Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not impressed ELC

Xopher

A-List Customer
Was anyone else not impressed by an Eastman product? I just bought the B6 standard and when it arrived I had a sweeping emotion of "wow it's great", followed by a "dammmm this is thin" it just feels to me that it won't be durable at all and that if I catch it on a door knob wrong it would rip a six hundred dollar hole in it. Am I just being picky or did anyone else have a similar feeling. I think I may return it

tonypaj

Practically Family
Thin is just fine. My worry with the B-6 is how the lower back sort of flares out. Mine is an Aero. I reckon I bought a size big. Then again, I'm sure it will be fine with use.

Having had a B-3 (way too hot) and still have also an Irvin, the B-6 feels most pleasant to wear, with much more use where I am. Not in the rain, though, it stinks, already got it wet once. I guess it's wet lamb, the others do it the same.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I have owned and handled several ELC B-6 and D-1 jackets over the years and yes, they are noticeably (and accurately) thinner than the B-3 but not to the extent that they are fragile, and I would seriously doubt you have a 'rogue' one as their quality control is second to none. I would suggest contacting them or HPA if that is where you bought it for reassurance. They are IMO worth every penny and very versatile only improving with wear.

Dumb&dumber

Familiar Face
Same here, most of ELC products become more nad more " thin " in quality but more and more high in price...
Clever Lever ( John by his first name) wrote a few things on this already ( and IMHO I fully agree) especialy on older Irvins compared to nowadays Irvins...No harm done... Good luck pay and buy new stuff..ignore the bay or the VLJ...( )

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely pics HD...thanks for posting :) I purchased an ELC D-1 of recent times deliberately because of the thinner shearling ..compared to an Irvin (D-1 much more practical in the S.West UK). No concerns here regarding my D-1 being too fragile.

IMG_0483.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
(Edited to remove erroneous supposition, please see my post below.)

Honestly, and I hope it helps, I have three ELCs; two new, one old. And each of them have given me doubts as to whether they fit right or are breaking in properly.

Luckily, after my experience with the B-6 I have come to accept that an Eastman just won't look quite right for at least three seasons of wear. Once they fold, crease, and the texture comes out, I have yet to be disappointed by any of the three of them.

This may or may not relate to your particular issue with them. But I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. If the quality is off or it just fails to meet your expectations, by all means send it back. There are a few B-6 makers out there, so luckily you have some choices available to you.

Deacon

15 year old Redskin B-6

89d552b997269a2ef78d9dfc773f2a22.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Deacon, I really like the appearance of that B-6 and wish I could get some use from such a coat in N Texas but not enough cold days here to justify the purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points