Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

colleency

One of the Regulars
I didn't get to the gala this year. We ended up dressing up 40s and going out to the 94th aerosquadron (which I would NOT recommend).

I did watch the parade of lovely people and dresses going by though. There were some gorgeous dresses in that era!

Snookie

Practically Family
Hello everyone! I just started posting, so I thought I should head over and say an official hello. I've been looking at this site on-and-off for a few months, and Matt Decker encouraged me to officially come on-line. (And he gave me one of those nifty matchbooks!)

My name is Beth, and I'm a lindy-hopper here in Los Angeles. It seems like my fiance and I are one of the few couples who dress up every time we go out anymore. Isn't that funny? We feel out of place wearing 40's clothing when we go swing dancing? But I'm glad to find more like-minded people out there. I generally make my own repro-vintage from vintage patterns, mostly because I like to sew, but also because I like to wear new clothing and not worry about putting stress on the clothes while dancing.

Last year I began a Master's program in costuming, but I switched schools recently to FIDM because I wanted to learn more patternmaking, and I'm really enjoying the program. Fashion design seems to be popular around here!

Snookie

Practically Family
I haven't been to Star Wars yet, even though I walk past it all the time. I want to go with some friends but haven't coordinated that yet. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I'm a big costume fan, so I'm excited about going!

Have you seen the exhibit? Or any of their past costume shows?

colleency

One of the Regulars
I always go to their oscar exhibit.

For Star Wars, I helped set up the XWing on display in the courtyard, and I've been at three costumed events for it. We're supposed to do at least two more. (DH is a huge Star Wars fan, and they call him to organize fan help.)

I'm organizing a trip (not in costume) with a group of 10-12 people on Sunday, November 6 if you want people to go with. We're going into Chinatown for dim sum first. And I might run to my favorite garment district shop before that.

Even so, definitely make time to go see it. Even for non-Star Wars fans, the costumes, especially the Amidala costumes are fantastic. The work put into them by Trisha Biggar, Ivo Covney and their crew is amazing.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hey, another FIDM girl! That's where I graduated from! I go to the Oscar exhibit every year as well, and I want to go very much to the Star Wars exhibit. I'm going to need to get my butt up to the garment district soon, so that will give me a reason to pop in.

Many welcomes to the Lounge! Great to have you here!

magneto

Practically Family
I just started posting here (after several weeks of eagerly absorbing the amazing collective knowledge of this swell group) so just wanted to introduce myself! I am in Northern California, a poor student and do a little admin work for a design company (all modern stuff alas). I do try to wear a vintage/retro outfit daily (mostly sporty college-girl tweed skirts, oxfords and cardigans) and never leave the house without a hat (or a rainy-day nice vintage headscarf) ...I have developed a recent love of paper ephemera (like the 1941 Christmas calendar from my local merchant's asssociation I just hung up in the kitchen). :) I look forward to contributing!

Lauren

Welcome! I absolutely LOVE your avitar! What a lovely idea to wear a hat nearly everyday! I'd love to see pics of your look if you get the chance :)

Paper ephemera and magazines are some of my favorite things to run across as well. I especailly love the old bridge cards from the 20's and 30's (though I can't seem to remember where I put mine...) and also an ever growing stack of 10's-40's magazines. I'm so glad you found your way here!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
So there's a Star Wars exhibit in LA right now? Where abouts?
Since y'all are on the topic, here's a pic I had taken 2 weeks ago:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/Star Wars/CarrieFisher_Holly_01copy.jpg

And to add some vintage in there (ie. the fedora):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/Star Wars/CarrieFisher_Holly_03.jpg

colleency,
Since you're in LA, you should come to the Queen Mary Summit Nov. 11-13. I sent ya a PM regarding Star Wars as well.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4073

colleency

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
colleency,
Since you're in LA, you should come to the Queen Mary Summit Nov. 11-13. I sent ya a PM regarding Star Wars as well.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4073

I really want to go, but we're putting on a show on Thanksgiving weekend, and all my weekends up until then are extremely full with rehearsals (and a quick trip to FIDM this weekend). I'm one of the producers, so I can't just sneak out. sigh.

16_sparrows

Vendor
One more to throw into the pile

I've been a member for a few weeks and didn't have time to introduce myself until now. I found the lounge through a 1930's livejournal community and am so happy I did!

My favorite eras are the 30's and 40's, but I am just begining to start my collection of clothing. My obsession with the eras of the past started more with ephemera and detective magazines (I'm a sucker for a good old fashion murder mystery). It then started to grow to the movies to which I began to oggle the fashion. So there is the circle that brings me here.

I'm in Chicago and would love to know of events and places where I can be with like-minded people. The only places I know of as of now is the Green Mill Lounge and The Music Box Theatre.

Everyone's posts have been very informative and interesting. Thanks for letting me a be a part of it!

cherrybombrandy

New in Town
a quick intro

Just wanted to say hi to everyone! I found this place quite by accident when trying to find a good source (besides the fabulous ebay) for vintage and vintage repro patterns. Its taking a while, but I'm slowly going through all the threads and catching up. So glad I found you gals!

Lauren

Hello, Ladies ! Great to have you join us!

16_sparrows, what livejournal community is it? I haven't posted in so long, but I do have a livejournal. I love the vintage hair group!

cherrybombrandy, Horray! Another vintage pattern entusiast! Do you sew your own repros, too? I'd love to see pics, if you do!

Glad to have you with us, and I look forward to getting to know you both better. Sounds like you found the right place ;)

cherrybombrandy

New in Town
I wish I could sew! My friend Stace is teaching me (slowly), but for right now I'm just trying to collect some so that when I can sew, I'll be ready! I'm having a little trouble, though (I'm larger than your average gal). But I'm still going at it. I'll post a few pics as soon as I finish my first piece.

ChorusGirl

Familiar Face
Adding my Hello

Hi Ladies!

I will (sheepishly) admit that I am not a new member, but as I have just started posting again after joining last year, I might as well be! (Alas! Life got in the way! I have my own little business & sometimes it demands too much of my attention...!) For those who don't know/remember me, my name is Addi- I am one of the roommates of your illustrious Bartender, Lauren. I've been into vintage everything for many years now, but only since I've roomed at Lauren's house has my collection really taken off (it really helps to have a "partner in crime", so to speak!). I'm really thankful to her for so much of what I've learned about vintage fashion, hairstyles, movies, etc... I can actually date items to some degree now! (Me: That blouse looks rather 30's. Lauren: That's because it is!). Anywho, I am going to go to the Queen Mary summit this year, so I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in person! And to all y'all who won't be there- Hi! It's nice meeting you online! Hopefully I can keep up with the forum bit better this time around...

Cheers!

Addi :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko