I think she looks good :D That said, I actually enjoy shopping with her.

Funny that you say that because I was about to tell a complete different story. I crossed paths with him and another friend of his with huge muscles and they were vintage shopping in London at different locations and markets. He was nice with everyone at the stands and I was told so too by staff from the shops, he didn't have a "I'm famous" attitude at all and you could see no one bothered him even if we all knew who he was (I've never understood that attitude towards famours people like if they were gods...). He was wearing USMC green trousers, work boots, a white tee and a flat cap, he definitely wouldn't stand out in the workwear/military vintage aficionados community, well he would because he's just massive and ripped.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Funny that you say that because I was about to tell a complete different story. I crossed paths with him and another friend of his with huge muscles and they were vintage shopping in London at different locations and markets. He was nice with everyone at the stands and I was told so too by staff from the shops, he didn't have a "I'm famous" attitude at all and you could see no one bothered him even if we all knew who he was (I've never understood that attitude towards famours people like if they were gods...). He was wearing USMC green trousers, work boots, a white tee and a flat cap, he definitely wouldn't stand out in the workwear/military vintage aficionados community, well he would because he's just massive and ripped.

Or he went to a convention in Paris completely wasted and ruined it for his fans.

Just like his hotel room which he trashed before he left... upstanding guy....

That is a true story.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get compliments on my jackets from strangers when I go out. It's a little weird, to be honest, but I like it, I think. As for my girlfriend, my girlfriend thinks I'm a little bit weird, but she likes my keepers. She does make fun of me a bit for how much I have, which is deserved, she's a good sport and so am I.
I think Guppy summed up what really matters in his last sentence here: "she's a good sport and so am I". It is unrealistic to expect that our girlfriends/wives will share every interest and enthusiastically support every hobby we may undertake. if the relationship is built upon love and mutual respect then it can certainly weather these little idiosyncrasies.
I don't share my girlfriends fascination with UnderArmour hoodies and tennis shoes, but I instinctively grasp the compulsive spirit of a born acquisitor and I know that she is the one for me!

Not too many people in Miami/FLL appreciate quality leather jackets. Most of the “negative” comments I get are along the lines of “isn’t it too hot to wear leather?” They also look at me askance. Usually other riders that are decked out in less than stellar Harley gear.

Gamma68

One Too Many
My wife is very practical. She likes my leather jackets enough ... but not the number I've acquired, or the amount of money I've spent on them. When she asks how many more leather jackets I need, I reply "all of them." Then I ask her how many more shoes she needs. ;)

As for public comments, I've only received a few compliments. Two from the same man who saw me at a bar over two successive weeks (one for my Cooper A-2 and another for my AVI LTHR A-1). Two others were from bar waitresses who thought my Brown Schott 626 looked "sharp."

Interestingly, all of these compliments came from African Americans. This makes me wonder if, generally speaking, black people are more tuned in to style than white folks?

willyto

One Too Many
Or he went to a convention in Paris completely wasted and ruined it for his fans.

Just like his hotel room which he trashed before he left... upstanding guy....

That is a true story.

I don't know him personally so I can't judge but honestly I've never been a fan of having actors as role models, nothing good comes from it. They are all human and as humans they can be unpredictable. We never get to know them so making assumptions isn't always the best thing. I don't care about gossip so I didn't know anything about all that nor would I have searched for it. It's unlikely that I'll ever cross paths again so to be honest I couldn't care less if he's a pric or a great guy because it doesn't affect me.

People praise a lot certain actors for their looks and style but forget abut their acts, one example I can't stand people sharing pics of Marlon Brando because of this:

Hey, he looks good so forget about the horrible thing he did.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My last wife wasn't too happy about anything I did in the way of grooming or dressing, including my leathers.

My grooming and dressing habits were long-established by that time, and in the beginning she was attracted to me in that mode.

Then she insisted I shave and systematically began to change my wardrobe.

Notice I said she was my last wife.

I'm glad I saved all my prior-to-her clothing.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
What's interesting is that my girlfriend is exactly like this, but only when I'm shopping for tailored clothes (suits, ties, etc etc). She strangely seems to love it...picking out ties, shoes, fabrics and so on. She even travelled with me to London for every single fitting of a suit I had made (which she really didn't have to do). From past experiences, she really likes me wearing tailored stuff. Really likes it. If you get what I mean. Ahem.

When it comes to these jackets? "Ugh, not another jacket!" I only have three.

I should point out I have about 200 ties in my wardrobe and she bought me another one for my birthday...oh the irony. ;)
maybe she likes you in form fitting jackets, maybe she only dislikes bomber type jackets, not necessarily the leather material? just guessing.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting thread topic here! Since I've been on a "fast" from dating for a few years, by choice and the circumstance of living in Iowa, where women are scarce :eek: :). I'll recall a young couple I met this summer while on vacation instead, oh that we could all be blessed in this way:

I was sitting near the husband (who is 25) and he noticed my White's boots (well used, very broken in). He asked what they were, and then said they are beautiful, really well made. Remember, these are my work pair and were actually rather dirty. Then he noticed an Aero jacket I had with me, a FQHH 30's HB in Cordovan. When he found out it was Horween horsehide leather, he quickly asked his wife to join him and together they both lovingly examined my jacket. To my astonishment, they had visited Horween in Chicago, and she had bought a few hides and made him some simple bags. They both have a passion for leathers, and neither is even close to 30 yet. What a gift!

If I ever meet a woman who could put up with me for very long, I would hope dearly that I could engage in her passions and that she would want to be doing the same with me. We can hope, that's for sure.

Ribdoner

A-List Customer
The only negative comments I recall receiving with regards to my jackets have come from my wife in regards to my "GRIZZLY" and at times I see her point because after owning it for 4+ years and having worn it 20+- times I'm still on the fence

When I'm in a GRIZZLY mood it's perfect but GRIZZLY moods seem farther and farther apart

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I'm just impressed that people know who the hell he is. He just looks like a goofy young man to me.

Edward

Bartender
I went out with a girl who would buy me clothes that were ill-fitting and didn't suited me. I never understood it because she was forever dressing herself in flouncy, colourful stuff. Didn't help our relationship: 'oh great, a moss green, shapeless hoodie. Just what I would never wear or need..." (which I never said, I should add).

Ha, yeah.... I had an ex years ago who would subtly control me. Quite the manipulator.... and sometimes said things that should have made me wonder (like the time she suggested we sell her one crappy guitar and my several nice and expensve ones, "and buy one nice one we can share." And it hadn't seemed to occur to her that it would be an issue that I was left-handed and she not.) She absolutely refused to "let" me own any A2 style leather jacket with knits.... That relationship was a right horrorshow, not in an obvious way, but in retrospect it was so psychologically damaging on me. Let's put it this way: a dear friend, once it had all fallen apart and the dust had settled, told me that a lot of people feared I was being "Festered". (After Fester Addams' experience with Debbie in Addams Family Values). I think they were right.

This young Biker chic saunters over (Wife is at home!!) & sayes how much she digs my 'Get-Up'.."Why thank you" I reply. "Reminds me of my Grandpa" sayes She :)

Had that.... in my case, it was tweed and pipesmoke.

my girlfriend is always asking me if I'm "jacketing" on the forums. She likes it.

Herself talks about the forums I'm on as "Jackety Wars" (this place) and "Denim W*nking" (another). All in good fun, though. She doesn't get my fixation on small details - she'd be happy in the same black teadress and combat boots forever - but she loves the vintage aesthetic. She'll probably get more into it later on too (we're both losing weight currently and avoiding buying anything too much until we hit target).

Jason Momoa - I don't have a TV, never heard of the guy, so I googled him. He looks like a cross between casehopper and Monitor:

Hot-Jason-Momoa-Pictures.png

He played the Horsey Man who married the Dragon Lady in Game of Thrones; he's also in the new Justice League film, I gather.

Interestingly mine calls it “jacketing off” whenever she sees me reading the forum. She’s such a sweetheart, appreciates and encourages every one of my purchases and has even bought one or two of my jackets for me. She has great style but I practically have to force her to buy anything for herself, or buy it for her. Hands down the most selfless person I’ve ever met besides my own mother. I can’t even imagine dealing with these passive-aggressive, judgmental women that some of you guys seem to be afflicted with. I never could tolerate people like that, And no matter how beautiful the woman those relationships were always extremely angry, brutish and short.

Jings, yes. I think there's a lot to be said for not getting into a long temr relationship until you're of an age and lifestage where noone seriously expects you to change. I'm in a similar position to you, and it is much much nicer than what I was used to before. One particularly awful ex (she of the guitars) really went though odd phases where she liked me dressing nice, but hated if she thought I was getting more attention than her. Odd one.

I've just heard that he is quite difficult and egotistical. The biggest example is that he received a free Harley as part of a promotion and then immediately spray painted it in front of the reps as though it were a complete joke.

Naughty. Tiny bit funny, but mostly naughty. I wouldn't do it. Harley's are definitely not my thing, but the right one could be the basis of a great custom if it was going for free, and had the right frame to be converted to a 50s style bobber.

...and in the beginning she was attracted to me in that mode.

Then she insisted I shave and systematically began to change my wardrobe.

I've heard of this happening to some folks. Sure it happened to me once too. I never did understand the psychology of being attracted to someone then trying to change everything about them. There do seem to be some women, though, who regard men as raw material and see them not for who they are but their "potential" post makeover. Thing is, it's always ths kind of woman who gets viciously angry if the man doesn't want to change.

The only negative comments I recall receiving with regards to my jackets have come from my wife in regards to my "GRIZZLY" and at times I see her point because after owning it for 4+ years and having worn it 20+- times I'm still on the fence

When I'm in a GRIZZLY mood it's perfect but GRIZZLY moods seem farther and farther apart

I want a grizzly, Herself isn't keen on them. Fortyunately for me, she's not the type to refuse to be seen with me in one if I like it.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I'm only 26 years old but I have seen a fair share of people come and go in my life, because I have a very simple philosophy in that regard: There's 7.5 billion people on this planet, most of which I will never get to know. If I don't get along with someone, I won't waste time trying to change into what they want me to be, I will move on. Plenty of more people around to get to know. Same thing with people who hurt or disappoint me. Why should I give someone like that a second chance and invest more time into that person instead of spending that time on finding someone who won't wrong me in the first place.

That being applied onto the girlfriend not liking your jackets issue; she doesn't have to share, support or like your field of interest, but she should respect or atleast tolerate it, just as you should respect or atleast tolerate her interests. If she cannot do that, move on. 7.5 billion people out there, you'll find someone just as lovable who will tolerate it. Or maybe even more than that.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I'm just impressed that people know who the hell he is. He just looks like a goofy young man to me.

Well, I guess not many of you are watching the infamous Game of Thrones anyway.....

I have a slightly different perspective, there are two very important women (my mum and my current partner....) in my life, both of them somehow managed to control my multiple addictions towards certain hobbies, including jackets. My numerous ex's, on the other hand, either did not really care about my purchases or even encouraged me to a certain extend, one in particular, was quite into fashions and was willing to spend big (for us both). My partner is very sensible right now, but since she is so good in saving up, that makes me feel a bit guilty to keep on spending on jackets that I do not really need. I still buy maybe a jacket a year but that's it, and they are usually mint 2nd hand jackets or nylon originals. Maybe we should consider ourselves..... lucky?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Ha, yeah.... I had an ex years ago who would subtly control me. Quite the manipulator.... and sometimes said things that should have made me ownder (like the tme she suggested we sell her one crappy guitar and my several nice and expensve ones, "and buy one nice one we can share." And it hadn't seemed to occur to her that it would be an issue that I was left-handed and she not. She absolutely refused to "let" me own any A2 style leather jacket with knits.... That relationship was a right horrorshow, not in an obvious way, but in retrospect it was so psychologically damaging on me. Let's put it this way: a dear friend, once it had all fallen apart and the dust had settled, told me that a lot of people feared I was being "Festered". (After Fester Addams' experience with Debbie in Addams Family Values). I think they were right.

Had that.... in my case, it was tweed and pipesmoke.

Herself talks about the forums I'm on a "Jackety Wars" (this place) and "Denim W*nking" (another). All in good fun, though. She doesn't get my fixation on small details - she'd be happy in the same black teadress and combat boots forever - but she loves the vintage aesthetic. She'll probably get more into it later on too (we're both losing weight currently and avoiding buying anything too much until we hit target).

He played the Horsey Man who maried the Dragin Lady in Game of Thrones; he's also in the new Justice League film, I gather.

Jings, yes. I think there's a lot to be said for not getting into a long temr relationship until you're of an age and lifestage where noone seriously expects you to change. I'm in a similar position to you, and it is much much nicer than what I was used to before. One particularly awful ex (she of the guitars) really went though odd phases where she liked me dressing nice, but hated if she thought I was getting more attention than her. Odd one.

Naughty. Tiny bit funny, but mostly naughty. I wouldn't do it. Harley's are definitely not my thing, but the right one could be the baiss of a great custom if it was going for free, and had the right frame to be converted to a 50s style bobber.

I've heard of this happening to some folks. Sure it happened to me once too. I never did understand the psychology of being attracted to someone then trying to change everything about them. There do seem to be some women, though, who regard men as raw material and see them not for who they are but their "potential" post makeover. Thing is, it's always ths kind of woman who gets viciously angry if the man doesn't want to change.

I want a grizzly, Herself isn't keen on them. Fortyunately for me, she's not the type to refuse to be seen with me in one if I like it.

Lol Edward. Since you're a mod, you have my blessings to remove what I'm about to spill, but, uh, she told me to "stick that Aero under the mattress to 'break it in'". That's hardcore jacketing. A little too much. Don't want to bust a seam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ