Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nomex Flyer jacket

kowalski

Practically Family
;)

Attachments

• Trump-on-Carrier-APSaul-Loeb-640x480.jpg
    Trump-on-Carrier-APSaul-Loeb-640x480.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,990
  • 920x920.jpg
    920x920.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,834

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
re-posting a comment from Treetopflyer:

Treetopflyer said:
My old shiny Nomex ripped and I was given one of the new Nomex jackets to replace it. I am not a fan of it. It feels and looks like canvas.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Got 2 of these. A Valley CWU-36P, and an Alpha CWU-45P. Both brand new, both nomex. They both fit like a glove! Almost like they were made for me. Very typical B-15 type of fit.

View attachment 69027
That's great, glad you like them. I really like nomex jackets, better than nylon to me, and up here in Canada you never see nomex. I think Valley made the best quality ones, based on the various brands I've seen. It's hard to say why exactly, but when you've got a bunch lying there on the bed, the Valley ones just have a certain extra something, just fewer flaws maybe.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's great, glad you like them. I really like nomex jackets, better than nylon to me, and up here in Canada you never see nomex. I think Valley made the best quality ones, based on the various brands I've seen. It's hard to say why exactly, but when you've got a bunch lying there on the bed, the Valley ones just have a certain extra something, just fewer flaws maybe.

Are you lying on the bed too. Feeling them? :)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Are you lying on the bed too. Feeling them? :)
Better than leather.

kowalski

Practically Family
Hello

I have Valley 45cwu sand and 36p Isratex, sewing quality differences are small, invisible
It is possible That the differences appear after Time, sometimes with the passage of time i think

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Would be interesting to have an FL Lounge vote on that one :)

N.B

I've got a friend who wears a Rubber Suit sometimes....is that normal?????

Show us your nylons. We all know there are a few with a certain fetish...for leather, I mean.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
He is a RAF Air commodore with the NATO E3 component based in Germany. RAF flying US aircraft types wear US flight clothing. But definitely a custom job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
So, I've been thinking about getting a nomex jacket for wearing at, err, BBQs and stuff. Some of you guys own/have owned a lot of nomex between you. I've got a couple of questions, I'd be much obliged if anyone can answer.

Did USAF/USN/USMC aircrew get issued the same versions of the CWU-36/p & 45/p?

When was the change to the design that eliminated the bi-swing back?

When was the change to the type of nomex, from the softer shiney type to the thicker stiffer type?

What was the largest issue size?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
So, I've been thinking about getting a nomex jacket for wearing at, err, BBQs and stuff. Some of you guys own/have owned a lot of nomex between you. I've got a couple of questions, I'd be much obliged if anyone can answer.
I was working on an informal "buyers guide" to these jackets which I will be happy to send if I can figure out how/where to upload it. It's not complete but it's got a lot of info in it for people new to the jackets.
Did USAF/USN/USMC aircrew get issued the same versions of the CWU-36/p & 45/p?
Everyone got the same version. No variations existed at the same time, by which I mean the jackets have evolved over time, but no variations were made for different branches of service, etc.
When was the change to the design that eliminated the bi-swing back?
1981 for the 36P jackets, not sure about 45P but probably the same date. Previously the maintenance manual said you could sew down the bi-swing back, which implies it was snagging, which might be why it was eliminated (also, these jackets fit well across the shoulders so the bi-swing was redundant).
When was the change to the type of nomex, from the softer shiney type to the thicker stiffer type?
That was quite recent, like the last 2 or 3 years, as far as I can tell. There have actually been three versions of the cloth: the first was 1970s and early 1980s, the second from then until the recent change.
What was the largest issue size?
Originally the largest size was XL.Sometime in the 1990s (I think) they introduced XXL.These are "regular" length only but with the modification to the design in the late 80s or early 90s (again, working from memory) they made them a bit longer in the torso and sleeves. But that being said, deviations exist in all years as these were mass-produced garments. I've got a 1979 45P in newish condition which fits like a 1990s version, but I've got a 1978 45P which fits really short.

These are great jackets for kicking around. The 45P is not as heavy or wind-resistant as the wool insulated MA-1 jackets, but the nomex jackets are washable in a washing machine at home, which is a huge advantage. The fit is better for tall and thicker men. And on a personal note I think they look better than the old nylon jackets. Some manufacturers are better than others, it seems, and I consider newish Valley and Alpha jackets to be the best. Valley had the contract up until recently so there will be lots of 90s and 00s Valley jackets around. I realize everyone wets their panties about the 70s bi-swing ones, but construction quality was a bit hit or miss and although the shell is nicer you will have to struggle to find one in good shape. There are some weak spots for stitching to be aware of.

I'll try to host that guide I wrote (or send me an email address via the forum message and I'll send it to you). Having bought about 15 of these and kept about 10, I recommend waiting to buy until you've had a chance to educate yourself a bit.

EDIT: I should add that I think that the 36P jackets are beautiful garments. Because they aren't insulated they drape nicely, and they're light but warm. The lining is a marvelous pique-knit nomex which looks and feels great. They're much nicer than the 45P jacket, in my opinion.

Last edited:

bn1966

I've had a lot of Nomex go through my hands (best avoid the Disco Gold/Tan version IMHO).

Sizing wise though I've found lots of nylon XL Flight wear too snug, most of the XL CWU Nomex jackets were a good fit.

Only one left now which is an early 45P Bi-Swing version in the softer material..lovely jackets.

I had an early one with the sewn down bi-swing that was near mint, moved it on due to preferring the above jacket.

I'm on the look out for a civilian Alpha USA 45P in nylon, obtained one for a friend & loved the cut, fit & nylon.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I've had a lot of Nomex go through my hands (best avoid the Disco Gold/Tan version IMHO).

Sizing wise though I've found lots of nylon XL Flight wear too snug, most of the XL CWU Nomex jackets were a good fit.

Only one left now which is an early 45P Bi-Swing version in the softer material..lovely jackets.

I had an early one with the sewn down bi-swing that was near mint, moved it on due to preferring the above jacket.

I'm on the look out for a civilian Alpha USA 45P in nylon, obtained one for a friend & loved the cut, fit & nylon.
The fact that you and I, who are much different body types, can both fit into CWU jackets demonstrates how forgiving the design is.

bn1966

Suprisingly forgiving Doc & I find the earlier ones extremely comfortable to wear.

Had an early 36 with the bi-swing too but the zipper (sat proud) & collar shape (too rounded) weren't to my taste so that got moved.

Had a nice grey civvy Alpha version (Korean) that got stolen at work.

Noted aircrew at Duxford sporting CWU's when I visited last year.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Doctor Damage, you are an absolute gentleman, I can't thank you enough! I thank you profusely for kindly giving such extensive answers to my questions! That's great! You've really made the CWU thing much clearer to me.
And I would love to read your guide, it sounds highly informative. Should I PM you an email address?

I wasn't interested in nomex before, but last weekend my wife and I went to a winter BBQ event that her friend was holding. Her friend's father was there, and he is a former JASDF pilot. He was wearing a nomex jacket, and I was wearing my B-3, and we were checking out each other's jackets so I went over and had a bourbon with him. He used to fly F-4s in the late 80's early 90's, and there was lots I wanted to ask him, but I didn't want to be 'that foreign national asking questions about sensitive national security matters', so we just talked about stuff in general.
But after I got home, I kept thinking about nomex jackets.
Thank you DD!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21