Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Zip Sleeve Highwayman, LOVE IT!!!

Drax

New in Town
Can't thank you enough MendelB.

Have been dithering whether to order another HWN or something else - Teamster /LHB etc...

Due to your post(s) I've DEFINITELY decided to stay with the HWN.

However after seeing /touching/ wearing HH & the Black Heavy Steerhide I already own, I'm going to go for that Brown Heavy Steerhide.

I prefer the heavy grainiest jackets - I'm used to bike jackets -& HH just(unfortunately) doesn't do it for me.

(Heresy I hear you all say):p

Inspirational.:)

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I'm glad I could be of help!

If you like grainy leathers, might I suggest CXL Bison? It's supposed to be very grainy, and very juicy...

This particular model is the Zip Sleeve HWM; I like it better because it's a more simple design IMO and I totally dig the front yoke.

A piece of advice: go with corduroy lined sleeves. It feels supernice. Also, I had my HWM tapered one size down.

Last edited:

Drax

New in Town
Only having HWM tapered due to your post. Didn't know it was an option.:)
Will ask about the Bison - sounds right up my street!
I like the front of the orginal HWM - but I absolutely love the sleeves on your zip sleeve version!
Would be perfect if I could have HWM with zip sleeves without the zip & storm cuffs!:)
Will keep you posted.
Thanks
D

mendelboaz

One Too Many
In colder weather, the steerhide is one tough mistress once you put it on. It's very stiff when cold, and I mean very stiff.. But once the steerhide has warmed up to your body it's just plain lovely-- very smooth and pliable, but still much thicker and juicier than the horsehide. Couldn't wish for a nicer leather than the brown CXL steerhide on my Zip Sleeve HWM :) The leather definitely has TONS of breaking in left to do; I have a steerhide sample from Aero that I messed with quite a bit and that leather is fine, my friend...

Okay, you convinced me Mendel, I think I'm gonna go with this now, only with shoulder gussets. And in black. And with chest pocket. Yeah, sounds about right.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That HWM looks great and appears to fit well. We should all be so fortunate. Not too sure though about your footwear. :D What kind of pocketwatch are you sporting?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Thank you for all the kind words, gentlemen!

Fanch-- I wear either Wesco Harness/Jobmaster boots or Chippewa engineer boots, so not to worry! I would love to get a pair of White's Semi Dress boots or John Lofgren engineer boots some day... And 'tis not a pocket watch I'm sporting, 'tis a chain trucker wallet!

Grayland & Nick-- I try to encorporate this mentality into all of my jacket purchases. They always turn out fitting and looking great, whilst leaving a good amount of room for grow without looking too baggy. I do have to say that the HWM is a jacket that works best for the broadshouldered. This way, the excess of leather kind of falls into place.

Ivan, definitely keep me posted on that one! I siggest going with the same size as your J106; I did and it worked out great :)

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Congrats on the jacket, Mendel!! Sweet stuff that jacket... Is the Brown CXL Steer pretty uniformly Brown like chocolate or does it have variable Orange and Red tones?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Congrats on the jacket, Mendel!! Sweet stuff that jacket... Is the Brown CXL Steer pretty uniformly Brown like chocolate or does it have variable Orange and Red tones?

Thank you, sir! When the jacket is hung up on a hanger, the color is pretty uniform. But since this is a pull up leather, red & orange tones show up all over the jacket when you put it on :)

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Mendel,

That looks like a different jacket! Nice work breaking it in!

It is a size 38 in the chest and shoulders, what size suit jacket do you wear?

Edward

Bartender
That has broken in really nicely. I'm tempted by a jacket in the heavy steer at some point. Aero advised against it for my Dustbowl (Rachel showed me one they'd made up in it for a customer request- looked great, but the pleats and so on didn'tg work as well as in FQHH or lighter). I think it's a great one for bike jackets and such, possibly my J106, when I get that far....

Can't thank you enough MendelB.

Have been dithering whether to order another HWN or something else - Teamster /LHB etc...

Due to your post(s) I've DEFINITELY decided to stay with the HWN.

However after seeing /touching/ wearing HH & the Black Heavy Steerhide I already own, I'm going to go for that Brown Heavy Steerhide.

I prefer the heavy grainiest jackets - I'm used to bike jackets -& HH just(unfortunately) doesn't do it for me.

(Heresy I hear you all say):p

Inspirational.:)

My HWM is a completely standard model, in steer (though the lighter steer. Thick as FQHH, but softer drape, which I like in the boxy design). I'd hummed and ha'ed for a long time over the HWM, didn't think I'd like it being a boxy cut, but ended up jumping on one on Aero's sale page and it's one of my most-worn jackets now. Ideal for when you want something with maybe a vibe closer to a bike jacket than a halfbelt, but a bit subtler.... (Similar sort of territory to the Bootlegger in that regard).

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mendel, the jacket looks superb on you, and it'll be nice to have one you can wear a sweater with. Edward's right about the kind of weird appeal of the HWM: kind of a biker jacket with a slightly western vibe. Whatever it is, I think the HWM is still the best-selling Aero jacket simply because there's something understated yet cool about it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Mendel, the jacket looks superb on you, and it'll be nice to have one you can wear a sweater with. Edward's right about the kind of weird appeal of the HWM: kind of a biker jacket with a slightly western vibe. Whatever it is, I think the HWM is still the best-selling Aero jacket simply because there's something understated yet cool about it.

That front deco on the zip sleeve HWM does remind me of a slightly Western look. But that only compliments the zip sleeves, making for a jacket that slightly hints at kind of a late 60s countercultural vibe. It's something Fonda might have worn.

Damo

A-List Customer
The kid is back! (i realize this is an older thread but its new too me) Look at that... Bud that is one seriously good looking jacket. You killed it.
fit, check
colour, check
brass hardware, check
stlye, check
lining, check
Collar, check

The highwayman never did anything for me either until now.

Love it but hate it cause now i have to get an aero in steer and fqhh too

Last edited:

zoran

Banned
Great jacket. The leather looks amazing. The stitches are impressive. I like that. This is the jacket without compromise. This is not for someone who buy jacket for the first time in his life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm