Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Norfolk Jacket

some Americans call practically any jacket with a belted back and patch pockets a 'Norfolk style' but for me a jacket really needs the vertical straps either on front , back or both to qualify as a Norfolk, and preferably an all-around belt too.

Thank you for your reply and your observation.. I will keep my eyes open for an all-around belt.
Regards.

CCJ

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Excellent jacket, Micheal. The proportions are great. The back is particularly nifty, since the action back looks better, to my eye, than the usual Norfolk back, which is basically two strips of cloth sewn down. Very interesting.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Excellent jacket, Micheal. The proportions are great. The back is particularly nifty, since the action back looks better, to my eye, than the usual Norfolk back, which is basically two strips of cloth sewn down. Very interesting.
Yes, I really like the way this jacket fits and looks. And the way you can move in it. I have at least 3 jackets with that sort of action back and they are great for bicycling and other sporty activities. In the original working Norfolk jackets the strips of fabric running down the back and front were actually either added or cut on box pleats. I think it was in the revivals that they came to be just strips of fabric sewn down. But from the beginning there were many designs that fell under the Norfolk umbrella as can be seen in the period drafting books. Yoked, unyoked, front yoke, back yoke, inverted pleats, rear center pleat, pockets in the front pleats. I would really like to see some of the early examples from say the 1880's.

Michael

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Some of my favorite types of jackets. Unfortunately, a lot of other men think so too. I've never seen one in the wild, and they aren't cheap in the vintage sites online.

Keep an eye on this ebay storefront:
http://stores.ebay.com/themuseumoftweed/

Their prices are very reasonable! I got my Norfolk from them and it's wonderful - bi-swing sleeves, stitched half-belted. In fact, I'm wearing it right now =)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Thanks. I'd love to have a full Norfolk made with hidden pockets in the front vertical straps and all. Big bellowed lower pockets. I have all the details written down somewhere. There are a lot of tiny variations, and I've found I'm attracted to a very specific type. I'd certainly buy other variations, but I have my heart set on a set of details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana