Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Welcome,you have a couple of very nice hats.
You do,however,realize this is an addiction?;)

The first step is admitting it... :D

When I think about it, I've had the hat addiction for quite some time. It's taken a sharp Silver Belly to put it into focus though. I've got or had at least 5 Jonathan Richards or Hanna Irish caps- they are great for keeping warm and looking good especially if it's windy. I've got a wool Irish "walking cap" that doesn't quite suit my age yet (and probably won't for a few decades). Maybe I should venture over to the FedoraFest link; I have a good handful of hats that are barely worn.

In addition to my shantung Stetson, I've had a few straw Fedoras and not-quite-cowboy straw hats. But in general, I'm really settling in to the Western hats for daily wear. They are functional and bring a certain "attitude" to the party. I've also had a handful of felt hats like my Stetson Bozeman crushable wool felt. They are hard to beat for hats that provide western style and utility and there's no need to worry about them getting beat up; plus you can wear them in the car.

I don't have a Stetson addiction per se, as I intended to buy a Resistol this week. But after trying various hats on it just seems Stetsons generally fit me better. Of course, as I discover that I "need" another hat, I'll probably venture into other brands as well.

Addiction indeed... and what a great one to have!

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Yes, the endorphins released by felt hat use can cause severe addiction in many. All the attempts I have seen to have meetings addressing the addiction just result in more hat trading and purchases. Search posts for "Fedorafest III" to see what I'm talking about.
My addiction runs 2 to 1 in favor of western hats. You will find many here who have multiple felt addictions like I.
Thank you- I'll check out the Fedorafest III.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure where else in the forums to post this so I'll give it a try here.

I bought the 6X Stetson because I wanted some capability in the snow and rain- I'm more concerned about its performance in the rain. How does 6X hold up to a moderate downpour? I know the higher the X the "better" but will 6X Beaver be okay for wearing in the rain (not sustained, hanging out in the middle of a pasture or driving cattle during a thunderstorm). Or am I better off getting one of those plastic covers for my Western hat? What's the best rain cover for a Western hat?

RJR

I'm not sure where else in the forums to post this so I'll give it a try here.

I bought the 6X Stetson because I wanted some capability in the snow and rain- I'm more concerned about its performance in the rain. How does 6X hold up to a moderate downpour? I know the higher the X the "better" but will 6X Beaver be okay for wearing in the rain (not sustained, hanging out in the middle of a pasture or driving cattle during a thunderstorm). Or am I better off getting one of those plastic covers for my Western hat? What's the best rain cover for a Western hat?
Way over simplified answer is that a "good" fur felt hat should be fine in rain or snow.The issue is that there isn't and never was a "standard" for what the Xs mean.Thus one makers 6X may be a great 100% beaver felt while another's might be pretty shoddy.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Way over simplified answer is that a "good" fur felt hat should be fine in rain or snow.The issue is that there isn't and never was a "standard" for what the Xs mean.Thus one makers 6X may be a great 100% beaver felt while another's might be pretty shoddy.
Thanks RJR- I'd read that about the different companies having different standards for their "X-factor." I'm sure it also comes down to how one wants their hat to look/hold up. If I want to wear it in the rain and keep it nice, I'll probably get one of those plastic hat covers. They look pretty inexpensive and easy enough to carry around as needed.

Welcome and condolences. I know about expensive hobbies, just ask my wife. You are going to have a great ride my friend. Joao will be your "spirit animal" here.
In terms of hobbies or "addictions.....pick your nomenclature.......hat collecting sits towards the bottom in terms of expense. I used to golf which cost the price of a decent hat each week. Then I switched to mountain biking and ended up with 28 bikes in the garage. I quit golfing, thinned the bike fleet to a dozen. When she scratched her head about my fleet of bikes my reply...."relax they could be vintage autos!" My wife is now thrilled as hats take up way less room, and in comparison is a "cheap" hobby.

In terms of hobbies or "addictions.....pick your nomenclature.......hat collecting sits towards the bottom in terms of expense. I used to golf which cost the price of a decent hat each week. Then I switched to mountain biking and ended up with 28 bikes in the garage. I quit golfing, thinned the bike fleet to a dozen. When she scratched her head about my fleet of bikes my reply...."relax they could be vintage autos!" My wife is now thrilled as hats take up way less room, and in comparison is a "cheap" hobby.
Although she still does not understand and finds it all still "head scratching."

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thanks RJR- I'd read that about the different companies having different standards for their "X-factor." I'm sure it also comes down to how one wants their hat to look/hold up. If I want to wear it in the rain and keep it nice, I'll probably get one of those plastic hat covers. They look pretty inexpensive and easy enough to carry around as needed.
If you are going to be out in the rain, the plastic rain hat cover is ideal.

RJR

;)

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I received my Stetson Skyline in black today. I'd decided that my Skyline Silver Belly would suffice but after the black version climbed atop my head, I'm powerless to return it. They both fit perfectly and both look great. I already rationalized that daily temperature differentials and radiating sunlight necessitated both colors, plus the black will be more "utility" as it won't get dirty as easily.

The key word is rationalized. This can get out of hand quickly! :D

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I received my Stetson Skyline in black today. I'd decided that my Skyline Silver Belly would suffice but after the black version climbed atop my head, I'm powerless to return it. They both fit perfectly and both look great. I already rationalized that daily temperature differentials and radiating sunlight necessitated both colors, plus the black will be more "utility" as it won't get dirty as easily.

The key word is rationalized. This can get out of hand quickly! :D
Buy some hat brushes if you don't already have some...one for the black hats and one for lighter colored hats. Brush you hats often....also a few hat sponges. You can clean a hat up with use of both of these. The sponge helps "absorb" dirt and some staining. You can just wash the sponge out with some soap and water when it gets dirty, squeeze it out and rinse it a few times to get all the soap out of it, let it dry when it looks clean and use it again.

If the hat bug has bitten you, at some point in time you may have 40 or 50 hats, some true vintage hats that you scoured the listings on eBay or Etsy or the Goodwill sites, and some from a custom hatter....and you will look back at how things were so easy and simple like there are now...hahaha! You really know how bad it gets when you start buying clothing items to simply match a hat you own...(or plan to buy). A few years later you can realize you are "hat-a-zoid" and you have so many hats and other things connected to your attire, you need to move into a larger home, something over 5,000 square foot just for the "necessary" storage room, closets, etc.....when it gets past that point, well, haha, you'll admit that you can never have enough hats.....and even if you don't drink...a belt of Scotch will come in handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points