Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New book claims Hitler and Eva Braun fled Berlin and died (divorced) of old age in Ar

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I read the following from the Wichita Public Library, so I didn't give them any money.

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Adolf-Hitler-Bodies-Berlin/dp/0312140185/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318948004&sr=8-3

This one has a better premise, basically the SS shot Hitler cause they were so tired of his screaming, farting, and general smelly persona. They took the body of a lady about Eva's size, shoved her in Eva's dress and torched the two. They and Eva figure she wasn't public enough to get caught. Apparently she never was...

This one is a LITTLE more plausible. A drug infested vegan, with shattered nerves couldn't have been much fun around the bunker.

Later

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
elvis-gun.jpg

[video=youtube;0YAcoDkj_dI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YAcoDkj_dI[/video]

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It is hard to say if anything factual can come of claims about a different ending for the death of Hitler. One could ponder that fact is sometimes stranger than fiction, but what real proof does anyone have that Hitler did not die as history accounts it while freshly written at the time period of the war?

Hitler was a evil genius and it is too bad he did not use his head for doing good. I think he dug his hole and should be left to lay in it.

Edward

Bartender
Well this bit is taken from the Article in the DailyMail: "They claim that Hitler's bloodline survived through two daughters he had with Braun".
But I guess Daily Mail says it all...

Quite. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the Mail to accurately reflect what the book claims, so I'd reserve judgement until I actually see it. As to the core concept, it seems no more absurd to me than the guessing game over the identity of Jack the Ripper. I'd read it. I don't see any especial reason to believe the escape theory (which has been around for years, of course), but no reason to dismiss entirely the entertainment factor of a bit of "what if?".

Edward

Bartender
Oh I don't know if I would call him a genius....Evil for sure.

I don't think you'll find any argument on the 'evil' front. Genius is an over-used word in general (not just here), but, objectively speaking, Hitler was a political genius and surrounded himself with very skilled people. One thing they used to do at his rallys was bring him on to speak at 8pm, it being believed at the time that this was the time of day at which people were most open to suggestion. A lot of the way he did things is still very much used in politics today (by which I mean how he used information to reach out to voters, not the specifically Nazi ideology!), though of course no-one will admit to that!

TidiousTed

Practically Family
jig.jpg

What ever else, the man was one hell of a dancer (propably taught Elvis a thing or two) It is easy to see where the inventor of Riverdance got his idea from

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Quite. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the Mail to accurately reflect what the book claims, so I'd reserve judgement until I actually see it. As to the core concept, it seems no more absurd to me than the guessing game over the identity of Jack the Ripper. I'd read it. I don't see any especial reason to believe the escape theory (which has been around for years, of course), but no reason to dismiss entirely the entertainment factor of a bit of "what if?".

I think Edward has put this rather well. I see no reason to get entirely steamed up by a book which has a premise which is really another "what if" offering. Whilst I think it is highly, highly unlikely that that little Austrian corporal escaped the bunker, the lack of any real physical or concrete evidence of his death there has meant that books such as this will always thrive.

On another entirely different and completely off topic vein and specifically a question for "LoveMyHats2"...I see that you are a member here at the Lounge for 2 months but have a post count of over 2,000 which by my reckoning means you post well over 30 times a day. Just curious how on earth you manage that, and how on earth you find the time to do so? Not necessarily giving you a hard time but I'm both flabbergasted how you do it and how on earth you don't run out of things to say posting so much per day.

You must be single. Personally my wife would kill me if I spent so much time on the internet everyday ;)

TidiousTed

Practically Family
One of the problems is that the Russians removed Hitler’s remains and Stalin kept them hid from the west for ages, possibly out of pure spite. The remains were buried, dug up again and reburied several times. This of course gave way to speculations as early as right after WWII was over.
I saw a program on National Geographics on this and since the x-rays from Hitler's dentist were found it was possible to state when the Russians finally released the remains that it was indeed Hitler. But conspiration theories can be spun out of anything so why not Der Führer.

I remember back in the early 1980s when Eva Braun's car was to be auctioned off and half the world press hid in the bushes because it was rumored that Eva would turn up, but there was no news scoop to be had that day.

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
I agree with those who say The mail is not be trusted; it's only a short step up from the yellow press, if indeed there's a step up at all.
There are those in the UK who nickname The (Daily) Mail, 'The Daily Hate' amongst other epithets.

It's a right-wing rag that seems to love stories about Hitler - there's a even a blog dedicated to how often The Mail mentions Hitler.
http://hitlerwatch.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
One of the problems is that the Russians removed Hitler’s remains and Stalin kept them hid from the west for ages, possibly out of pure spite. The remains were buried, dug up again and reburied several times. This of course gave way to speculations as early as right after WWII was over.
I saw a program on National Geographics on this and since the x-rays from Hitler's dentist were found it was possible to state when the Russians finally released the remains that it was indeed Hitler. But conspiration theories can be spun out of anything so why not Der Führer.

I remember back in the early 1980s when Eva Braun's car was to be auctioned off and half the world press hid in the bushes because it was rumored that Eva would turn up, but there was no news scoop to be had that day.

The problem Ted is that there is no concrete physical evidence which at the least is available to the world at large today which says that this is Hitler and yes he is dead. And for that reason unfortunately all these conspiracy theories exist and live on. Personally I believe that Hitler did die in the bunker but his remains were lost for whatever reason. The Soviets were always trying to put one up on the West and for that reason they faffed about with what they supposedly had or did not have.

Did Hitler bugger off to South America and swan around in a poncho like a gaucho? Highly bloody unlikely. He either topped himself or was bumped off in Berlin. Either way good riddance to very bad rubbish.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think Edward has put this rather well. I see no reason to get entirely steamed up by a book which has a premise which is really another "what if" offering. Whilst I think it is highly, highly unlikely that that little Austrian corporal escaped the bunker, the lack of any real physical or concrete evidence of his death there has meant that books such as this will always thrive.

On another entirely different and completely off topic vein and specifically a question for "LoveMyHats2"...I see that you are a member here at the Lounge for 2 months but have a post count of over 2,000 which by my reckoning means you post well over 30 times a day. Just curious how on earth you manage that, and how on earth you find the time to do so? Not necessarily giving you a hard time but I'm both flabbergasted how you do it and how on earth you don't run out of things to say posting so much per day.

You must be single. Personally my wife would kill me if I spent so much time on the internet everyday ;)

Hello! A few things....I own two businesses, and have a wonderful Wife that is normally right around me when I post. We have 2 PC units at home, one for business applications, one for doing things like being on the Lounge, six cell phones to keep in contact with the business end of things and I am very articulate about delegating what needs to be done daily to those that work for me. I have a great life, and love it!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I don't think you'll find any argument on the 'evil' front. Genius is an over-used word in general (not just here), but, objectively speaking, Hitler was a political genius and surrounded himself with very skilled people. One thing they used to do at his rallys was bring him on to speak at 8pm, it being believed at the time that this was the time of day at which people were most open to suggestion. A lot of the way he did things is still very much used in politics today (by which I mean how he used information to reach out to voters, not the specifically Nazi ideology!), though of course no-one will admit to that!

I think I merely use the label, genius, to apply towards the overall things that one small man did in a span of the years he did it in.. I tend to think if you look at what all he did do, although be it for the wrong and evil reasons that he did, what accomplishments he did was that of a genius level, look what affect it had on the world? Now had he used all that same level of drive that he had, to do good, and to do things for humanity, he may have gone down in the history books as one of the greatest men that lived in that time period. Thus, I think of him as an "evil genius".

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
At times, due to how some of the "hunted" Nazi's made their way into hiding in a variety of places, that it may be it "stimulated" some to think maybe Hitler some sort of way, made it out of Germany and to some other place to live to a old age.

This same sort of thinking has produced some rather debatable stories about other famous individuals, that had one demise on the record, but another in some "theory" that they lived on. It may make for some interesting reads, but hard to be proven by anything factual.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana