Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 30´s jacket

Cooperson

One Too Many
The one piece back, without the half belt, probably gives a longer look, but the actual length looks fine to me. Nice looking hide too, should break in really well.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I'm going to break with the group - I think it is too short. It's a beautiful jacket, I really like the clean lines and the hide but IMO it should be longer [Full Disclosure: I prefer a longer jacket. It broke my heart but I sent a brown FQHH zip sleeve Highwayman back to Aero for the same reason - it was shorter than I had ordered; Amanda offered a full refund and another lounger bought it so I guess everything turned out ok.]

767fo

One of the Regulars
You did a great job adjusting the style of the 30's half belt. The back length, shoulders, and overall fit is dead on. The sleeves really look long but some people like that look and you pull it off well. But I do think you could go with at least another half inch in the front length. But only if you zip the jacket and your belt is exposed.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
It might be hard to get a jacket exactly the length one orders.

The sleeves is also a little mystery. They are longer then they should be....I ordered +1" but they look more like +1.5"
Its not a big problem tho since they will shorten alot with the double leather cuffs.

It bugs me that it is 0.5" shorter then I wanted, but I agree that it really looks good in the pictures. Any longer and it will start to touch the backpockets and I dont want that at all, infact I find it really annoying.
I gotta snap a few more pics with different jeans before making my mind up completely.

The jacket covers the belt all around, zipped and unzipped.
It is exactly as long in the front as my 2 other Aero jackets - perfect.

767fo

One of the Regulars
That's great!!! I really like the look of the back without the half belt. I hope the sleeves shorten up a bit on my HWM with some wear. They were a tad long but not enough to send it back to be shortened. Congrats on the jacket!!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If you think it's only .5 of an inch too short, why worry? It's hardly a noticable amount. I think it's too short as well but I'd say 1.5 - 2 inches to my taste. And taste is all it is. I think it looks okay in the photos and I've seen shorter jackets that people think look okay. It helps when you are thin too. Short looks more planned than accidental. Nice hide.

Last edited:

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Outstanding Griff!

Jacket length looks just right, especially for this style. 30s HB has to be my favourite of all the Aero patterns.

Please update with pics once you get some wear on the oil-pull.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Griff, cool jacket man! A unique set of details and the one piece back makes it even more special. Fit is spot on although I would prefer the side panels to be more tucked in (via buckles). The HB has a waisted silhouette...IMO it shouldn't look like a longer Highwayman but you should make use of the side panels and buckles... But this is just a matter of personal taste. The jacket itself is great!!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Thanks.

I am planning to strap the sides, and yes it looks better with a little waisted look, but to lock them they became a little too tight, and it just pulled the leather from the front in a wierd looking way. I am planning to wet them and stretch them so I can strap them and lock them without it being too tight. I did it on my Highwayman and it works very good. I just didnt want to do anything before I knew if im gonna keep the jacket or not.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Griff, as you probably know, the 30s HB is supposed to ride quite high. Lengthen it, and it will lose its distinctive look. The fit looks excellent to me; true, the sleeves are quite long but I think they will come right with time.

Sir J

Edward

Bartender
Looks great overall to me. I have one myself and I'm probably just a tiny bit fatter than is ideal (it's perfect over the shoulders, tight on the gut - I like the 'secure' feeling of it being tight, but I'm hoping to lose a little bit of weight so I can belt it in just a touch!). Length on your looks just fine - mine's about the same. I very much like the shorter jacket look. Looks grand with whatever those jeans are, will look great with anything vintage and high waisted.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah I think you all are right. Maybe this is why the machinist made it a little shorter, its just the style and she couldnt bare to alter it too much :D

It does come up a tiny bit more with the straps straped lol, but I think its gonna be a great summer jacket.
Short is nice in the summer, and the weight is almost half that of my FQHH Highwayman!!

Edward

Bartender
Yeah I think you all are right. Maybe this is why the machinist made it a little shorter, its just the style and she couldnt bare to alter it too much :D

It does come up a tiny bit more with the straps straped lol, but I think its gonna be a great summer jacket.
Short is nice in the summer, and the weight is almost half that of my FQHH Highwayman!!

I'm a real fan of the shorter length jackets - just love the look. I'm hoping my Aero MC will look better on me when I lose a little weight as it tends to push down the beltline on my jeans and ride up (that said, not worn it yet with a higher waisted pair of jeans, so..... the Carhartts I have are great for a high waist, but they are loose on me and I think intended to be worn more as MC Hammer pants, down on the hips, so belted in at the waist they bunch a bit, and slip out under a tight biker jacket.... heh. I've just accidentally ordered an Apprentice made steerhide Highwayman, so we'll see how that slightly more generous cut comes up on me!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I like the 2 panel sleeves. JanSolo recommended I go the 2 panel sleeve route and this is the first jacket I've seen like that. Very clean look.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah. I regret not doing it on my CafeRacer.

I want to add that I have the jacket strapped now and it looks alot better.
It just needed some braking in to drape better.
Basically its the same but with a slightly waisted look (and its actually a little shorter too lol)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have posted these elsewhere but want to put them in the right thread aswell.

I now use the jacket with the sidestraps strapped.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

10.jpg

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I also want to add some closeups of the leather.

For a medium weight leather, this is absolutely amazing. Its light in weight so I can use the jacket in the summer, but it also have kindof an oily feel to it. The color is very rich and interesting but what is truly amazing is how it ages.

This started only days after I began to wear the jacket, and I really havent wore it that much. We all know how FQHH ages, with a shine in some places and a lighter tone in other places. This leather however appears to rub off its finish making it look older then it is......it doesnt get creases as easily and the leather isn't as easy to "mold" as the waxy FQHH, its pliable and does develop creases but a little more soft towards the normal medium weight hide but they stay much more in place as you can see on the pics.

...it looks almost old and well worn after just a few days.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana