Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Knitwear

Edward

Bartender
Having failed to find an appropriate thread, I thought I'd start a new one for gentlemen's knitwear. This is something to which I have given more than a little thought of late, due in part to the colder-than-usual-for-this-time-of-year snap we have been having in London, and also to my upcoming trip to Beijing, where I know it will be extremely cold!

This morning I braved the insanity of Oxford Street to make a couple of purchases. Firstly, this rather nice shawl-necked lambswool cardigan from Marks & Spencer, which I have been eyeing for a few weeks:

51IE8EYCYxL._SX182_SH35_.jpg

I also dropped into The Gap, not expecting to find anything of great interest, but intrigued by the '30% off all sweaters' signage in their window. I acquired one of these very nice cable knit cardigans for myself:

gp788840-00p01v01.jpg

The Gap also had a couple of extremely nice shawl cardigans (they seem to be 'in' this season), but alas none of those left in my size.

Last edited:

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Your M&S photo isn't showing for me, for some reason, but having had a quick look on their website I reckon I can see the one you've bought and it looks pretty good to me.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Hmmn.... not sure what happened there - should be fixed now. I've put up the general smaller image (I think the problem before was the magnifying facility on the larger photo, that usually complicates linking). Just a shame that's the only colour they do it in - I think it would look superb in a rich claret or burgundy hue.

ssfilez

New in Town
I love knitted clothes and the shawl-necked lambs wool cardigan that you have there looks quite eye-catching. However, I think that would look better with lighter shade of colors than with dark ones.

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Dehen 1920 out of Portland, Oregon makes absolutely amazing quality cardigans. They are not cheap but the quality is phenomenal.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
I think we should give a shout out to North Sea Clothing. I was chatting to Neil Start the ceo last week at the Popup Flea (that I was tempted to call you to invite you to, don't know why I didn't) and they are producing stuff which has been taken to the Arctic and to Everest http://www.northseaclothing.co.uk/index.html

I dropped in on the Pop Up Flea. North Sea's stuff looked and felt great. I was glad to see their collection is growing.

The Mister Freedon Cardigans look great. Only wish I had the money to get one.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Anyone ever considered approaching any of the knitting mills and getting a reproduction line started? Alot of the older ones probably still have the original pattern cards archived and there are enough catalouge scans floating around here for inspiration. I've often wondered about getting some samples made.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
This is promising to be a great and useful thread. Thanks for starting it, Edward. When it comes to modern sweaters, my biggest peeve / complaint is that (with some exceptions) they just aren't as hard wearing, durable, or warm as vintage ones. I'm sure that like me the rest of you are always on the lookout for vintage looking sweaters.

anyone bought one of the Mister Freedom campus cardigans ?

i'm not getting paid to advertise, just wondering if there's a review.

Me too! They look great and perfectly period in detail, but cost a pretty penny, which makes me hesitant to buy one without seeing it in person first. If anyone does have one, please do post a review.

Anyone ever considered approaching any of the knitting mills and getting a reproduction line started? Alot of the older ones probably still have the original pattern cards archived and there are enough catalouge scans floating around here for inspiration. I've often wondered about getting some samples made.

The folks behind Liberty Motor Wear did just that for their line of 30s/40s style motorcycle sweaters. They are made by a knitting mill that's made sweaters for ages and still uses original equipment. I own one and they are definitely the best reproduction of this style that I've seen in person. However, their selection is limited to just the one style.

IMG_1422.JPG

(image expropriated from the Warpath Leather Goods site)

I own one of these French nautical / sailor style sweaters by St. James. I bought it three years ago and it's held up quit well. Unfortunately, they seem to have started putting a label on the sleeve, although, that might be easily removed. I would definitely recommend them for their quality. Also, if you're on the slimmer side, they are cut very trim. I find with modern sweaters, they are often too baggy.

173-cancaleiiu-navy.jpg

I was inspired to buy one of these by Ron Perlman's costume in City of Lost Children:

city-of-lost-children-2.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Check out the Harley Davidson Museum online store. They're carrying some Dehen-made racing sweaters.

D

Deleted member 16736

I emailed Liberty Motorworks twice and there was no reply either time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto