Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Gustin leather Café Racer jackets

technovox

One Too Many
I thought some in the FDL might find this interesting… a new line up of Gustin café racers made in California. A couple are produced with Horween leather. The black one is made with German steerhide, but at a lower price point. Not quite for me...but I find it interesting, and getting much better than their last leather jacket offerings. Any thoughts?

https://www.weargustin.com/store/6332

Gustin Cafe Horween.jpg

GustinCafe.jpg

I just saw the email as well! I like the natural CXL version quite a bit. The curved back hem is cool too. This certainly looks better than the L2. Looks to be thought out better. I have to say I'm a little tempted by that natural CXL. Full weight natural has my attention. I think I'd prefer it without the handwarmers tho. I dunno. $659 ain't half bad for a new CXL jacket. Sleeves on the model wearing it look too short. Might be tough to get the fit right.
IMG_7505.JPG

IMG_7506.JPG

barnabus

One Too Many
I got the email this afternoon as well, and also kind of liked the natural cxl.

Although in my case the rear bottom hemline narked me enough that I didn't even read down far enough to get to the price.

Other than that hemline though, it looks pretty flippin' good I think.

willyto

One Too Many
There's something not quite right about the Gustin... the cut? Not sure.
The problem is that everyone is trying to jump in the leather jacket train and there's too much knowledge behind designing a leather jacket that most brands do not have.

They seem to think that designing a leather jacket is a matter of changing some pockets and adding huge ass zippers and using the trendy Horween leather.

The function is often neglected.

technovox

One Too Many
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the full action back. And, based on their other jackets, I'm assuming the arms are probably going to be too short for me. But at least it's a step in the right direction with the Talon hardware, the taper, the seamless back, outer sleeve zips, and the Horween leather. And for a product made here in the US, it seems to be at an acceptable price point.

It's a tough nut to crack I suppose. Especially amongest this crowd. Had I seen this fifteen years ago I'd have probably thought it was the coolest thing on the planet. Once you dip your toe into the pool...it's hard not to see the shortcomings. I don't think this is a terrible jacket but yeah, it's not great either.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think this is a big improvement on the first two leather jackets from Gustin and I wonder why they didn't offer this one earlier.
That said, I agree with everything written above and particularly with the comments about the fit. It is hard to pin down exactly what makes a leather jacket "right", but it sure is easy to see when one is wrong...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
what's the reason for that inverted kidney panel?

I think the jacket body is a bit too long and the hand warmer pocket too low, and the sleeve too short.

but the most blame goes to the photographer and setting, really wearing a motorcycle jacket strolling down the beach on sunny day with no motorcycle, and no other living being in sight... maybe its just psychological, but you don't want to be that guy. the same jacket worn by a model leaning on his bike, or in a bar, or someplace else this jacket would be normally worn would make much more sense to the viewers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points