Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob question, what is a snap brim

Wolf

New in Town
I've seen them mentioned here, can someone tell me what a snap brim is, why is it different then any other brim?

Thanks in advance

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
A snap brim is a brim that isn't specifically styled. It is stored "up" all the way around (curved gently upward, not flat), and to wear the brim down in front or back, it can be "snapped" down by hand. Then, you snap it back up when you put it away. Most fedoras I've seen have snap brims. Western Hats don't.

Does that help?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is like a "salute"

A "snap" brim is when the doorman at that fancy resturant sees your nice lid and snaps his fingers in appreciation.;)

A "snap brim" is when you can, well, snap it down in front, like Bogie or Cagney.
When not worn or in the box, it is up all the way around. Hence, the "snap" brim.

Wolf

New in Town
Thanks, that helps, that is why all my recently aquired fedora are like that, I assumed they needed reshaped, having only had experience with western hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21