Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newsboy Hat Questions

Pat_H

A-List Customer
This is probably an irritatingly simple question for folks here, but here goes anyway.

I had two Newboy caps made by Pendleton. One was a nice blue wool one, with a leather brim, and the other tweed. The blue one was my favorite, and of course I lost it in the Portland airport. I wore the tweed one out.

I can't ever quite seem to find one that's right to replace them, and it seems Pendleton doesn't make them anymore. The Pendleton size was large, but that never seems to equate with a size of any other maker. I wear a 7 1/4 in a brimmed (cowboy) hat, but wear them realtively tight, given as I live in the high wind zone.

Can anyone recommend a replacement cap? All my efforts to date have resulted in hats too big, or too small.

Also, is there a good shop in Denver that anyone knows of that sells this sort of thing?

BigSho

Vendor
I am a big fan of city sport newsboy caps. They have a real great fit, and the styling has a nice vintage style to it. I am sure if you google is they will come up.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

TopHatCat

New in Town
SHARPETOYS said:
Custom made by B! Wear Cap Co. Brett is a great guy to deal with and he makes the cap to your head size.....

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

I can second that, a little while ago I asked about newsboy caps as well and ended up talking to Brett. He's a very accommodating guy and if you have some particular details in mind he can probably make it happen.

The hat I received was well-made and draped perfectly on my head.

The only caveat is that he makes his hats with extra fabric on top so that you can wear them in a couple different ways so if you're looking for a fairly flat newsboy cap, you might want to go in another direction.

44forrest

New in Town
Being bald, I feel neked wihout a hat once I step outside. When I landed in San Francisco, my western hats became a nuisance, I was always chasing them down the street. Even my fedora was a liability. Then I stumbled on a cap maker, elerdy Mexican artisan, on Mission street out in the high 30's. I don't speak Spanish, ( a thing I regret frequently) and his English was very limited but he kept bringout bolts of cloth and I made hand gestures as to how fat I wanted the crown to be. I picked out a fine brown heringbone material and he sewed me a newsboy that I wore daily for the next four years. This was back in 82. I still have it though the brim material under the fabric has split and there is some small holes in the wool. But the bill crease and holes give it a certain personality. I still wear it on very windy days. I wonder if that shop is still there? I hope so. Wandering upon a shop like that with a Gentleman at the helm gives one hope.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I have four B!Wear caps so far, and they get plenty of use.

I ordered a Jonathan Richard newsboy from Bencraft yesterday - so we'll see how that compares.

Joel

BigSho

Vendor
Jonathan Richards makes a very nice cap the construction and materials they use are superb. When they come to the store to do our order my friend patti always has them make me up something special in an 8 1/8. The only downside is I have to wait 5 - 6 months for it.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
SHARPETOYS said:
Custom made by B! Wear Cap Co. Brett is a great guy to deal with and he makes the cap to your head size.....

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

Thanks for the recommendation here. I finally ordered one of these and, at last, I have found a good Newsboy that fits perfectly. Indeed, it fits better than the old Pendleton I was trying to find a replacement for.

I like it so much I'm going to order a couple more shortly.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Newsboy caps

I went to Bencraft yesterday, much fun, and got a nice Stetson, and then started looking at newsboy caps. I got a nice grey tweed Donegal, made in Ireland. Very nice, soft, comfortable. Mygirlfriend looked me in each hat and said "That's the most becoming hat I've ever seen you wear". She said this about both hats. Me very happy, but very annoyed that nobody's complemented me on them so far (other than her). The NOIVE!

Feraud

Bartender
Based on Lounge recommendation I ordered my first cap from B!Wear Cap Co.. I have two caps but one is a bit small and I wanted something different from the gray tweed I always wear. The pictures on the site look really good and am hoping my new hat displays the same profile. I ordered the #10 brown herringbone.
Pics to follow!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Decided to resurrect this thread rather than go off topic on the "Bowler from the bottom of the sea" thread. I'm wearing the the newsboy caps I got at BCF last year for nine bucks a piece and I actually get compliments on them. (My mother called them Andy Capp hats, but I don't mind her well intentioned reference) I'll post shots later, if I'm in the mood to do so. They have black linen liners, and sweatbands and are only sized S-M-L, but they stretch a bit and the to "M" hats I have fit my 7 3/8 head very well. Another plus is the vintage look. The newsboys are good for cold weather, too. I'm thinking I'd like to go for one of the better built B'Wear caps, which makes me curious about the materials and construction of them. Another thing I'm wondering is about hot/warm weather wear. The two caps I have woulod be way too warm for summer. I'd imagine there's lightweight material caps available.

dean

Feraud

Bartender
deanglen said:
Another thing I'm wondering is about hot/warm weather wear. The two caps I have woulod be way too warm for summer. I'd imagine there's lightweight material caps available.

dean

There are lighter weight material available for caps. I used to have a linen cap that was great for summer wear and recently purchased a very thin wool cream colored cap. It is surprisingly comfortable considering the material.

I think B!Wear carries linen caps.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
If you go to the B!Wear cap site, you will find a number of selections in linen. You can also send material to Brett and he will make a cap from that.

His lining is silk, his cap bands are leather, same as many old vintage caps. You can't find leather cap bands anymore.

I have a good half-dozen B!Wear caps. I wear the wool in cooler months, but not summer, the linen in three seasons, but not winter.

I do have some Kangol caps and other makes, but do not look as good or fit me as well as B!Wear. They are so well made and the prices for the quality can't be beat.

karol

Pat_H

A-List Customer
deanglen said:
Decided to ressurect this thread rather than go off topic on the "Bowler from the bottom of the sea" thread. I'm wearing the the newsboy caps I got at BCF last year for nine bucks a piece and I actually get compliments on them. (My mother called them Andy Capp hats, but I don't mind her well intentioned reference) I'll post shots later, if I'm in the mood to do so. They have black linen liners, and sweatbands and are only sized S-M-L, but they stretch a bit and the to "M" hats I have fit my 7 3/8 head very well. Another plus is the vintage look. The only "baseball" style caps I'd wear are my miliary caps, or Cooperstown caps, if I ever buy one, modified to resemble the hats F-86 Sabre pilots wore circa 1950. The newsboys are good for cold weather, too. I'm thinking I'd like to go for one of the better built B'Wear caps, which makes me curious about the materials and construction of them. Another thing I'm wondering is about hot/warm weather wear. The two caps I have woulod be way too warm for summer. I'd imagine there's lightweight material caps available.

dean

I gave up wearing ball caps years ago, and have only recently gone back to wearing a few of them. Two were gifts, and one is one I got at a 4H event of my sons.

I'm not sure why, but they seem to have improved in looks somehow over the years. I really disliked the ball caps that were popular some 20 years ago, but the new ones have a bit different shape, and a longer brim. I like them. The three I have, one company cap from a friends overseas company, the 4H cap, and a NY Yankees ball cap, are all pretty good looking and I do wear them fairly frequently.

My favorite Newsboy hat by far was a wool Pendleton with a leather brim. I really miss it, and wish they'd make them again. I wore out a Pendleton herringbone cap, which was also a nice one. I have a B!Wear cap I wear a lot now. It's wool fabric is a little heavier than the old Pendleton, so I wear it now mostly in the Fall and Winter, now that I've gone back to wearing ball caps. It's fine for cool weather, although for really arctic weather I wouldn't wear it. I wouldn't wear this one in really hot weather either. It's a really well made cap, with a soft wool fabric, and a leather sweatband. It's the only Newsboy I've ever had with a leather sweatband. I settled on it with a bunch of unsuccessful post Pendleton newsboys, and I'm glad to have it. At one time I used to wear Kangol wool driving caps, and I've completely given up on them in favor of Newsboys, and this is the only Newsboy I'm regularly wearing now.

I do have a Hanna hats tweed Newsboy, but it's a bit too large. The wool fabric on it is very heavy, so it really can't be worn in the summer. I wish I'd ordered it one size smaller.

Newsboys are really hard to find here, so I have to go through the mail to order them. So far, only the B!Wear hat has worked out for me that way, and it's a very nice cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff