Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Jacket – Lining question

Montecristo

New in Town
Guys,
I know I had a lot of threads going quite some time ago about how I was about to order an Aero, but this is how life goes: you plan something and then work, family or something else comes in between. So here I am again, years later, thinking I am about to order a jacket from Aero and looking for the advice of experienced „Aeronados“, so some more threads will follow…

My main idea is something like a plainsman, maybe a little longer.

My first question is about the lining: how would you evaluate the standard tweed herringbone lining (not the Harris)? I would like to wear the jacket for temperatures like 0-12 degrees celcius (32 to 53 F). Would it work for that? Or would it to warm for the 5-12 (41-53) part of my range?

Next alternative would be moleskin, but Aero seems to have only a dark brown colour at the moment, which i find a little dull (my plan for the leather is also dark brown). But I like the texture of it. It could be a little warm though.

Opinions?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm certain you'll get answers all over the board with your inquiry. My perspective is that a lining is designed more for function, including durability, than anything else, so my personal choices would be cotton drill, moleskin, or corduroy body shell and cotton drill (or cotton sateen) for sleeve lining. My cold/foul weather coat is a brown FQHH Teamster with brown moleskin body shell and cotton sateen sleeve linings. If needed, I layer with either a moleskin or 24 oz. Mackinaw Filson vest.

1.jpg 8C3383BF-A0AD-4590-BF5A-6C60125D7A0A-1167-000002B4D0395E10.jpg 2016-02-14 12.46.42.jpg

The first two pictures were taken when new, and the last picture after three years of use. Pictures are not great but the best I can do with my only camera (IPhone). :rolleyes:

Montecristo

New in Town
Wow, great jacket! In the second picture the moleskin colour looks good with the brown leather. It is the dark brown moleskin, right? Maybe it is not too bad...
In which temperature range do you wear it comfortably?

Yes, sateen sleeves are a must for me. I dont understand how people can stand the pain to move an arm into a sleeve that is lined with normal cotton.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The standard weight herringbone is timeless and versatile. It won't be quite as warm as moleskin, but the moleskin isn't really going to be substantially warmer either. I had the alpaca lining in my Aero LHB , but removed it (too itchy) and had it replaced with tweed herringbone. I haven't noticed any real loss in warmth. I have a Teamster that I bought used and had the lining replaced with a quilted material. It is quite a bit warmer than my LHB, but the warmth limits the amount of times I can wear the jacket. I prefer a lighter liner and the ability to wear a sweater or vest under the jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Wow, great jacket! In the second picture the moleskin colour looks good with the brown leather. It is the dark brown moleskin, right? Maybe it is not too bad...
In which temperature range do you wear it comfortably?

Yes, sateen sleeves are a must for me. I dont understand how people can stand the pain to move an arm into a sleeve that is lined with normal cotton.

It doesn't often get all that cold in N Texas but wear my Teamster comfortably between ~30-60 degrees F (0-15C), layering with a Mackinaw wool vest at the low temp, moleskin vest mid-point temp, and no layering at the upper end temp.

For whatever reason Aero's cotton drill sleeves work just fine for me and see little comparative difference between their regular cotton drill and sateen cotton, although I'm sure others will note a difference.

Montecristo

New in Town
Thanks guys. If we were to do a list of the warmth of linings in ascending order, what would be the order? Is it

Cotton
Herringbone Tweed
Moleskin
Wool Tartan
Alpaca

?

@Grayland: in which temperatures do you wear you LHB?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. If we were to do a list of the warmth of linings in ascending order, what would be the order? Is it

Cotton
Herringbone Tweed
Moleskin
Wool Tartan
Alpaca

Probably Aero (Denny or Holly) can best answer your question. Keep in mind Aero offers a lighter weight wool tartan but also a heavy weight "Strome" lining. I perceive their Harris Tweed is somewht heavy and very nice. You left out corduroy which I am told is a nice winter lining. I think moleskin falls somewhere in between. Don't try to overanalyze the issue. o_O

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
I second Fanch's suggestion. I have cotton drill, moleskin, and my teamster has cord in the body and moleskin sleeves. If the jacket style has tighter arms as in a premier fit, I could understand the sateen, but it is also less durable. My favorite and most durable lining is moleskin. Not the flash of a tartan, but less itchy and comfortable to me.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Are you planning to wear it layered? I have an Alpaca lined mariner and I live in similar weather conditions as yours. I'd say that below 5 degrees Celsius I prefer my wool Peacoat or N3B parka.

Edward

Bartender
One thing to consider with the wool linings is whether your home is prone to attact moths (this is a problem I've had this last while). The wool linings are definitely more at risk in that regard. I've not had the tweed, but I do have a regular weight taran wool lining in my Bootlegger. Comparing like for like in hides (fqhh BL against a FQHH 30s HB lined in drill cotton), the BL's combination of wool tartan in the body and moleskin in the sleeves is definitely a touch warmer, though only by a couple of week's worth of wear later into the end of Spring / start of Summer. IMO, for the most part choice of lining will make as much if not more of a difference than the weight of the leather itself as to how warm the jacket is. I can wear my wool-lined BL in the temperatures you suggest.... though my cotton lined jackets a few degrees higher - especially my HWM (midweight steer), which is, I think, also partly helped by the looser fit of that style.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
In my experience, the moleskin feels warmer than the standard tartan lining. You can always step the tartan up to a heavier weight, though I'd probably go with cord instead.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
In my experience, the moleskin feels warmer than the standard tartan lining. You can always step the tartan up to a heavier weight, though I'd probably go with cord instead.
I concur. Brilliant minds think alike. :D If I were to buy another Aero jacket, I think I would snap up their Original Hercules that is lined with heavy duty corduroy with moleskin sleeve lining, although I still think I would go with cotton drill sleeves rather than moleskin, primarily for smoother access on and off. As I recall the Original Hercules comes with a throat latch as well for foul weather protection. I think another Lounge member @Carlos840 just bought an Original Herc just in the last few days.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Guys,
I know I had a lot of threads going quite some time ago about how I was about to order an Aero, but this is how life goes: you plan something and then work, family or something else comes in between. So here I am again, years later, thinking I am about to order a jacket from Aero and looking for the advice of experienced „Aeronados“, so some more threads will follow…

My main idea is something like a plainsman, maybe a little longer.

My first question is about the lining: how would you evaluate the standard tweed herringbone lining (not the Harris)? I would like to wear the jacket for temperatures like 0-12 degrees celcius (32 to 53 F). Would it work for that? Or would it to warm for the 5-12 (41-53) part of my range?

Next alternative would be moleskin, but Aero seems to have only a dark brown colour at the moment, which i find a little dull (my plan for the leather is also dark brown). But I like the texture of it. It could be a little warm though.

Opinions?
There's a difference between a jacket, a coat, and a parka. Jackets are meant to be lighter. The lining should be of a durable, long wearing material.

Warmth comes from keeping the air around you warm. That's a function of two things: the outer shell keeping the wind out, and insulation inside the jacket between the shell and the inner lining. If you don't have any insulation, then you can layer under the jacket, and just rely on the shell to stop the wind and seal the air around you in.

Heavier linings just do double duty as insulation, that's all. But I think it's best to go with a sturdy fabric that's easy to clean.

Montecristo

New in Town
Anyone knows the difference between the Harris Tweed and the regular Herringbone? Is it just the brand name why Harris comes with an extra price?

Graemsay

Practically Family
Harris Tweed may be handwoven, and comes from a particular region (several islands in the Outer Hebrides). I'm guessing that the regular Herringbone is more likely to be mass-produced. Click through on the link to find out more.

Given the choice, I'd go with Harris Tweed. It's got a more interesting story, and it's supporting a craft industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana