Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New guy pulling the trigger on an Aero Leather.

scout14j

New in Town
Hey,
I've been aware of this place for a while, but never posted. I've finally decided to go after an Aero. Think I have decided on a 1950's Flight Jacket. I work for an aviation company, so there will be some name tags and probably some paint (instead of embroidery) in the future.

I'm looking at the 1950's instead of the A2 for fit concerns. I'm a bigger guy with fairly big arms and chest, so the A2 doesn't seem like the best idea. Plus, I'm not concerned about historical accuracy. I think the one attached looks great.

Any ideas on who could paint it or other thoughts?

Thanks and take care.

Attachments

• jacket.jpg
    jacket.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 863

Peacoat

Bartender
I think you should be more concerned about getting a jacket that fits rather than who could paint it after you got it. If you are in the US, Wade and Carrie at Insurrection can help with the fit and almost guarantee a good fit. They are members here. There are others on the board who do artwork; maybe they will chime in.

BTW. welcome to the board

scout14j

New in Town
I think you should be more concerned about getting a jacket that fits rather than who could paint it after you got it. If you are in the US, Wade and Carrie at Insurrection can help with the fit and almost guarantee a good fit. They are members here. There are others on the board who do artwork; maybe they will chime in.

BTW. welcome to the board

Thanks for the welcome. I have been talking to Thurston Brothers (Carrie) about the jacket and fit. Decided to go with them instead of straight to Aero because of what I read here on how they help to find the right fit...and because their prices seem honest, as there doesn't appear to be a lot of mark up.

They have been very helpful and responsive.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for the welcome. I have been talking to Thurston Brothers about the jacket and fit. Decided to go with them instead of straight to Aero because of what I read here on how they help to find the right fit...and because their prices seem honest, as there doesn't appear to be a lot of mark up.
Very good decision. There used to be no mark up, but the business model may have changed. I doubt it is much of a mark up, if there is one. Perhaps some shipping charges?

scout14j

New in Town
Very good decision. There used to be no mark up, but the business model may have changed. I doubt it is much of a mark up, if there is one. Perhaps some shipping charges?
There are shipping charges, which I am sure I would get if I went with anyone else. If there is mark up, it's not a lot...and they have been on the ball with service.

BobJ

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge! Great looking jacket! I would be more prone to the Fifties Flight Jacket than an A-2, myself, for two reasons - One, the more comfortable fit, and Two, the handwarmer pockets - I use mine all the time.

Before you decide on which leather to get, you might want to talk with the person who will be doing your painting - I suspect that paint might not stick to leather with an oily or waxy finish, like chromexcel (cxl), or pull-up.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey,
I've been aware of this place for a while, but never posted. I've finally decided to go after an Aero. Think I have decided on a 1950's Flight Jacket. I work for an aviation company, so there will be some name tags and probably some paint (instead of embroidery) in the future.

I'm looking at the 1950's instead of the A2 for fit concerns. I'm a bigger guy with fairly big arms and chest, so the A2 doesn't seem like the best idea. Plus, I'm not concerned about historical accuracy. I think the one attached looks great.

Any ideas on who could paint it or other thoughts?

Thanks and take care.
You might want to take a look at the Happydays jacket. It's always seemed to me the quintessntial Fifties jacket; in fact, I remember a number of my father's friends during that era wearing a very similar style; very minimalist and utilitarian.

scout14j

New in Town
What I’m looking to do. I think the embroidery looks good, just concerned about what it will do to the leather.
DF53D3CF-A0BF-4CE2-A06A-5A4DDAD782CE.jpeg

seres

A-List Customer
What I’m looking to do. I think the embroidery looks good, just concerned about what it will do to the leather.

I would be very concerned with direct embroidery. Wouldn't it be better to embroider on a canvas patch, then sew the patch on, like the pictured name tag?

CBI

One Too Many
As someone who has painted a number of jackets, if you buy a nice Aero, don't paint it, at least for a while. The great majority of owners of painted leather jackets end up not wearing them that much! OF COURSE, there are many exceptions. Do what you want to and enjoy but consider a nylon jacket or used "second" leather jacket for the paint work. I actually painted that Sikorsky wing insignia for someone many years ago. 1000000% NO to the embroidery..........yucky! Aircraft logos painted directly on the jacket or painted leather patches would be the way to go. Again, 1,000000% just IMO

scout14j

New in Town
I received the jacket for fitting. The leather is amazing. I appreciate the suggestions. Honestly not sure what I am going to do. I like the fact that I can get a flight jacket that would have patches that ain't just a design to look cool, but an actual flight jacket... my flight jacket...don't know if that makes sense. -but- you kind of don't want to mess with something as nice as the jacket is.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I received the jacket for fitting. The leather is amazing. I appreciate the suggestions. Honestly not sure what I am going to do. I like the fact that I can get a flight jacket that would have patches that ain't just a design to look cool, but an actual flight jacket... my flight jacket...don't know if that makes sense. -but- you kind of don't want to mess with something as nice as the jacket is.
I understand exactly what you are saying regarding not messing with an expensive, high end jacket. To my way of thinking patches are used primarily while serving on active duty with a squadron, and even when I was on active duty, I decided not to add patches to my USN G-1 jacket but just leave it as was to retain the simple, understated look. Should you ever sell your jacket down the line, I suspect you would find patches would drastically devalue your selling price.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very good decision going with Carrie for a fit jacket. Can you provide pictures of your wearing what you just received? It would appear your choice is a 1950's Flight Jacket but think my own preference would be @tropicalbob suggestion of a Happy Days Jacket with its simple, understated look. All depends on whether you need the large cargo pockets to put stuff. Either way I would go with one (or two) inside pocket(s) without closure.

1914bd8914844d2a_1950s FJ  Cordovan hero 1 copy copy.jpg
20757557d49b30a2_happydays-800.jpg

triple-d

A-List Customer
Very good decision going with Carrie for a fit jacket. Can you provide pictures of your wearing what you just received? It would appear your choice is a 1950's Flight Jacket but think my own preference would be @tropicalbob suggestion of a Happy Days Jacket with its simple, understated look. All depends on whether you need the large cargo pockets to put stuff. Either way I would go with one (or two) inside pocket(s) without closure.

View attachment 107184
View attachment 107185
Fanch...I gotta say, I miss hand pockets when i'm wearing an A-2's...lol...good point.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch...I gotta say, I miss hand pockets when i'm wearing an A-2's...lol...good point.
If you look carefully at the pictures you will note both the 1950's Flight Jacket and Happy Days Jacket have handwarmer pockets, although the handwarmer pockets of the 1950's Flight Jacket are integrated with the large flap pockets. Inside pockets without closure in the leather facing inside the jacket would be worthwhile, especially for the Happy Days Jacket.
8C3383BF-A0AD-4590-BF5A-6C60125D7A0A-1167-000002B4D0395E10.jpg
Here is the inside pocket without closure that is moleskin lined on my Teamster. I wish I had ordered one on everyone of my jackets but didn't do so as Aero advises against it. You'll be OK as long as you don't pack too stuff in the inside pocket.

scout14j

New in Town
Here is the fit. Tried to rotate the pic, but didn't work for me.

Attachments

• jacket.jpg
    jacket.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 725
  • jacket.jpg
    jacket.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 710
Reactions: Dav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member