Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Diamond Dave Shinki Horsehide Buco J-100

technovox

One Too Many
So many times I've been close to pulling the trigger on a Diamond Dave Buco J-100. I’m not really the type to count stitches, and I’ve always been enamored of Shinki horsehide. So when Dave lowered his prices on the horsehide, it was a no brainer. Dave was extremely patient, always personally answered the phone within a few rings, and he turned this jacket around in just 3 weeks from start to finish.

After going through a few months and a couple of rains on the jacket, I feel it’s just beginning to take on that beautiful patina…good enough for a couple of pics. The grain is starting to pop, and it’s developing some super nice creasing. Nothing like a good winter soaking to give a jacket character!

As for the fit…I feel Dave nailed it . I asked for a bit shorter body than typical of the Bucos… similar to the 1959 Buco J-100 pattern. And I asked for the grainiest “tea core” Shinki horsehide Dave had in stock. I know nickel hardware is more traditional, but these days I’m liking the look of brass against a black hide. (And since I have plenty of other café racers with nickel hardware, I wanted this jacket to be a little different.)
Perhaps the best testament to how much I’m liking Dave’s work is that it has quickly become my “go to” jacket- it’s amazingly comfortable and my first choice when running out the door. And it’s an ideal weight for our Bay Area climate.
Here are the pics.

Attachments

• DDMain.jpg
    DDMain.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,607
  • DDBackCC.jpg
    DDBackCC.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,434
  • DDPocket.jpg
    DDPocket.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,128
  • DDshoulder.jpg
    DDshoulder.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • DDSide.jpg
    DDSide.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DDSleeve.jpg
    DDSleeve.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,197
  • FullFrontcc.jpg
    FullFrontcc.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • FullBackcc.jpg
    FullBackcc.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 1,127

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It appears you have done well with a great fitting J-100. PAWINEGUY here's hoping your upcoming DD J-100 looks and fits like this one. Fingers crossed for you!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Niiiice I hope Dave nails the fit on mine like he did with yours.

The Shinki has taken on a life of its own... Incredible!

dan_t

Practically Family
That's a lovely jacket & as you've mentioned, the fit is spot on!
The tea core has a brown under tone, yet this isn't really visible in your pictures. Is this starting to show through with wear?

technovox

One Too Many
That's a lovely jacket & as you've mentioned, the fit is spot on!
The tea core has a brown under tone, yet this isn't really visible in your pictures. Is this starting to show through with wear?

The brown hasn't started to come through yet. But it's really only been a few months of wear.

Yup, looks great. Just be careful on getting the Shinki too wet. I know that two of us had some shrinkage with the Shinki HH. I have to say, there's lots of hurrahs around here for things but the Shinki is that good and deserves it. I need to borrow a good camera to show the changes to mine. The way it's breaking in is fantastic, and just can't get with my crap iPhone 5.
Enjoy that!

mattp01

New in Town
Looks spectacular, both the leather and the jacket. I find my Shinki J100 is my go-to jacket as well, the weight and the cut are very versatile, especially in warmer climes.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think your build and proportion is just perfect for these CR style jackets to look effortlessly cool.
The jacket is looking great, and the brass would also evolve more than chrome once dulled in patina

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Dave seems to really be able to nail fits with amazing skill. Aside from some length issues, every DD J-100 I have seen I have fit pics of (including my own) has looked absolutely spot on in terms of fit!

The hide also looks absolutely incredible! Great jacket!

A-1

One Too Many
This is a beautiful jacket with a perfect fit! Congratulations!
I hope my DD J-21 is gonna be as great as this one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points