Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New (Vintage) Bicycles?

cneil

Familiar Face
The Last of the Great American Bikes

By the standards of the Fedora Lounge, No. But I ride quite often a Vintage Bicycle.

It is hard to find part for, when I call the bike shop, they say, just put new items, they work better or buy a new bike.
Then I take it in, they see it. “WoW!, We will find the correct parts”.

It is a 1985 Swinn Passage. A Long Frame Touring Bike.
27” x 1-1/4” tiers at 125 LB.
18 Speeds by Shamono.
Die-Comp Brakes.
Columbus Tubing Steel Frame
Avocet Seat.
Blackburn Rear Rack.
Road Gear Rear Pannaler Saddle Bags.
Kangaroo Rack Bag.
3 Specialized Bike water Bottles.

It was the bike that Swinn built when it woke up one day and realized that they where no longer the Primer bicycle maker in the World and this was their attempt to compete.
A World Class bike with the best parts from around the world.
Desined and Built in America.

I have put about 2,000 miles on it in the last 3 years.

I use to owen a 1980 Columbian 12 Speed Touring Bike and a 1974 Swinn 10 Speed, but they unfortuntly where destroyed in a Fier.

Just for fun. I would like to have a Penny Farthing Bicycle ( You know, the one with the really big wheel in fron and the really little one in back, Circa 1890's)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
cneil said:
Just for fun. I would like to have a Penny Farthing Bicycle ( You know, the one with the really big wheel in fron and the really little one in back, Circa 1890's)

Those things are apparently really dangerous. My dad tried riding one of those once, and even though it was out on farm with no traffic he ended up wrecking it and cutting himself all up.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
skillbilly said:
Park street is on the other side of the Island from the tube. I'm pretty sure that, Alameda Cycle is done with old bikes. They'll fix'em, but their oldest bike is a Dyno and the rest is now mid to high end road/mountain bikes.
In their defense, they are a nice bunch there: http://www.alamedabicycle.com/

It's been awhile since I've been in there and some of the other folks must have moved on already...sucks.

Salv

One Too Many
cneil said:
By the standards of the Fedora Lounge, No. But I ride quite often a Vintage Bicycle.

It is hard to find part for, when I call the bike shop, they say, just put new items, they work better or buy a new bike.

It is a 1985 Swinn Passage. A Long Frame Touring Bike.
27” x 1-1/4” tiers at 125 LB.
18 Speeds by Shamono.
Die-Comp Brakes.
Columbus Tubing Steel Frame
Avocet Seat.
Blackburn Rear Rack.
Road Gear Rear Pannaler Saddle Bags.
Kangaroo Rack Bag.
3 Specialized Bike water Bottles.

It was the bike that Swinn built when it woke up one day and realized that they where no longer the Primer bicycle maker in the World and this was their attempt to compete.
A World Class bike with the best parts from around the world.
Desined and Built in America.

I have put about 2,000 miles on it in the last 3 years.

I use to owen a 1980 Columbian 12 Speed Touring Bike and a 1974 Swinn 10 Speed, but they unfortuntly where destroyed in a Fier.

Were Scwhinn ever the premier bicycle maker in the world? They were virtually unknown outside the US until 10 years ago, and then only known for fat-tyred cruisers and kids bikes. In a world that was producing Raleigh, Bianchi, Colnago and Peugeot bikes Schwinn was quite a way down the pecking order. I found some pictures of a 1986 Passage tourer and it looks like a decent bike, but I wouldn't say it was using the best parts avaialable at the time. It's built up from Columbus Tenax tubing; Columbus at the time were producing three sets of tubes - SP, SL and SLX with SP being the cheapest and heaviest - and Tenax was a version of SP without the final factory finish. The best tubing for touring bikes in 1985 was Reynolds 531ST, although some UK frame builders were experimenting with Reynolds 753 for touring frames. 753 had been introduced in 1975 and was lighter and stiffer than anything else on the market at the time, but its ultra-thin walls required a lower brazing temperature and Reynolds restricted sales to frame builders who had been trained to work with it.

The Shimano components were functional but Shimano were offering far better equipment, and even these were no match for Campagnolo.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
check the hub for a date

Bargepole said:
... I had no idea these old bikes were so interesting. Come to Cambridge and you could steal them by the dozen:eek: ... but hands off mine: I don't know how old it is but it's older than me and will outlive me: a green Raleigh, badly repainted, with a wicker basket for books and a dynamo lamp for wondering why the bloody thing isn't working. It's just my bike. Or was. Now, of course, it's an Authentic Memento of the Golden Age, and I won't dare ride it any more...

Bargepole: Dollars to donuts the hub is a Sturmey Archer. One way to get an idea of dating your bike is to go by the date on the hub. Rub your finger down there and check out the date that emerges from the grease. From the looks of your dynamo lights and pedals, they are newer than the rest of the bike. Definitely newer than the saddle, which looks original. Is the trigger shifter all metal or does it have clear plastic on it? Is there a hole that you can view the gear number through? What kind of brake and shifter cable does it have? If you think they are original, these can all add up to giving you a good guess of the age. Somewhere on the frame should be a serial number, but I don't recall exactly where on a Raleigh frame it would be. Try looking hear the seat post. The tyres look like they are 26", but with the full chain case maybe they are 28". Nice bike!

ledsled

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Anyone else ride a vintage bike on a regular basis?

bike2.jpg

Lizzie from Maine

I have a few old bikes and enjoy riding them around. I live 12 dangerous miles from work (dangerous because of the careless traffic). They have been working on a "rails to trails" converting a railroad into a greenway. I keep fantasizing that I'll live long enough to see it completed and then ride to work using that route.

One of my bikes is my Schwinn Collegiate from my youth. I think it is very similar to your Schwinn Hollywood. I often see Hollywood and Collegiates on the local campus. While walking downtown, I much prefer seeing an old bike than a new one.

The most flashy bike I have is a Shelby Airflow from 1952 or 1953. It has a springer front fork that old timers called "Jimmy Durante" because the spring fork was so HUGE. It's a very heavy bike. So heavy that it could easily be converted into a motorbike. Between the balloon tires, the spring seat, and the spring fork, I can jump curbs and hardly feel them! Scary. It's rather like riding around in an old Cadillac with bad shock absorbers.

Every old bike is interesting, and I enjoy knowing about the previous owner's life. I guess that's why I get excited seeing an older bike rather than a new retro one. I have to admit that the new retro ones are relatively inexpensive, and ready to go.... no hunting for old parts, etc. My preference is to live with the rust, grease, and imperfections.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like hearing about your vintage and vintage inspired bicycles. I have a Bianchi Cafe Racer, I think they now call it the "Milano", that I bought 5 years ago. It's vintage inspired. And yes, it is seafoam green with a cherry red seat and red tires. The seat has built in lights, that have three different settings. What could be cuter than a girl with a blinking butt! I got a lot of giggles riding it, I've even had people sing the wicked witch theme song while I was riding by. But, I don't care, it's such a fun bike. Haven't been able to ride it for a while. Can't wait to take it for a spin, as soon as my back and hips can handle it.

cneil

Familiar Face
Swinn was a Premer bike maker in the same way Chevy is a Premer car maker

Salv said:
Were Scwhinn ever the premier bicycle maker in the world? They were virtually unknown outside the US until 10 years ago, and then only known for fat-tyred cruisers and kids bikes. In a world that was producing Raleigh, Bianchi, Colnago and Peugeot bikes Schwinn was quite a way down the pecking order. I found some pictures of a 1986 Passage tourer and it looks like a decent bike, but I wouldn't say it was using the best parts avaialable at the time. It's built up from Columbus Tenax tubing; Columbus at the time were producing three sets of tubes - SP, SL and SLX with SP being the cheapest and heaviest - and Tenax was a version of SP without the final factory finish. The best tubing for touring bikes in 1985 was Reynolds 531ST, although some UK frame builders were experimenting with Reynolds 753 for touring frames. 753 had been introduced in 1975 and was lighter and stiffer than anything else on the market at the time, but its ultra-thin walls required a lower brazing temperature and Reynolds restricted sales to frame builders who had been trained to work with it.

The Shimano components were functional but Shimano were offering far better equipment, and even these were no match for Campagnolo.

All you sai is correct.

It Swinn nevr built a bike that competed with Bannaci or Champlogo.

By Premere I ment Like Ford or Chevy are know and respected arounfd the world for building a Good Religble Cars.

Lots of numbers and resonble quality.

Swinn's Hey days whe from the 1940 to the 1970's.

By the 1980's Swinn's where seen as Sub standerd design and quality.
A Name Brand in the U.S., but no longer respected Like they once where. And there Sales numbers and profut margens showed it.

People where not willing to shell out the exctra money for a swinn, when for about the same money one could buy a much better bike from Europe or Japan.

This was the change Swinn was fighting in the 1980's.
The where no longer respected or had the folloing they once had.

They wanted there old volume of sales back, and more inportant there old profit margen, and to do that it was belived they would have to inbrace the new componets and developments which had come out.

They have now droped all that and relige on building cheaper bikes and a lot of nostagia.

cneil

Familiar Face
Penny Farthing.

Vladimir Berkov said:
Those things are apparently really dangerous. My dad tried riding one of those once, and even though it was out on farm with no traffic he ended up wrecking it and cutting himself all up.

They are dangerous.
The one person I know who ownes one has not riden it for years, and when he did it was rarely.

On good surface and a slower speeds, they are fine.
It is at the higher speed or on roghf surfaces where the problums lie.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I'm a bit of a late-comer to this thread, but I thought I'd share photos of my bikes!

First, my "daily driver" :) It's not vintage, but it does look the part. I bought it several years ago at a sporting goods store. I really dig those whitewalls and fenders! It's called a Mercury, but I don't think that company is around anymore. These days when I ride around, it's usually with a "chariot" attached to the back for the little guy. lol

100_1517.jpg

This one is really vintage, but I don't ride it much. It's not as comfortable as the other bike, but I love the "tail fin" on the chain guard. It also has it's original Sears tires, so I don't want to get too far out and have a flat!

100_1516.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mine isn't vintage, but it has carried me a couple thousand miles.
It's several years older than this but the same model. I replaced the seat with something more bun friendly.
Cypress_ST_blue%20copy.jpg

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
When I was a kid, I used to an old bike that was in my grandparents barn. Still in very good, working condition. It's vintage heaven at my grandparents. They never threw anything away. They built 2 barns the size of most ranch homes just to hold their stuff. Everything from WWII rifles that haven't been to used, to old tools from the 50's, to Lord knows what else.. Last count, my grandfather had a collection of pocketwatches totalling more than 300. He died a few days before my 29th birthday, which was this past April. I'd love to obtain a copy of the list of pocketwatches to post on this forum!

ledsled

One of the Regulars
space age! my goodness....

This one is really vintage, but I don't ride it much. It's not as comfortable as the other bike, but I love the "tail fin" on the chain guard. It also has it's original Sears tires, so I don't want to get too far out and have a flat!

100_1516.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Love the frame on this bike! It goes along with the great space race, me thinks. I think Sears had an upscale midweight model called Spaceliner that used the same frame, but used some extra-fancy rocket tanks and headlights. Other than that, this is probably the same bike.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
upright ride

Daisy Buchanan said:
What could be cuter than a girl with a blinking butt! I got a lot of giggles riding it, I've even had people sing the wicked witch theme song while I was riding by. But, I don't care, it's such a fun bike. Haven't been able to ride it for a while. Can't wait to take it for a spin, as soon as my back and hips can handle it.

Sorry Daisy, but it's hard for me to move beyond your blinking butt scenario! lol

OK, I'll try to act mature (impossible to do some days).

About your back and hips being uncomfortable, I have had the same problem (my back, not my hips). For this reason, I started looking at bikes that were comfortable for ME. I listened to my body rather than some experts, salespeople, or consumer's reports. While I have several different vintage bikes, I find the most comfortable ride for me is an older bicycle with 28" tires. Typically, the riding position is upright and my back is not strained at all. I can also hide my expanding waistline better. lol Oh, there I go again.

For your hips, I wonder if the seat is really the right one for you? Even though the seat may have ample padding, it might not be the right shape. I've got one car that is comfortable to sit in, but when I get out after driving for several hours, my hips are killing me. The only conclusion I can come to is that the seat somehow puts a subtle pressure on my hip joints. I never notice it until I get out and try to stand up.

You might consider getting a longer handlebar stem (and perhaps different handlebars). The objective being to bring your back in an upright position. Also check around for seats. Try not to LOOK at the seats, as your visual image might interfere with what really feels comfortable to you.

My most comfortable ride is an old black Dutch bike. It's a simple single speed coaster brake hub and the tires are 28", which make for a comfortable ride. Another bike that has the same comfortable upright position is a large British roadster. It has a full chain cover, 3 speeds, and a hifty rod brake system. This bike is heavy, though, so it takes a bit of effort to bring it up to speed.... and just as much effort to stop it!

Good luck with your back and maybe you'll find a good vintage ride sometime that will offer a more upright comfortable position.... or perhaps you can customize your bike to make it a better fit for you.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
try oldroads

cneil said:

cneil: I haven't visited this website in a couple years, but if it still exists, you will LOVE it. You may also find good contacts for buying parts.

Try: www.oldroads.com

Schwinn used to have a forum, but they had to close it for a while because of some jerks posting stupid stuff. You might check them out and see if the forum is back up and running again. They'll probably require some kind of registration in order to pull the plug on trouble before it takes over.

There must be bike swap meets in Bakersfield area. We have them here in New England. Once you get linked into some vintage bike websites, you'll probably find a few swap meets to go to. They are fun and you'll make good connections for parts and such.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ledsled said:
Daisy Buchanan said:
What could be cuter than a girl with a blinking butt! I got a lot of giggles riding it, I've even had people sing the wicked witch theme song while I was riding by. But, I don't care, it's such a fun bike. Haven't been able to ride it for a while. Can't wait to take it for a spin, as soon as my back and hips can handle it.

Sorry Daisy, but it's hard for me to move beyond your blinking butt scenario! lol

OK, I'll try to act mature (impossible to do some days).

About your back and hips being uncomfortable, I have had the same problem (my back, not my hips). For this reason, I started looking at bikes that were comfortable for ME. I listened to my body rather than some experts, salespeople, or consumer's reports. While I have several different vintage bikes, I find the most comfortable ride for me is an older bicycle with 28" tires. Typically, the riding position is upright and my back is not strained at all. I can also hide my expanding waistline better. lol Oh, there I go again.

For your hips, I wonder if the seat is really the right one for you? Even though the seat may have ample padding, it might not be the right shape. I've got one car that is comfortable to sit in, but when I get out after driving for several hours, my hips are killing me. The only conclusion I can come to is that the seat somehow puts a subtle pressure on my hip joints. I never notice it until I get out and try to stand up.

You might consider getting a longer handlebar stem (and perhaps different handlebars). The objective being to bring your back in an upright position. Also check around for seats. Try not to LOOK at the seats, as your visual image might interfere with what really feels comfortable to you.

My most comfortable ride is an old black Dutch bike. It's a simple single speed coaster brake hub and the tires are 28", which make for a comfortable ride. Another bike that has the same comfortable upright position is a large British roadster. It has a full chain cover, 3 speeds, and a hifty rod brake system. This bike is heavy, though, so it takes a bit of effort to bring it up to speed.... and just as much effort to stop it!

Good luck with your back and maybe you'll find a good vintage ride sometime that will offer a more upright comfortable position.... or perhaps you can customize your bike to make it a better fit for you.

Thank you so much for all of the info, LedSled. I do ride upright, and it has made a huge difference in back and hip pain. Unfortunately I have pretty advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis in my back and hips, so the pain will always be there. I have tried many different bikes and seats, and I find the Bianchi to be the most comfortable. It really is a great bike, I wish I could ride it more. It has really good support, and no rattle on the city's very bumpy pot hole infested streets. The only thing I wish is that when I bought the bike they had made it in the smaller size. I've been to the store, and they now make it in the smaller version, but when I bought mine five years ago, they only had two size options and for some reason they only had the male version of the bike. But, I still love it, funny looks and comments and all.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I will definitely keep them in mind. All this talk about bikes is making me want to go for a bike ride!

ledsled

One of the Regulars
step-through frames

So sorry to hear you have arthritis, Daisy. The last thing you probably need are unsolicited suggestions! After having said that, here's another unsolicited suggestion! :p

When you are feeling up to it, and when you have the storage room, hit the tag sales! "Girls" bikes, AKA "step through" frames are being thrown out all the time. Many collectors buy them for parts and throw the rest of the bike out. I don't have the heart to do that. You could find a real sweet old vintage ride for about $20 or so.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
another website for CNEIL

Hey CNEIL, this guy's in your backyard. I just thought about him this morning. Visit his website and maybe connect with him. If anything's happening with vintage Schwinn bikes in California, Mark will know about it!

http://www.bunchobikes.com/

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I used to ride an old Schwinn

Now I'm trying fix up an old Raleigh Sport bicycle. It has the original John Bull brakes that have hardened and need to be replaced and has one original tyre which has cracked and needs to be replaced.
I was given a newer bike with toe clips and all sorts of things I don't understand/don't like. The simpler the machine the better off I am.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Adam_H

New in Town
I had to bump this up.

Electra bikes have issued this dream machine:

Note the leather(ette) saddle and hand grips, the tire-generated headlight, and the vintage style detailing on the chain guard and the coat-tail guard.

_ElectraAmsterdamClassicGr.JPG

Also available in ladies' step-through frame:

08amroyal8ladies.jpg

Comes in some cool bright colors and other styles too. Not cheap, but cool.

http://www.electrabike.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk