Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Lost Worlds Offering: Speed Demon

Edward

Bartender
Interesting. The blurb is exhausting but the jacket looks nice. I wonder which model it apes, specifically... my first "Brando" had the same centre seam in the back. Clearly not a Perfecto. Hide sounds nice. Be interesting to see it after a few years' wear.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stu's prose and sociological attempts just keep getting more and more interesting. I'm not sure if I follow him, though: the degeneracy of the culture can be traced through the degeneracy of the design and production, paralleled by a similar intellectual degeneracy of which the punks were the ultimate manifestation. Right? And I thought everybody got them at the used-clothing shops.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"for men, not social mediasts"

"Not fashion -- bedrock Americana"

"A vintage riding gem idealized by LOST WORLDS, not as some wannabe poseur paper fashion tracing, rather to recreate by perfection the SPEED DEMON before the cartoonish imitations and dumbing-down."

"Beyond cool"

"Everything else -- the beauty, cojones, presence -- is gravy, and what gravy!"

"Seems contrary to the whole concept in a v. dentatis kind of way. Ouch."

"Why go to these extremes for a motorcycle jacket? Because we can."

Good-Grief.gif

big-head.jpg

Big+Ego+1.png

pak

One of the Regulars
So heavy you need a motorcycle to carry it. He doesn't say 'it will never shrink':)

Interesting. The blurb is exhausting but the jacket looks nice. I wonder which model it apes, specifically... my first "Brando" had the same centre seam in the back. Clearly not a Perfecto. Hide sounds nice. Be interesting to see it after a few years' wear.

It's a great looking rig, to be certain, but for upward of a grand I'm surprised to see it have the seam up the back. I remember way back when, the ones from Sears had the seam, and they also were the cheapest.

IXL

One Too Many
I have read quite a few posts on this forum indicating that anything other than a one-piece back is a definite sign of an inferior jacket and materials. And, here we have a seam ripping right down the middle, on a brand many hold up as "the" brand.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I love the jacket. Two piece back or not. And I'm pretty sure Stu fully expects the reader to note the ridiculousness of his ramblings. That IS the humor he's trying to get across. It's a poke at himself-I think. However, I remember a sentence or two that definitely crossed the line of good taste that were downright offensive.

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
Quite funny that he lauds the invented Brando character in Rebel (invented by a highly cynical Hollywood studio system, no less) over the punks, who were actual people doing real things - at least at the beginning. Oh, well...

'Awful knockoffs' which look exactly like this Speed Demon jacket, all the way to the belt buckle. I'm sure 156 oz is beyond cool and very manly, but no thank you. For this design, I'm sticking with Schott.

Plumbline

One Too Many
You can knock Stu's website, his sense of humour ( or not) and also some of his jackets are to a very different taste ... but the quality is second to none ( Ive had a few) and my oh my can he make a substantial jacket.

I have a Suburban coming from the USA ( it's been in Houston for several months at my sisters) ... it's one of the earlier ones before he went with the black and gold logo label ..... seriously thick and like the jacket a Highwayman wants to be when it grows up.

A lost Worlds B-2 in a 42" is still one of my "A list" jackets which I will own one day .... they truely have to be seen in the flesh to be appreciated :)

Regarding split backs .... I'm not a huge fan but have never seen a decent split back ( Furygan, Scott, Alpinstars etc. ) split open in an accident and I'm not sure it's an issue of quality on a jacket of this std. I think the historic commentary was aimed more at MAL jackets after all elaborately stitched backs are bang on trend ( have a look at the various 1930's repros out there)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk