Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while. I've been wearing brimmed hats since I was about 7. I tend to like old things- my many hobbies include reading, ogling classic cars, model kits, collecting old books, vinyl, ties, and now hats.

Yes, welcome to the FL. You're among friends here. I like old things too. I bought many of them when they were new, but they're old now (like I'm getting). :cool:

Silverstreak

New in Town
Thanks all. It's good to be here so far. Lots of fun and many interesting characters. The suit and tie threads are inspiring.

I neglected to mention that I'm an electrical engineer if anyone cares about that sort of thing. I don't wear ties to work (if I did I would hate it). I enjoy dressing well but I do so for my own enjoyment, the wedding invites etc are few these days.

I'm pushing 40 so I am a child of the 80s. When I was born my parents had two black and white TVs and a turntable, now we have tablets, smartphones and computers galore. I've seen cars go from carburetors and bench seats to digital self driving toasters on wheels. Yet I still appreciate simpler times which occurred before I did. It's nice to cherry pick, as the good old days were not always so good for many people. To say nothing of the lack of air conditioning.

Thanks all. It's good to be here so far. Lots of fun and many interesting characters. The suit and tie threads are inspiring.

I neglected to mention that I'm an electrical engineer if anyone cares about that sort of thing. I don't wear ties to work (if I did I would hate it). I enjoy dressing well but I do so for my own enjoyment, the wedding invites etc are few these days.

I'm pushing 40 so I am a child of the 80s. When I was born my parents had two black and white TVs and a turntable, now we have tablets, smartphones and computers galore. I've seen cars go from carburetors and bench seats to digital self driving toasters on wheels. Yet I still appreciate simpler times which occurred before I did. It's nice to cherry pick, as the good old days were not always so good for many people. To say nothing of the lack of air conditioning.
Welcome to the Lounge!
:D

Welcome. Older / better / simpler/ or not - it all gets very complicated when analyzed in detail - and your "cherry picking" comment is spot on - but on a surface level, growing up in the late '60s / '70s, we had a 1950s Buick that I could work on and accomplish a lot, the same goes for the cars of the '60s, but by the '70s, as technology and complexity increased, what I could do decreased and in the '80s - other than a few things that I could still figure out - it was off to the mechanics and the "diagnostic" machine.

There was something simpler about most of the technology then, and if not simpler, at least you could "open it up," take a look-see and maybe figure it out. Today, if reboot and a few other software efforts don't work - you're stuck staring at a slim piece of uselessness until you take it to somebody.

I have a bifurcated approach to the Golden Era. Be scrupulously honest in my historical analysis - no rose-colored glasses - understand the good, the bad, the ugly, but also allow myself to indulge in daydreams occasionally - wouldn't it be nice to have a quiet front porch to sit on / how great would it be to not have news and social media blasting at you twenty-four hours a day / doesn't everyone look nice in their suits and ties - it doesn't have to be true to the past, just a fun harmless reverie, a break for your mind from the real world.

Caretaker Six

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

I am head caretaker of an 1890's era steel ship and would like to dress for events to play the part, but I don't really know where to start as I gather there is a plethora of history just involved with fashion. It's a Navy ship, but at this point I don't feel completely comfortable in a uniform.

I enjoy English countryside styles, mid-19th century formal suits (there is an awesome green outfit that Gilderoy Lockhart wears in the Harry Potter Movies, but I don't know that era of fashion), and craftsman/woodworkier/engineer styles.

I'm looking for ideas for hats and clothing if anyone has ideas on where to send me that would be great!

Thanks!

Caretaker Six

New in Town
Gilderoy.jpg

Amante

New in Town
Hola all; I want to say hello to everyone and let you know that I am so happy that this forum exists. I love wearing hats. I own several cowboy/Ranger hats, Stetsons, Resistol, mainly, 3 fedora, Borsalino, Stetson, Dunbar and a Fez. Straw and Palm cowboy hats.
I want to learn more about Fedoras. I am in So. Texas

N.K.

New in Town
Hi there. This forum sure is a great find to me, I just had to sign up.
I came across this place while researching '20s fashion, as I'm currently drawing and writing a comic about said time period (at least, I try to..!) I've been a fan of vintage fashion for a while now; What started with 80s jeans and 70s sweaters, is now slowly turning into even older clothing and accessories (haha!)

It seems like a nice opportunity to get in contact with people who have the same interests, and I'm looking forward to a good conversation.

five6seven8

New in Town
Hello everyone :)

It took me a couple of weeks to think up a username, but I've signed up since I think my eccentricity has finally found its spiritual home in the 1940s. I'm a clothes and costume nut fast developing an obsession with all things 40s, and I love making my own vintage style outfits as well as rescuing and reviving vintage items now and then. I've just taken up lindyhop too, and among my first 40s sewing projects will be some wide-leg trousers to dance in!

Hello everyone :)

It took me a couple of weeks to think up a username, but I've signed up since I think my eccentricity has finally found its spiritual home in the 1940s. I'm a clothes and costume nut fast developing an obsession with all things 40s, and I love making my own vintage style outfits as well as rescuing and reviving vintage items now and then. I've just taken up lindyhop too, and among my first 40s sewing projects will be some wide-leg trousers to dance in!

Welcome to the Lounge! Thank you for joining the family.
Enjoy your stay.
:D

bsman

New in Town
Whoops! Posted this to the wrong forum!

Hey folks -- I've known about this forum for a while, and finally decided to join. I'm sort of a hat junkie -- have been since I was a kid. given that both of my grandfathers were bald early (and my mom has twin brothers who went bald at 19!) I always anticipated that I would be requiring hats all the time. Fast forward - and here I am at 58 with a full head of hair! Nonetheless, my love of hats endures. In terms of things that would be of interest to the folks here, I have:
  • Old (probably 50s or 60s) Stetson "Gun Club" pork pie fur felt in loden green (I wore that to a recent "Specials" concert in San Francisco and fit right in with the rude boys!)
  • Early 1990s Fender Temple in grey (this was my first true Fedora, purchased in New Orleans at Meyer the Hatter while I was there for a meeting).
  • Akubra traveller (my "go-to" hat for bad weather, casual or travel). I recently packed this one in my suitcase for a three-week trip to NYC, England and Iceland and it was perfect.
  • Akubra Snowy River in black -- I rarely wear this, because....well.... it's a cowboy hat.
  • Akubra Banjo Paterson -- I got this and the following from the wife of a friend who passed away a couple of years ago, and it fits me like a glove. Probably the best of my hats
  • Akubra Sydney in brown -- again, a lovely hat, but the color doesn't work with most of my business wardrobe.
In addition, I have several fabric hats for the warmer months to wear while hiking, etc. Anyway -- I look forward to reading and contributing to posts here. This is the first apparel-related group I've joined -- my forte is normally guitar- and soccer-related groups.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
Hello, cats. Long-time lurker, first time poster. By day, I'm just another office drone. By night, I am into vintage living, retro revivalism, and the like. I like to read UltraSwank and listen to Cocktail Nation.

My preferred era when it comes to music, movies, style, home decor, etc. is later fifties to early sixties. But for jitterbugging I will incorporate earlier influences into my look. Anyhoo, I am looking forward to many fruitful discussions in the days ahead.

JohnSarge

New in Town
Hi all, newly registered to the site and new to the world of fashionable hats. Been reading this site for quite a while and thinking of taking the plunge on a new hat. hope to have great conversations on this site.

John

simon norris

New in Town
Just a quick hello to you all...My name is Simon, an artist living in Calgary , Alberta ( Canada ). I'm a leathersmith , tooling leather products and sending them all over the place. I graduated from the art college here in '96 with a BFA , and have always made a living ( read survived ! lol ) creating art somehow. I have lots of hats ( though non of geat quality...yet ) , both brimmed and non-brimmed. ..and as you can see from my avatar..I enjoy a set of chin whiskers ! I've been lucky enough to take the tour through Smithbilt Hats..which is only a couple of miles away..love the old equipment there. Anyway ..I've blabbed on long enough ! Cheers

mart61

New in Town
Hi there one and all. The name's Martin and I just joined The Lounge.

Travelling as I do, occasionally in hot climes, I just bought myself a Pachacuti Llano weave fedora as shown in my avatar.

Truth be told it's not my first hat - I have a Jabaroo and an Akubra back home but I've not worn either of them for a while.

Look forward to reading and contributing to the forum.

Just a quick hello to you all...My name is Simon,
Simon, welcome to the forum! I haven't had the time to be around much these past few days but I wanted to extend a warm welcome after reading your posts. I hope you will enjoy your time here. Besides myself other members of the Brethren of the Long Beards include Bob Hufford, Lefty, Moon & Inge. I'll look forward to your pictures & posts.

antiquedoll

New in Town
Hello!
I am new here yet not. I used to be a member years ago. I collect vintage and antique lingerie, shoes and clothing. I am also a antique doll collector. I am assistant designer at NJ Sekela Historic Clothiers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points