Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutria felt in the modern day

W4ASZ

Practically Family
CRH said:
Consider this thread under surveillance..............

hpim2493.jpg

We welcome your surveillance, because our interests are entirely coextensive. :eek: :) :eusa_clap

Derek WC

Banned
I agree, imagine how many hat's that could have made.

W4ASZ said:
Would you favor the .17 rimfire for this application, or ye old .22 long rifle ?

.22 for me. This year's deer & elk season I'm going to use my grandpa's 80 odd year old lever single shot .22 LR for rabbits and nutria if I see 'em.

From what I understand, nutria fur is a lot like beaver so I would assume that it could be felted.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I'd just love to have the opportunity to judge which stew tastes better.

Maine Beaver or Louisiana Nutria.

[huh]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Derek WC said:
I agree, imagine how many hat's that could have made.

.22 for me. This year's deer & elk season I'm going to use my grandpa's 80 odd year old lever single shot .22 LR for rabbits and nutria if I see 'em.

From what I understand, nutria fur is a lot like beaver so I would assume that it could be felted.

Wow, beaver-type fur from an over-abundant pest? I can see it now - quality beaver-like-fur fedora price drop! Ah, maybe not.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Part of a larger plan ?

The little nuisances made great, high-quality hats. I just don't own one, except maybe in a blended felt. Who knows ?

Between the Louisiana nutria, the foreign snakes in the Everglades, and the non-native possums in New Zealand you could end up with an outfit made almost entirely of invasive species. New Zealand's Possumfur (possum and merino wool) is doubtless too warm for where I live, though, and not cheap.

I have been told that nutria makes a good stew. I'd be more interested in sausage :

http://www.nutria.com/site18.php :essen: :beer:

There is much other good information at that site, which is run by the State of Louisiana and not by the nutria themselves.

donnc

One of the Regulars
W4ASZ said:
Between the Louisiana nutria, the foreign snakes in the Everglades, and the non-native possums in New Zealand you could end up with an outfit made almost entirely of invasive species.

Don't miss out on the wild hogs all over the South. By some accounts quite the destructive menace, though that could be a myth for all I know. If you want to go get a hog, I think they're not as easy to find as the nutria (and you might want to bring a little more firepower), but there's a lot of hide on one.

In this part of the country, you can have all the Canadian geese you want, maybe could get some down off them. I've never heard of a pigskin down jacket, but it sounds cozy.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
donnc said:
Don't miss out on the wild hogs all over the South. By some accounts quite the destructive menace, though that could be a myth for all I know. If you want to go get a hog, I think they're not as easy to find as the nutria (and you might want to bring a little more firepower), but there's a lot of hide on one.

In this part of the country, you can have all the Canadian geese you want, maybe could get some down off them. I've never heard of a pigskin down jacket, but it sounds cozy.

Hogzilla.

hatflick1

Practically Family
The RAT PACK

National Geographic has a show on its cable channel called After Dark, or some such. The attractive, jeans clad hostess goes off to various locales to see what the nocturnal critters are up to.
In one installment, she rode along one night with a couple of New Orleans Sheriffs who fired rifles from the back of their truck killing nutria as they scampered along river and canal banks.
The rodents pose a real threat to the city.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
hatflick1 said:
National Geographic has a show on its cable channel called After Dark, or some such. The attractive, jeans clad hostess goes off to various locales to see what the nocturnal critters are up to.
In one installment, she rode along one night with a couple of New Orleans Sheriffs who fired rifles from the back of their truck killing nutria as they scampered along river and canal banks.
The rodents pose a real threat to the city.

I can envision this episode spun off as a regular series, but the name Rat Patrol has been used previously.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Nutria Range in the U.S.

The map at this site from the USGS is recent and something to hang your hat on. The narrative is enlightening, as well.

http://www.pserie.psu.edu/seagrant/ais/watershed/nutria.htm

I see that they are virtually next door to me. Who knew ?

This article is less than two years old and addresses waste of the pelts, meat, and teeth. (!)

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20081118/ARTICLES/811180287?p=1&tc=pg

And I wonder how this Cajun slip-and-fall variant turned out ?

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20090507/HURBLOG/905079845

Demand Rat for your Hat !

4spurs

One of the Regulars
cleanup spillover

Given the uncertainty of the longterm impact of the BP oil spill on the Brown Pelican some folks in the bayou state have thought about making the nutria the state bird. I for one have only seen them fly when shot.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
4spurs said:
Given the uncertainty of the longterm impact of the BP oil spill on the Brown Pelican some folks in the bayou state have thought about making the nutria the state bird. I for one have only seen them fly when shot.

When does the hunting season for BP executives open, and what is the bag limit ? :eek:

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Highly gratifying experience

So aside from Optimo, has any hatter used Nutria in their hats in recent days?

My graphite gray light weight has been around the world with me and rolled, beaten, crushed, soaked and... well abused since 2004 and it may have shrunk in the crown a bit, yet it's still holding up extremely well. It's been through two blockings so far, but that's because I needed to get it cleaned since it was looking grungy.

It's nearly a half and half beaver nutria blend with a touch of hare.

I do have to say its crown has shrunk less than any other modern hat I have owned. There are no signs of holes being created or the felt breaking down. It's just tough and floppy.

So what's your experience with nutria, and how does it hold up for you?

Are there any hatters using it today?

26446_382394433810_642563810_4013918_4381013_n.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

In reply to the original post, I finally was able to obtain a nice Stetson Nutria from a reputable fellow Fedora Lounge denizen. I have no complaints about the durability of the material, especially given the hat's age, perhaps sixty years. (It has been tastefully overhauled, I must add.)

I would like to have a few more hats o' rat should the opportunities present. ;) This hat is not at all "floppy" but has a really nice fine finish to it. I have no idea what the "mix" might have been, or if it's all nutria.

Stetson%20nutria%205.jpg

In very recent news, the critters are still at large and vexing State of Louisiana authorities :

http://www.wdsu.com/r/27042904/detail.html

If you don't call in the Fedora Bureau of Investigation now, when do you ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21