Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Eastman Leather Clothing "Escape" A-2

vox1

New in Town
If you're looking for a new one, I spoke to someone at ELC regarding these a little while ago. Apparently the current plan is to have a fresh production run sometime early next year, when the move to a bigger factory is complete. Just as well, time to start saving....
Yeah i contacted the owmer as well, I would still be happy to buy a used one from someone who has one, as i would probably still buy a new one as well.

Edward

Bartender
Why is the rank-stud on the underside of the collar? I mean, obviously, the original Hilts jacket must have had that, but what would have been the reason for it back then? Was this a common approach?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned several originals with rank insignia under the collar. Usually this is done when there are not painted or leather rank insignia on the epaulets to denote rank. Metal insignia on leather epaulets and parachute straps/seat harness were not a good combination so fixing rank insignia under the collar solved this issue.

Edward

Bartender
I have owned several originals with rank insignia under the collar. Usually this is done when there are not painted or leather rank insignia on the epaulets to denote rank. Metal insignia on leather epaulets and parachute straps/seat harness were not a good combination so fixing rank insignia under the collar solved this issue.

Ah! That makes sense, thanks. So likely they were original on the Hilts jacket, given that they're not really seen in the film; I presume if they'd been fixed to the jacket for costume purposes, they'd have a had a shot or two where they'd have been specifically displayed?

Technonut

Practically Family
In the film McQueen does show his captain bars under the collar at one stage.

Not shown well here, but this is the scene:

2013-03-22-02-55-16-pm-quote_zpsmcghmmck.jpg

EDIT: Here's one a bit better:

Hilts%20Bars_zpsyzllpx8m.jpg

Last edited:

Triplenet

New in Town
In the film McQueen does show his captain bars under the collar at one stage.
Yes, but I recall it was not the Jacket but the blue sweatshirt, I may have that wrong but I think I have it correct, as I recall it was after the spill into the barbed wire.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know if ELC will do these in custom sizes? I'm 6'4" and would probably need a long or extra long size 40.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Does anyone know if ELC will do these in custom sizes? I'm 6'4" and would probably need a long or extra long size 40.

Yes, the long or extra-long fittings add increased length (1" or 1.5") to both back and sleeve length, tough I must wonder if even the XL size would be long enough in a size 40 for someone of your height. If your height is mostly in your legs, you'll have a better chance of getting the fit you need. Also, before going forward on an order, you should really hammer home the precision that may be requisite in the additional length for you; I've seen the longer fittings not being all they should be too often, so you really must drive your needs home.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Thanks, guys! I'll definitely keep the XL size in mind and hopefully I'll be able to place an order soon. Does the longer "custom" size cost more?

HPA Rep

Vendor
Thanks, guys! I'll definitely keep the XL size in mind and hopefully I'll be able to place an order soon. Does the longer "custom" size cost more?

No, the cost is the same, but as a custom size, it is not returnable unless objectively faulty. That is the sticky part when ordering the longer sizes because, as I said, while theses sizes are indeed set to be longer as noted, if the regular fitting is coming in under spec. but within accepted margins of error, then adding length to something shorter than spec. could still prove not long enough. This is less of an issue on bigger sizes because these all increase in length as the sizes get larger, but a size 40 will be shorter from the start than, say, size 46.

You just need to be emphatic that the final realized length does indeed have a sum total that is equal to a size 40 that is within spec. and tolerances plus/minus not withstanding. Whether ELC will accept an order on that basis is a question ...

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
No, the cost is the same, but as a custom size, it is not returnable unless objectively faulty. That is the sticky part when ordering the longer sizes because, as I said, while theses sizes are indeed set to be longer as noted, if the regular fitting is coming in under spec. but within accepted margins of error, then adding length to something shorter than spec. could still prove not long enough. This is less of an issue on bigger sizes because these all increase in length as the sizes get larger, but a size 40 will be shorter from the start than, say, size 46.

You just need to be emphatic that the final realized length does indeed have a sum total that is equal to a size 40 that is within spec. and tolerances plus/minus not withstanding. Whether ELC will accept an order on that basis is a question ...

Seriously awesome info to receive. Thanks a million.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana