Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jacket....Aero Cossack

I have taken Jan Solo’s advice, a new thread with bigger pictures. So here is my new Aero Cossack.

I ordered the jacket in April of this year after spending many an evening reviewing the posts on this forum. I was very impressed with the jacket designs by Jan especially his goat Cheyenne jacket from Aero. I also liked a horse hide Californian that was done in a mid weight russet hide.

After getting some samples from Aero of the horse and goat hide I eventually decided on the seal goat hide with the lining from the M422a jacket (wine rayon) for the jacket which was between a 1930’s half belt and a Cossack.

I discussed my requirements with Amanda at Aero for my jacket and decided on the Cossack with a bi-swing back. I do quite a bit of driving and wanted a jacket that did not make my arms ache.

I am 6 feet tall with a 39 inch chest so Amanda recommended a size 38 with less turn over in the seams to make a 39. I also provided measurements of a suit jacket and other body measurements.

Final specifications as follows

• Aero Cossack with bi-swing back made from seal goat hide ( thickest available)
• 27” in length
• Cotton drill lining with full rayon (wine satin) overlay for ease of wear
• 2 G1 style pockets
• Hand warmer pockets lined with brown corduroy
• 1-2” leather facing on the inside of the bottom hem
• Aero antique brass zip
• Standard colour stitching

The rest was up to Aero and this is jacket that Julie made for me.

These are the photos of the jacket straight out of the box. I will take some soon wearing the jacket.

5023722149_6dcf733513_o.jpg

5023721913_a832ed228d_o.jpg

5024331182_e019a767a7_o.jpg

5023721395_fa263dc353_o.jpg

5024330734_9592ea6b95_o.jpg

5024330582_f55552b70b_o.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Jacket looks awesome. Why did they choose to use the cotton drill lining under the rayon, was that to improve the the durability of the rayon lining?

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey Quake,

Super jacket........looks like the goatskin is really rich, thick and strong.
Well done in all aspects.
Don't always follow JanSolo's lead and advice, for soon you'll have more jackets than hot dinners! (although you'll have some great jackets)

Regards, coffee

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Outstanding jacket, Quake. Jan has incredible taste and is such a resource.

Question: How did you decide between the 1930's Half Belt and the Cossack? For that matter, what are the main differences between the two models? At a glance I see the Cossack seems to be a less trim fit maybe?

Thanks,
H

Cossack or 1930's

Thank you for all the nice comments about my jacket.

You nailed it Holdencain the Cossack is not as trim as the 1930's half belt. I wanted to be able to have a few layers under the jacket as it can get quite cool here in Christchurch. Usually the 1930’s HB are longer at the front so with a 27" back length you end up 29" at the front...too long for the goat hides Aero had at the time.

Jan, I believed ordered his the same length front and back.

I went for a cotton inner lining for a few reasons, durability, and warmth and easy of wear with the rayon. I tried on a Real McCoy, which are made here in Christchurch with a wool lining and found it hard to take off. Rayon slips on and off nicely.

As for more jackets I think her in doors would have something to say about that! I got one chance and this is the jacket.

Regards

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Absolutely incredible jacket!!! Aero does it again. I totally love their half belt designs!!! Great choices in mods. and fun pictures too!!!

53Effie

A-List Customer
Wonderful jacket and superb fit as well Quake. Welcome to the forum and I hope you really enjoy that new jacket. Wear it in good health.

Mike

Papa M

A-List Customer
Quake said:
... the Cossack is not as trim as the 1930's half belt. I wanted to be able to have a few layers under the jacket as it can get quite cool here in Christchurch.

It also appears quite similar to the Aero goatskin Californian.

It looks great Quake and once you've broken it in it'll be even better.

That's received my nomination for the third best thing in New Zealand this week!

First was the bottle of wine I had last night, second is the new Live album from Fat Freddy's Drop!;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful!

That's a brilliant jacket in every way. Close to my ideal jacket. Are you able to weight it to give us an idea how if compares to HH?

Cooperson

One Too Many
That's a great fit - really looks the business! Would love to see it again when it's has had some wear - just interested to see how goat breaks in compared to horse. Enjoy!

Windward

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge - have to agree with the previous speakers:
Another Masterpiece made by AERO - great color and the mottling effect is just unique and fits you perfect! Enjoy it!

Dave E

One of the Regulars
That's a cracking jacket. One day I'll be getting myself an Aero, and some of the features you've specified have definitely made it onto my list!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto