Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Product: ATF N-1

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
At The Front has just introduced this jacket. It's their version of the USN N-1...and through tomorrow, it's their "Deal of the Day". Loving deck jackets as I do, I couldn't resist. I immediately pulled the trigger. The lining is synthetic, but the shell is jungle cloth...and I have no doubt the jacket is warm and well made. I'll let you know.

IMG_2721.JPG
IMG_2720.JPG

AF

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm a sucker for deck jackets as well. Do you know if the lining is Acrylic or Polyester? Acrylic is the warmest man made material and Polyester is second. Both would be a good choice in this jacket.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Peacoat...I'm not sure what material is used in the lining. They just say it's "artificial" and isn't alpaca like the originals. This from the site.

"Reproduction of the iconic WWII Navy N1 Deck Jacket. Like all of our uniforms, we started with several authentic examples from the War, in a range of sizes to create the pattern, materials, and colors. The shell is made from a tough corduroy ribbed cotton, (called "jungle cloth" by the Navy), and inside the body, sleeves and collar is a warm artificial pile fur lining. Tubular knit internal cuffs keep the heat in, and a drawcord at them hem allows the bottom to be closed.

All of these jackets are "sterile"- meaning no "U.S.N." stencil on the chest. Most originals have it, but a few did not.

Overall these look as nice as the much more expensive reproductions, the only major difference being the lining. It's physically lighter in weight than that used in high end (and original) jackets- but it kept the price down- and looks & works great."

AF

CBI

One Too Many
yep - purchased immediately, posted the sale in the Buy/Sell section, a great buy for $99. 1/6th the price of a BR N-1. Lining is acrylic like their B-10's. if you look at the side by side pic with an original on their site, looks super and I think with some wear, the acrylic collar will look fine.

I have owned two original N-1's and currently own a Buzz Rickson. Will be fun to compare.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi Peacoat...I'm not sure what material is used in the lining. They just say it's "artificial" and isn't alpaca like the originals. This from the site.

"Reproduction of the iconic WWII Navy N1 Deck Jacket. Like all of our uniforms, we started with several authentic examples from the War, in a range of sizes to create the pattern, materials, and colors. The shell is made from a tough corduroy ribbed cotton, (called "jungle cloth" by the Navy), and inside the body, sleeves and collar is a warm artificial pile fur lining. Tubular knit internal cuffs keep the heat in, and a drawcord at them hem allows the bottom to be closed.

All of these jackets are "sterile"- meaning no "U.S.N." stencil on the chest. Most originals have it, but a few did not.

Overall these look as nice as the much more expensive reproductions, the only major difference being the lining. It's physically lighter in weight than that used in high end (and original) jackets- but it kept the price down- and looks & works great."

AF
Interestingly, neither of my deck jackets has the stencil.

Use of the word sterile brings to mind special ops missions I used to fly in a land far away and a time long ago. All of the operatives were sterilized, both before and after the missions. The aircrew were not sterilized. I guess the CIA figured we were immune from getting shot down. I never felt that way; fortunately, it never happened. Been a long time since I thought of using that term in that particular context. Funny how certain words trigger memories long since forgotten.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I always respect the way the proprietor of this company mentions and discusses the (inevitable) compromises he makes in his products.

I think he knows his market very well. I'm guessing it's mostly reenactors who need accurate but affordable kit with which to pursue their hobby. And...to a lesser degree...folks like me who prefer originals and are generally unwilling to pay nose bleed prices for high-end reproductions.

AF

CBI

One Too Many
the sale on these N-1's for $99 has been extended seeing as they have now mostly sold out.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My new ATF N-1 arrived yesterday. I can't say how "accurate" of a reproduction the jacket is, because I've never owned or worn an original N-1. But I can tell you that it's a well made, high quality jacket that looks very much like originals I've seen in period photos. And it certainly is worth its $99.00 price tag.

Like my other ATF jackets, it isn't skimpy. I ordered a size XL but I probably could have fit into a size large, especially if I was trying for the elusive "military fit". For reference, this jacket is just a bit larger than a size XL, Vietnam-era, A-2 deck jacket. It's also about the same size as a 1960s, size XL, M-65.

And it's warm. Way too warm to wear in 90 degree heat while my girlfriend fiddled with the camera.

IMG_1754.JPG

AF

CBI

One Too Many
I love mine, can't wait to be able to wear it in another ....................................... 4 months!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points