Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative comments about your jackets from others

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
maybe she will ask her fiancee to tell them to their face, and then quoted Jim Carrey "you wouldn't shoot a man with a glasses would ya man!" :p if anything he already wear body bag, won't be too messy with blackened snaps

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
That pair in the video really gave me the "chunder" ( quaint Australianism !)

In Scottish "the Boak" or "the Hughie", you get the picture ( I hope !)...

GregGale

One of the Regulars
It's funny how people seemingly freak out seeing top quality repros of cafe racers and flying jackets. Yet, if you go into any mass producing fashion store, all I've seen for years are cheap lookalikes of the very jackets they criticise. Last year everyone was running around in despicable MA-1 wannabes, and I have a hunch that sheepskin bombers will be the hit of this winter. The very people who wore those MA-1s last year will look down on people wearing them today, while posing in their Zara faux-sheepskin atrocity. I find it very amusing.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
It's funny how people seemingly freak out seeing top quality repros of cafe racers and flying jackets. Yet, if you go into any mass producing fashion store, all I've seen for years are cheap lookalikes of the very jackets they criticise. Last year everyone was running around in despicable MA-1 wannabes, and I have a hunch that sheepskin bombers will be the hit of this winter. The very people who wore those MA-1s last year will look down on people wearing them today, while posing in their Zara faux-sheepskin atrocity. I find it very amusing.

You are absolutely correct, went into Zara, H&M, RiverIsland, Topman, Primark ffs..... they all have some sort of sheepskin bombers out, all in a sudden....

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The funny thing to me is that the CR is literally the most versatile, wearable and unassuming cut of any leather jacket. The reasoning behind their position is so insanely flimsy and just plain wrong. There is no more flattering design than a properly fitted CR. As much as I am a cross zip nut and y'all know I am...it pales in comparison with wearability compared to a CR. I could wear a CR anywhere, with almost anything. Cross zip is strictly weekend wear. Period and end o' story.
ha ha ha, that's ridiculous

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Older people should not golf, nor engage in lawn bowling -- these sports are far too dangerous and older people are likely to injure themselves. Instead, older people should play football, hockey or rugby -- these are far more appropriate sports for elderly people.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That video was one of the more demented things I've seen all year. So much nonsense was said I don't even know where to begin...

I’ve watched quite a few of her videos, most are ok, this is terrible though.

She is primarily aimed at young guys and is much more current fashion cycle oriented than most of us care to be bothered with. In 2 years when biker jackets are out and cafe racers are in they will probably completely change their advice lol

The also talks about links to “good quality” jackets in the YouTube description, they would no doubt be affiliate links they make money off if you end up linking to the stores and buying one.....

zebedee

One Too Many
The video is a bit annoying, but is, as PN claims, most likely a niche thing. Being almost 40 and a non-biker, I often wonder if my cafe racer jacket looks ok (it does when I lose a bit of weight, but a gut makes it look desperate). I am absolutely positive that a motorcycle jacket would look ten times worse on me, though.

This is why God invented the Highwayman.

Cole

One of the Regulars
Another thing with that video is they stole at least one of the images used in it from another forum, no right to use it in the way they have, but they've used it anyway. I thought the guy whose photo it was was going to get the video taken down but I guess its still there at the moment.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Doubt it Cole gave them permission to use his image in that crap video and I guess he doesn't even know where it ended up. What's worse is that he took this photo they've used (stolen?), only to demonstrate how tiny the WOTW Hero jacket runs!

That is because friggin Youtube / Google gives a rats ass about the copyright complain I send them, asking the same question about the copyright violation 3 times, even though every information they need was allready providet.

Now I'll have to give it to a lawyer if I want it taken down, with the result that I have to pay him at least 200,00 € up front, which is not the best think with the upcoming christmas expenses at the door, even if the chances to win this if it ever goes to court are close to 100%.

Belive me I'm realy pissed and if that stupid wannabe experct (she talks so much nonsense in that video it is mindboggeling) would reside here in germany I would get directly to her for compensation for the violation of my rights on this picture, but sitting in the US she's pretty much safe, because I realy don't trust the US justice system and don't think, there's a lawyer in the US who would sue her for 3/4 of whatever comes around from it, carrying the financial risk himself. :)

That is because friggin Youtube / Google gives a rats ass about the copyright complain I send them, asking the same question about the copyright violation 3 times, even though every information they need was allready providet.

Now I'll have to give it to a lawyer if I want it taken down, with the result that I have to pay him at least 200,00 € up front, which is not the best think with the upcoming christmas expenses at the door, even if the chances to win this if it ever goes to court are close to 100%.

Belive me I'm realy pissed and if that stupid wannabe experct (she talks so much nonsense in that video it is mindboggeling) would reside here in germany I would get directly to her for compensation for the violation of my rights on this picture, but sitting in the US she's pretty much safe, because I realy don't trust the US justice system and don't think, there's a lawyer in the US who would sue her for 3/4 of whatever comes around from it, carrying the financial risk himself. :)
Ya still looked better than her boyfriend in his flimsy POS crosszip. So you've got that going for you. She probably has that picture saved in her favorites file on her phone;)

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
That sucks. I've had photos removed from several social sites that shouldn't have been used but I've just briefly read up on YouTube and it does indeed look like they've purposefully made it a bit of a nightmare on there.

If not a copyright claim have you tried a privacy complaint? Seems this photo would fit in with their policy on that as well perhaps; https://www.youtube.com/t/privacy_guidelines

Just a thought.

End of the day they're so clueless and the 'advice' in that video is so low value I'm sure they'll just jump onto another bandwagon into in a short while and this will probably all be gone anyway.

I should send them a picture of my cordovan cafe racer, blow that b*tches mind...

Telling me I dress inappropriately, harumph.
Wait, wait, wait. You mean we shouldn't take this expert level advice as doctrine?? Oh Internet...I give up. I just want to be told what to do and exactly how to do it, as not to raise any suspicion of a mind capable of independent thought or freedom of expression. God forbid I standout from the crowd. Oh the humanity. I want to scortch the earth in her comments section, full blown Thanos mode, but it's totally pointless.

NABodie

New in Town
Sounds like you need to asses this girls position on the universal hot/crazy matrix to see if you want to stay there on move on. Sounds like she falls somewhere in the fun or date zone but I don't have all the details to give an accurate estimate. Now if you aren't familiar with the universal hot/crazy matrix you can learn more here

Good luck!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Cafe Racer! A name that has been bastardised to encompass mostly black leather jackets with a mandarin collar and a centre zip, a little bit like the sage green nylon MA1 being known as a Bomber jacket.
Historically a cafe racer is a street legal representation of a racing motorcycle design from around the early 1960s. Riders of these bikes, the Rockers, more often wore the lancer style jackets with the leather(W) collars, sometimes studded up, sometimes not, including motorcycle badges and other adornments and talismans. A cafe racer therefore is a person riding a racing style motorcycle in a motorcycle jacket of any design
I wore a straight zip jacket in the 1970s and 80s as an early Retro Rocker but we never called them cafe racer jackets, it was just a motorcycle jacket. Why this style jacket is referred to as such is beyond me as the modern version in colourful leathers are often referred to as 'Power Ranger' suits etc but not the good old black leather straight zip.
The one advantage of this style over the W collared/Lancer style is that a belted lancer can looked sloppy if the belt is left dangling rather than tucked back on itself as the so called cafe racer can pass for street wear more easily.
Anyone wondering where the name Lancer comes from, it is a military style worn by often associated with the Crimean war where the short jackets worn by cavalry officers were decorated and often buttoned up across the chest.
As for blacked out jacket details on bike jackets, these remind me of cheap bike looking jackets available in any cheap clothing store mainly made for street wear. Were those two paid to waffle like that in the video?
So in conclusion, Cafe racer jacket = any bike jacket style with a straight zip or crossover, with or without a shirt style collar worn when riding a cafe racer motorcycle. I'm not sure who was the first to use this term for a leather jacket but it may have been my beloved Aero.
Rant over :)

To be honest you can call it what you want, it's all good fun, I love my Power Ranger jackets and Hayabusa as much as my straight zip Eastman Luftwaffe which I wear riding my Bonneville.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I feel far dumber after watching that video.

Perhaps they will wake up are realize that, well, they are not putting out anything helpful together ...

And I'll keep wearing my Cafe Racer's and Cross Zips, regardless of what they may think. :)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It wasn’t really a negative comment about my jacket, but it was memorable because
of the person who told me.

“Son, you got the CBI patch on the wrong sleeve!”
David Lee “Tex” Hill, Ace fighter pilot of the Flying Tigers.

It was in the ‘80s at a television studio. Was doing news camera work.
He was visiting the station.
It was my first jacket from J.C. Penney store. Not even real leather
although it looked old, which is why I bought it. I had just seen the
movie, "Flying Tigers” with John Wayne and the bug for military jackets
hit me. Over the course of time, I slowly began to learn about leather jackets.
I’m still learning.

So far the only other comment was from a coworker who told me.
“You always look like you stepped out of WW2!”

My cold season gear for work consists of olive-drab heavy cotton cargo pants,
cotton khaki shirt, army sweater, combat army boots and either my A1, A2, G-1
depending on the mood or how cold it gets.
Military sheepskin jacket, gloves and B-2 cap when I have to stay out
in the cold at the airfield for a very long spell waiting for the President.

IMG_6171.jpg
Space-shuttle landing, San Antonio.
Don’t recall much else except that the sun came out which was nice.
A pal from the newspaper took the pic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112