Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Orleans 1920s

I know we have in other threads these long discussions on if people dressed better in the GE and they end up breaking down each word, thought, premise, etc.: what does "better," mean, who are the "people," "in my community no one wore a...." We discuss ties and open collars, work clothes and "Sunday" clothes, that there weren't as many "sports" or "casual" clothes and on and on. Someone will produce a picture of men sitting around in their t-shirts or women in overalls in the '40s or '30s or whenever in the GE.

I've learned a lot form those thread and discussions. I realize that the style of dress did vary much, much more than I thought. I realize that different communities, cultures, regions, ethnic groups, etc. had different standards. I get all that and I have no personal vested interest in proving that things were "better" back in whenever.

That said, when I do see clips like this, I can't help thinking - yes, there were exceptions, as noted above, and yes any agglomerating statement about a country the size on the US will be wildly oversimplifying - but it still looks to me like those people hopping on and off the trolly, shopping, walking around town dress better than people do today - than people did when I was in New Orleans ten-plus years ago - and they don't look like the uber rich or elites as I doubt those people were riding the trolly back then.

Let me emphasize, I don't care, if I'm wrong, I'll freely admit it, and I'm not trying to prove the world was better (I don't know that it was) back then, but I do think in some overall / oversimplified way, people dressed better then than now.

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I suspect that you are correct in all that you say. I was raised in the city and know many of the locations shown in the film. From the time of the Lafittes to today, these were not enclaves of the rich or famous, but areas where all mingle almost at random. On the other hand, it is an area where even the locals (who are not immediate residents of the French Quarter) are enjoying an outing and might upgrade their look to some degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana